X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CTN builds a Star

Originally posted by CTN View Post
    Mt. Joe excited?
    Olympus Mons is feeling a little inadequate at the moment.

Comment

<-------My bg custom has a similar wiring setup to what you are proposing i just added two push pulls that revers parallel. its quiet mega and still has the simple look but you can get a range of extra sounds. Anyway i am sure you have considered this just stating the obvious once again haha

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
        oh fak i nearly choked on a piece of meat I was eating.

Kramersteen...yeah I considered it, but i'd only use split tones and such for non-metal playing. I like humbucker sounds for metal. That said, I've been tossing around the idea of a hot stack or another type of stack in the neck position because I love playing high gain leads with single coil-esque neck tones (yngwie influence), but I can't stand the hum.
        Last edited by CTN; 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
          Rock on the mons

Comment

What about a true bypass switch there all metal and allow a direct path from pickup to jack, Ahhhhhchuga

Comment

when I had the JB8 in my strat with a 500k vol, it sounded tooooo bright. 250k solved that, but considering that, I don't think full bypass would be that great an idea, but I could always test it out with a mini toggle to see if it's any good before committing to it by drilling the body.

the only difference in woods with the strat was that it has a rosewood fretboard, whereas the star's gonna have pau ferro. supposedly a bit brighter, and better attack than rosewood. My plan for countering the additional brightness was reducing the scale length to 24.75". So theoretically, the star should have roughly the same tonality as my strat.
              Last edited by CTN; 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

when I had the JB8 in my strat with a 500k vol, it sounded tooooo bright. 250k solved that, but considering that, I don't think full bypass would be that great an idea, but I could always test it out with a mini toggle to see if it's any good.
                Well the theory behind it is that every pot/switch you add actually takes away some tone. Not a lot of the heavy metal players i know actually never touch the tone knob its just always maxed out. I think thats why single humbucker 1 volume guitars where really popular during the 80's

Comment

no i know that.... (again, captain obvious ) but I had exactly the same pups in my strat and they sounded seriously SERIOUSLY frickin amazing. It too had just a master vol and master tone. I'm trying to not change a whole lot cuz I really dug the sound I was getting then. Thing is I converted my strat back to an SSS setup, so these pickups were just sitting around not getting used, even though I desperately wanted to use em.

Comment

I don't like you beating me to this.

I'm feeling quite inept at this point.

Comment

hahahaha I wasn't aware we were having a contest

But you could still catch up, most of my parts and the neck are still a few weeks out.

Comment

Will be cool to see it when your finished, and to hear what it sounds like.
                        Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

hahahaha I wasn't aware we were having a contest

But you could still catch up, most of my parts and the neck are still a few weeks out.
                          Nah, I've got three projects in front of it, I'll probably get to mine this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                            What about a true bypass switch there all metal and allow a direct path from pickup to jack, Ahhhhhchuga
                            I can only read the last word of this post as George of Otto and George. If you don't know Otto and George, you've missed out on a great piece of life.

Comment

I've gone mad.

I decided to make a hard but lightweight case for this guitar. It'll end up being cheaper than buying a hard, heavy case, and lighter, too. I'm not gonna go out on major tours, so a light case should be fine.

Ordered the basic hardware (hinges, latches, handle, corner protectors) last night. I'll get all the framing materials when the neck comes in so I can make some accurate measurements.

Comment

I shaped part of the rear on the lower bout near the neck heel. My hand was getting jammed up there before, and I wanted to make sure I had good access to higher frets. So this is kinda inspired by the cutaway part of the Warmoth contoured heel. Amazing how a dremel can make short work of a good bit of wood removal. Certainly easier than slaving away with hand files. Though I did use files and sandpaper to clean it up and get it smooth.

I'm also gonna route down from the barely visible line on the heel (in the 1st pic) to the edge, probably about 1/4" deep so that the heel doesn't dig into my palm as much, but I'll do that later, when I get the neck, cuz I need to make sure there's enough thickness for the neck mounting screws to not poke through the fretboard.

Last edited by CTN; 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X