No announcement yet.

Buying a decked out neck need input!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying a decked out neck need input!

My understanding: 5/4 (or 4/4, 8/4, 6/4, ect.) refers to the dimensional size of the board. Quartersawn (not 1/4) refers the the orientation of the grain.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
      All these can be played with no finish which is pure bliss
      It also saves a bundle of $$$ because getting a neck finished can be pricey.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

BIG THANKS TO COHIBACRIS

Originally posted by jaybonitrane
        That's what they call it.
        4 quarter turns of the stock is a 360 then another turn=quarter sawn maple.
        I don't know exactly why they say that.. But it has something to do with the way the machine is set up.
        Originally posted by cohibacris View Post
        5/4 actually refers to 5 quarter inch segments, or 1.25 inches thick...

The OPs question - I just spec'd a Warmoth neck with pau ferro and maple; I love the look of the pau ferro and it's plenty hard without being 'standard'... The other options mentioned are also cool!
        Yep. That is what 5/4 (spoken: "five fourths") wood is. (Approximately) 1.25" thick.

The wood thickness is another stumbling block for the beginner. Hardwood lumber is sold based on its thickness, the length of board will often vary and width of each board will almost always vary. Wood thickness is expressed in quarters of an inch in rough sawn thickness. You may have seen prices that look like this "4/4 Red Oak $3.25". In that example price the 4/4 refers to thickness of the wood. If you're thinking, hey isn't 4/4 just 1. In math yes, it most certainly is but in woodworking it is just called 4/4. In a lumberyard and in woodworking it is pronounced "four quarters", saying "1 inch" or "four fourths" might work but it isn’t how it is generally referred.
        If you’re wondering why doesn't my 4/4 lumber measure a full 1 inch thick. The thickness refers to its rough sawn thickness. By the time you plane and joint the face of your board you are not likely to get a board much thicker than 3/4 of an inch. The more your wood is processed before you get it the closer it will be to 3/4 rather than 1 inch thick.
        Other than the very common size of 4/4, there are other common sizes of lumber available. Some other sizes are 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 12/4 and even 16/4. Not all wood is available in all sizes.
        Anyone who wrote "5/4 sawn maple" did so in error, and likely meant to include a modifier such as "flat" for flatsawn or "quarter" for quartersawn.

Flatsawn is the most common, quartersawn is the most talked about / marketed.

Please see this thread for information: Guitar Craftpedia by Frudua

The various definitions as "quarter sawn", "slab sawn", "slab cut", "flat sawn" and "rift sawn", all refer to different ways to cut the boards from a tree according to the type of use and look the wood is meant to be used for. In the above photo we can see how the most common kind of cuts flat sawn, rift sawn (the most diffused) and quarter sawn appears into the tree.

In picture two at right, we have highlighted in yellow the flat sawn cuts layered one over each other. Notice how there is enough wood for a lot of slab boards even of a certain width. It's possible to obtain one piece bodies from the widest boards and bodies in 2/3 pieces from the narrower ones.

In pink we have highlighted the quarter sawn cuts. As you can see the tree only allows 3 quarter sawn cuts for each quarter of which only one is a real quarter sawn: the one in the middle of the three. The other already start to become "rift sawn".

What we learn is that from a tree section like the above, it is possible to obtain only 14 flat and rift sawn boards and 4 "real" quarter sawn boards (one for each quarter of tree).

This is why quarter sawn is generally more rare and expensive.
        Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM.
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Also, get your neck built by USACG if you are going high end.

Get it made out of rosewood.
          Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaybonitrane
            Quarter sawn or 5/4 sawn. Is punchy and is preferred by blues players
            Flat sawn makes the chords ride and sustain but the singles are weak.

Comment

i just got a jazz bass neck made up by warmoth. Ebony on the front and goncalo alves on the back, cos i wanted a wood that i could leave unfinished ( only oil). Sounds nice and feels slick.
              Dunno if tha thelps or not, but i definitely prefer this to a maple/rosewood.
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-18-2012, 01:03 AM.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

yea, i like the idea of an ebony board, SS frets, wenge or any other smooth no finish necessary neck wood.

I seriously want some rolled edges like I6's build from a while back. How is that axe doing bro?

Im getting some cash from a weekend south beach gig in june, gonna go straight into this when i cash those checks, clips and pics when it goes down!
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
                  yea, i like the idea of an ebony board, SS frets, wenge or any other smooth no finish necessary neck wood.

I seriously want some rolled edges like I6's build from a while back. How is that axe doing bro?

Im getting some cash from a weekend south beach gig in june, gonna go straight into this when i cash those checks, clips and pics when it goes down!
                  If you want the rolled edges, holla at USACG - they are the best in the biz.

That build is (shamefully) paused. I could put the bridge and neck on it today and play it, I just haven't decided on a pickguard design. I have to decide on a design before I make the template for the pickguard, then make the pickguard and position it and drill its holes, then mark the positions of the pickups and their mounting and such before I paint it, so basically, I have to pick which pickguard design I like best (I have drawn a million) before I get on with it.

If I had to gig the guitar tonight, I could, though. Albeit with only one pickup and no finish on the body or neck

Comment

This neck is starting to look very tempting!

how much would a rosewood/ebony board usacg run me?
                    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
                      I always thought a RW/ebony neck would rule. Rosewood always produces nice tone timbres and is so strong, compared to maple, you may not even need a truss rod.

I'd go Warmoth, with a nice VIP model body mahogany/maple cap, non-recessed floyd route, with a Wolfgang profile Warmoth (3x3 type) neck RW/ebony with SS 6115s. I wish they had more neck pocket/neck heel options. I'd like something like an Ibanez heel design.

Comment

yea that sounds really good.

I've been looking at the 'gecko' paddle necks with the warmoth headstock ala PRS, just might look amazing on my strat, still tempted to go exotic and get something like an all cocobolo.....

6115 is between vintage and jumbo? or is that the taller fret with the same width as a vintage?

Comment

im definitely open to having a darker sounding neck, and the SS frets contributing to a more precise treble on the very top end.

If this neck takes me in the right direction, next up will be callaham block and saddles.

Comment

dis one is the GAS rite now

Comment

would there be a problem fitting this LP style neck on my strat? http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Show...dy=1&Path=Neck

besides that, im really feeling this bocote neck!

Comment

I dunno - if you can get the LP neck off and check the pocket you'll want to be darn sure. The rounded corners on the strat replacement necks from W aren't necessarily direct replacements for everything if you know what i mean. Warmoth has the specs on the pocket requirements and it's altogether possible (but I'd be willing to bet that you can find a bocote or coco neck with the proper LP config in the Showcase too...not much, but maybe $1...)

Close and shims might do it but you said earlier that you wanted the baddie arse neck, so don't rush. 2 diazpams and keep at it! You'll find it...
                                Cheers - Cris
                                ----------------------------------------------------------
                                "It's rock and roll, man - you're not going to make real music 'trying'; you make real music by putting down what you've got and letting the audience decide" paraphrase from Lemmy Kilmister - "Lemmy"

Comment

Working...
                                X