banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maple necks warp without a proper finish....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: maple necks warp without a proper finish....

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
    As your thumb/palm move up and down the neck while playing you buff the satin out to a gloss. Takes some time but it will happen
    If you buff something to a gloss it is no longer dull the 2 adjectives are opposite. Its like calling someone a skinny fat boy. I'm aware of the phenomenon that playing a satin neck will buff it out but it still cant be dull and glossy at the same time.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
      Tru- Oil is gunstock oil.

If any guitar company uses gunstock oil on their necks, it's most likely Tru-Oil
      Not really. Tru Oil might also be sold to be used on gunstocks.

But in practice Tru Oil builds up a real finish and regular gunstock oil does not.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post

By the way, tru-oil is *not* a hard finish. It will not prevent warping like poly or nitro etc.
        Are you thinking Tung Oil, because Birchwood Casey Tru Oil is a polymer.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

By the way, tru-oil is *not* a hard finish. It will not prevent warping like poly or nitro etc.
          Tru Oil is a Polymerized oil:

From Flexner's book: "It (polymerized oil) cures very fast and very hard and resists water and water-vapor penetration".

Sounds like a great finish for a guitar neck.

Comment

+1 for Tru Oil. I just finished a new Warmoth neck with 10 coats, used 400 grade steel wool between each coat and the finish feels as if it is bare wood. I am tempted to remove the Tung oil from the body and also finish that in Tru Oil but Id rather be playing if you know what I mean.
            Last edited by xntrick; 11-08-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xntrick View Post
              +1 for Tru Oil. I just finished a new Warmoth neck stuff with 10 coats, used 400 grade steel wool between each coat and the finish feels as if it is bare wood. I am tempted to remove the Tung oil from the body and also finish that in Tru Oil but Id rather be playing if you know what I mean.
              I have done a couple of necks with it. Fantastic feeling finish

Comment

Working...
              X