will sg with maple quilt top sound different than a reg sg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: will sg with maple quilt top sound different than a reg sg

Feast your eyes on this!!!!! The Gibson SG Diablo Premium plus w/Tone Pros Bridge and Grover Locking Tuners I don't care what I have to do, I'm gonna own one of these soon......

and

and

Comment

FWIW, I have seen people saying these are unusable bright.

Comment

It would probably make a slight difference. But it will vary guitar to guitar. I have played maple topped black beauties (in fact, I own one) that are far muddier than traditional-style mahogany topped black beauties (which I would love to own).
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
          FWIW, I have seen people saying these are unusable bright.
          Maple's brightness is created by the clash of the amount upper mids in a pickup and the upper mids of the maple. Maple actually kinda attenuates a bit of the bass and treble. Thats why a JB sounds great in a all maple guitar, it tightens the bass and does away with some treble thus making it sound incredible. IIRC ash and etc... are actually bright I the treble frequencies.

The is all IME and IMO of course.
          My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
          The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
          Originally posted by CTN
          I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
          FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
            Maple's brightness is created by the clash of the amount upper mids in a pickup and the upper mids of the maple. Maple actually kinda attenuates a bit of the bass and treble. Thats why a JB sounds great in a all maple guitar, it tightens the bass and does away with some treble thus making it sound incredible. IIRC ash and etc... are actually bright I the treble frequencies.

The is all IME and IMO of course.
            If these SG supremes are too bright I don't think it is the maple.

If they are too bright then it is because after you subtract the new layer the actual mahogany body way too thin.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
              While the Supremes have a flamed top, isn't it a veneer? Seems like it would be too thin to be a real maple top.
              The Supremes was an American female singing group and the premier act of Motown Records during the 1960s. I don't recall them having flamed tops although they did have some rather wonderful stage outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                If these SG supremes are too bright I don't think it is the maple.

If they are too bright then it is because after you subtract the new layer the actual mahogany body way too thin.
                I think I may have quoted your post by mistake, meaning to quote someone else. I agree with you completely, there might not be enough mahogany to make the bass frequencies noticeable. It would make sense.
                My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                Originally posted by CTN
                I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Working...
                X