Ibanez Darkstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Darkstone

Hey all, just wondering what your thoughts are on the Ibanez Darkstone guitar (the standard one with humbuckers, not the sparkly one with P-90s/single coils)

Anyone played one??
    LtKojak, on the theory of having too many guitars...

Also, I'd like to remind you that the very concept of having "too many guitars" just doesn't exist. It's been selfishly created by parents and/or girlfriends/wives to lure you to stay away of your passions just to have more of YOUR money and YOUR time at THEIR disposal!

Re: Ibanez Darkstone

I've seen them where the wood around the pots breaks off. Something about the control cavity being too deep

Comment

Hmm.. thats not good... anything else?

Also, I'd like to remind you that the very concept of having "too many guitars" just doesn't exist. It's been selfishly created by parents and/or girlfriends/wives to lure you to stay away of your passions just to have more of YOUR money and YOUR time at THEIR disposal!

Comment

Everything else I hear is good. They sound great and feel very comfortable

Comment

Maybe something could be put in the control cavity to try and counterbalance the problem? is it that the pots were too short in a too big controll cavity or something?

But I am seriously interested in one of these babies

Comment

Never noticed them until this thread, but I'd be interested in finding out how good of a tonewood Sapele makes.

Comment

I suppose it's possible I haven't actually opened it up and looked around. If you can figure it out that'd be great because it is a beautiful instrument.

Comment

^^ Sapele is basically asian Mahogany, so you know what kind of tone to expect.

They look good, if nothing else .

I'm also intrigued by them (especially the pups they're using - tube pole pieces), I'd like to try one. They seem to have a more traditional neck shape too.

I don't think they're MIJ though.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I tried one of those. I wasn't very impressed, or left down either. It felt solid, the tone was very... balanced. Very middle ground.
                  Nothing stood out in particular but it didn't dissapoint me either. Not what you want to feel when buying a new guitar, I imagine.
                  I do remember that the rosewood fretboard looked and felt cheap. Too pale or something.

It felt like a very traditional instrument until you looked at it.
                  Last edited by Diego; 05-28-2012, 06:40 PM.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Well... considering my current guitar is a epi lp 100... when I did play this, I was quite impressed... in some ways, it's more of a les paul than my lp 100 haha!!

Nice and chunky... I personally can't stand the S series guitars, when I play them they feel like a toy, but this, this felt good to me.

Been reading some reviews, and I can't find anything about the wood braking away around the controls, may just a bad batch??

I think there may be a NGD thread in the next couple of weeks from me
                    Last edited by Mont97; 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

That's good man. You're gonna buy new or used?

Keep an eye on used PRS SE guitars. That's gonna feel like a million dollars compared to your LP100.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Probably new, down here in south australia, there isn't much choice, and I haven't come across a single PRS dealer or a used PRS.... it's hard enough to find used les pauls studios or even a used strat....

Definatly want a white one, so I may have to order it in... originaly price for a black one at a nearby store is around $950 (I hate how much the prices go up for australians) but the next 5 weeks is the end of financial year sales, so around 25% off... or 20% off if I order it in white and they have to special order it...

Comment

Originally posted by Mont97 View Post
                          Been reading some reviews, and I can't find anything about the wood braking away around the controls, may just a batch?

That is very possible. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by dreadguard268 View Post
                            That is very possible. Good luck to you.
                            Thanks dreadguard NGD very soon hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                              Keep an eye on used PRS SE guitars.
                              This is good advice. I got a real nice playing Custom 22 for $350 in mint condition with a Rio Grande pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X