Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ibanez Darkstone

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    This is good advice. I got a real nice playing Custom 22 for $350 in mint condition with a Rio Grande pickup.
    Alas, there are hardly any used guitars on the market in south australia
    LtKojak, on the theory of having too many guitars...

Also, I'd like to remind you that the very concept of having "too many guitars" just doesn't exist. It's been selfishly created by parents and/or girlfriends/wives to lure you to stay away of your passions just to have more of YOUR money and YOUR time at THEIR disposal!

Comment

here is a review of it, seems promising:

Also, I'd like to remind you that the very concept of having "too many guitars" just doesn't exist. It's been selfishly created by parents and/or girlfriends/wives to lure you to stay away of your passions just to have more of YOUR money and YOUR time at THEIR disposal!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        I tried one of those. I wasn't very impressed, or left down either. It felt solid, the tone was very... balanced. Very middle ground.
        Nothing stood out in particular but it didn't dissapoint me either. Not what you want to feel when buying a new guitar, I imagine.
        I do remember that the rosewood fretboard looked and felt cheap. Too pale or something.

It felt like a very traditional instrument until you looked at it.
        About the rosewood fretboard, I felt it was just a bit too dry? I thought that some lemon oil might help?

Comment

Sapele is definitely not "basically Asian mahogany". Sapele is very similar to "real" mahogany, and comes from Africa, not Asia. I'm sure the fellow who wrote that has a good deal of experience with Sapele, and is eager to warn others of the tonal Hindenburg that would result from using a guitar with such garbage...

Comment

Originally posted by telekaster78 View Post
            Sapele is definitely not "basically Asian mahogany". Sapele is very similar to "real" mahogany, and comes from Africa, not Asia. I'm sure the fellow who wrote that has a good deal of experience with Sapele, and is eager to warn others of the tonal Hindenburg that would result from using a guitar with such garbage...
            please explain?

Comment

Sapele is a tonewood with a tonal response which is similar to mahogany, and looks very much the same as well. I was a bit snarky in that reply only because it bugs me when people spread bad info about a pretty good product. Don't be scared off by sapele.

Comment

Originally posted by telekaster78 View Post
                Sapele is a tonewood with a tonal response which is similar to mahogany, and looks very much the same as well. I was a bit snarky in that reply only because it bugs me when people spread bad info about a pretty good product. Don't be scared off by sapele.
                Sounds good then.... thanks for the info

Comment

It's all right, mang, I never endeavoured to suggest that Sapele is inferior, and I certainly don't have an interest in warning off people regarding guitars made of particular kinds of wood. What I meant was that you can expect a mahogany tone from it - warm, round highs etc. Apologies for any confusion.

And you're right, t78, it's from Africa - my bad.

See the variety of Sapele grain patterns here: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...ics/sapele.htm.
                  Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 05-30-2012, 02:46 AM.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                  X