I'm an idiot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm an idiot.

I routinely leave my gibsons on my couch in my jam room and the temp fluctuates and all and they have dropped... Still solid.

My explorer was even one that fell off the rack at Mars music and aside from a chip in the headstock, it was good. Then I screwed it all to heck... Slam it on cymbals and all. Still plays good and sounds great. Looks like poop! Noone will steal it!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
      not gonna change it much...figured I'd add a 1/4" maple top to it to bring the whole body thickness to just under 1 3/4", a little bit thinner than a strat/tele. may even do a very subtle carve like the SG Diablo.

I realize i'll be changing up the fundamentals of the SG style, especially with the neck tenon size, but I also think it'll make a fantastic sounding guitar.
      I think the idea of making a thicker-bodied SG with a maple cap si freaking brilliant. I lvoe the upper fret access the SG provides, but compared to Les Pauls, the tone just sounds way too wimpy for me. So your construction would truly be a LP/SG. Which would rock. So very, very much.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

It seems you have been Ed Roman brainwashed An SG won't break if you treat it ok!

Comment

What do people play their SG's with, sledgehammers? I really can't figure out why a Gibson SG Standard would implode if taken on the road. I've played the crap out of 3 of them over the years, and they were just as reliable as my strats or PRS guitars. As a matter of fact, I've had more problems with necks on Strats than my SG's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
            What do people play their SG's with, sledgehammers?
            No, silly!!! I use a pick.

Originally posted by DreX
            Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
            The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
            There's no substance to anything I have posted.
            Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
            I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

A Thicker Mahogany Bodied SG with a Thick Flamed Maple Carved Top would be my absolute Dream Guitar......i'd call it the Les G. Now go build it Dammit!!!

Comment

Lol, not gonna build it for a few years still.

But I'm planning every little detail. I just finished designing the headstock I wanna use. Sort of a cross between a PRS and a Gibson headstock. Had to leave the open-book pattern there, for homage purposes.

Also I'm trying to figure out all the woods (and sources for those woods) that I wanna use. Mahogany for the body and neck obviously. Flame maple cap on the body and I'm torn as to what to use for the fretboard. I've narrowed down the options to Rosewood, Granadillo or Ziricote, all of which are easily available. Decisions, decisions....

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  EVERY Gibson I ever owned ( and there have been several!!) fell apart on me out on the road. That was why I went to over to Carvin, Washburn USA and PRS they DON'T. The frets have worn more quickly the finish discolors and cracks + the necks are not as stable on every Gibson I have ever owned in comparison to other brand guitars I have owned.
                  Now I play Washburn USA, Carvin or PRS and other high end stuff but will never own another Gibson. Won't pay premium prices for the Gibson name when that won't stay together for me on the road!
                  I do NOT abuse my stuff and as a matter of fact I have guitars and amps that are over 20 years old have seen road work and still are in great shape. NOT the Gibsons I have owned but---.
                  Fell apart? lol
                  You should pass this information on to all the misguided professional touring musicians all over the world who mistakenly use gibsons. They are clearly getting it wrong.
                  In fact, i think i better sell my axes too before my gigs next week just in case the heads fall off. I'm lucky it hasn't happened sooner.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-30-2012, 06:00 AM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

So this is the colour scheme of what I envision for this idiotic endeavour.

Comment

Remember my non-Gibson SG thread?

Well after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to chance a real Gibson falling apart because of bad design. Also, if i ever meet TLD, he won't be able to break my guitar by looking at it.

So I decided to do the only thing more idiotic than looking for a better built copy of a Gibson SG.

After I earn my 2nd university degree which I'm starting next year, I'm going to build a better SG, from scratch. Slightly thicker body, bigger/more solid neck joint, nice chunky volute under the truss rod access. Possibly with a flamed maple top and a nice burst to go with it.

Yes, my graduation present to myself will be planks of wood.
                      Well, not for nothing, but I bought my SG standard in 68 or 69! I recently got it refretted. After 44 years she needed it. In '72 or 73 I replaced the stock tuners with grovers (I still have the originals). About 10 years ago I replaced the nylon saddles with graphite. These items were replaced because the originals wore out. Other then these minor changes the guitar is stock! This guitar was my only electric from when I bought it until 1987 when I bought my first Strat. This guitar has no headstock breaks or neck issues, so if your thinking that the SG is inferior in some way you are wrong! This guitar has been and will always be a very special guitar to me. I don't know if I could ever replace it. I don't get the idea that there is something inferior about the SG. Now granted I am not jumping around the stage like Pete Townsend used to but to me its a very well put together guitar. It plays incredibly well, It has tone to die for and other have said they are head stock heavy. I put grovers on mine and I use a good quality leather strap and it stays right where I want it. I actually had the strap made about a week after I got the guitar. The strap is also 44 years old! WTF???

"So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Remember my non-Gibson SG thread?

Well after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to chance a real Gibson falling apart because of bad design. Also, if i ever meet TLD, he won't be able to break my guitar by looking at it.

So I decided to do the only thing more idiotic than looking for a better built copy of a Gibson SG.

After I earn my 2nd university degree which I'm starting next year, I'm going to build a better SG, from scratch. Slightly thicker body, bigger/more solid neck joint, nice chunky volute under the truss rod access. Possibly with a flamed maple top and a nice burst to go with it.

Yes, my graduation present to myself will be planks of wood.
                        What you want is one of those old Yamaha "SG"s.

They have Les Paul thickness bodies and stable neck joints and do everything you want. The flashy models are very expensive but guitars like the SG500 (or is it called SBG500?) are affordable and sound the same.

Comment

This is the only SG I've ever actually wanted to own.
                          Made by MLP member ExNihilo.

MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                          Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Working...
                          X