• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New D'addario NYXL strings

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    Try 54.

Bill
    You the man Bill!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
      Worth is relative to the individual.

If I could get 7 or 8 weeks out of a set, 12 bucks would be worth it to me. Changing strings every week gets old, not to mention just about the time they settle up for good is when they die/corrode out beyond keeping them on. I have found a few sets that last longer for me on average..blue steels and boomers, but I hate the tone of them on my Les Paul...they are way too bright.
      I easily get a few months out of them & I use the D'Addario XL 115's & the J17's now granted I don't play the same guitar every day,at least my electrics but my acoustics I can go a couple months before I have to change them. I know they are a totally different material but still I think that's pretty good.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
        Try 54.

Bill
        Ye gods.....
        DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
          Disclaimer: I'm affiliated with D'Addario.

What are the differences and similarities between DAddario and Cleartone strings?

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
            What are the differences and similarities between DAddario and Cleartone strings?

I am not Evan, or an endorser of either, but IME the clear tones sound harsh. The NYXL sound pretty good. I do not like the tension of either. Dad is tight, clear tones are loosey goosey rubberbands.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I am not Evan, or an endorser of either, but IME the clear tones sound harsh. The NYXL sound pretty good. I do not like the tension of either. Dad is tight, clear tones are loosey goosey rubberbands.
              For once I agree, cleartones..... Yuk
              DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

Comment

I am 99% sure that Cleartone strings are actually manufactured by D'Addario, with Cleartone's coating process. I wouldn't expect someone who is affiliated with D'Addario to verify this, as these types of affiliations are generally kept secret by the companies involved.

Al

Comment

Well.... After 3 and a half weeks of bashing my NYXL1046, I busted the A string. Thats better than all other brands for me!!! The rep told me yesterday that the 11-49 gauge lands in Australia late July. Can't wait!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                    I also had the problem of breaking strings constantly when I was using D'Addario's, that's one of the reasons I gave up on them. I don't have that problem with other brands I use. I also think their electric strings have a sort of "mid-scooped" sound to them, so they sounded thinner than other brands.
                    You won't have a problem of breaking strings with NYXL. They're 30% stronger than any other electric guitar string. It has to do with the drawing process and because they solder the twist. And they don't have a mid-scooped sound to them. In fact, NYXL actually has a slight bump between 1 kHz and 3.5 kHz.

The similarity is that they're both family-run companies that are very serious about guitar strings. Actually, Cleartone is a brand. The company is Everly Music Co., founded by the late-Phil Everly and run by his son Jason Everly. They have sub-brands like B52s and Reds. D'Addario is a much larger company with many sub-brands: Planet Waves, Rico, Pro-Mark, Evans, etc.

Cleartone are electric, acoustic, bass, and mandolin strings that have been treated with a coating process. All Cleartone strings are coated. D'Addario has many different string types for many instruments, coated and non-coated, regular tension and balanced tension. Check out their website and you can see all the different types of strings they offer.

One of the big things that makes D'Addario different from all the big string companies is that--in addition to winding their strings--they also own and operate their own wire mill, located across the street from the string winding factory. Not only does this make them far more vertically integrated than any other string company in the world, but it gives them certain competitive advantages. NYXL is one of them. What makes NYXL stronger than any other guitar string is something that only D'Addario has. And again, it has to do with the drawing process.

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                    I am 99% sure that Cleartone strings are actually manufactured by D'Addario, with Cleartone's coating process. I wouldn't expect someone who is affiliated with D'Addario to verify this, as these types of affiliations are generally kept secret by the companies involved.
                    And I'm 100% sure you're wrong. (Sorry).

But the thing with conspiracy theorists, the more evidence you give them that they're wrong, the more they believe the conspiracy goes deeper and the evidence is tainted.
                    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                      But the thing with conspiracy theorists, the more evidence you give them that they're wrong, the more they believe the conspiracy goes deeper and the evidence is tainted.
                      Pshhhh... don't ruin a good story with the facts!!

FWIW I prefer D'addario XL's to Cleartone's electric strings, but Cleartone's acoustic strings are fantastic.

Comment

Cleartone states on their website that they manufacture the strings themselves in CA or wherever they are located.

Glad folks are digging the NYXLs. I do not break strings often at all. I kill 'em dead before they get to the point of easy breakage, so that is not a big selling point for me. Nice tone though.
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Cleartone states on their website that they manufacture the strings themselves in CA or wherever they are located.
                          North Hollywood, CA.
                          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Cool info Evan! Thanks! Ive been a D'addario user for years.
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Still haven't used my free beta sample pack sorry !
                              Originally posted by Oinkus
                              I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

It could be that I'm confusing Cleartone with some other coated strings, the main company behind the strings I'm thinking about is Gore, who came out with Gore-Tex, and the coating process. They are not a string-making company, so I believe they have the strings made by another company. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a fan of coated strings, so I probably have my brands mixed up. What company came out with the first coated strings, a few years ago?.

Al

Glad folks are digging the NYXLs. I do not break strings often at all. I kill 'em dead before they get to the point of easy breakage, so that is not a big selling point for me. Nice tone though.

Comment

Working...
                                X