banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

The guard on mine has never been off, so I don't know what's under there.

Those old Gibson finishes are THICK. Paint stripper will make quick work of that finish with less risk to the wood and far less effort than Scotch-Brite pads. Just take care to keep it off the bindings and the peghead face, by applying a little at a time in controlled areas. And work outside, with gloves, a mask, and preferably a pair of long-sleeved coveralls. Put cardboard down first. Melted laquer that has re-hardened is hard to remove from concrete.

Some Bondo will take care of the cracks. Just paint it a solid color, and make sure to use several applications of wood pore filler on the entire guitar body, so you have a glassy smooth surface (will keep the Bondo'd crack from showing a different texture than the rest of the guitar). Try to keep the pore filler out of the serial number.

The proper tuners are individual double ring keystones, which are available new (Gotoh, I think).

I am sure you're aware it had a Vibrola originally. Reproductions can be purchased new (relatively inexpensive, since it's not a Maestro Vibrola with the extra trim plate).

It's worth whatever you put into it, IMO. It's a great project.

FYI, MJT Aged Finishes do refin set necks. While I personally dislike fake aging, they do a tasteful "closet clean," which can be requested with no yellowing and no artificial dings, and which you can polish up further yourself in order to get it looking like new. Worth the price for a vintage peice, IMO. I have refin'd set necks myself, and while it's certainly possible at home, with good results, you do have to know what you're doing, and be ready for a long, involved process.

Personally, I would keep it a Special.

Good luck. I am jealous of your opportunity to work on such a project!
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-15-2018, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    That '69 SG project is right up my alley (I have an all-original '68 Standard myself). Should be fun!
    Does your '68 have 3 humbucker routes under the pickguard? This one is rather light. I'm debating whether to restore it as a special or make it a "standard". I got it dirt cheap. Unfortuantely, the nibs were taken off during the last refret and there's the break by the cavity. A couple hundred bucks is better than a $2750-$6000 SG Special or Standard. Once I'm done, this will be roughly be the cost of a new SG Standard. I want to restore it to this:

Edit: F***in a, 2018 sg standards are $1500+??? Wow. Nevermind, I might go under ha.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-14-2018, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

That '69 SG project is right up my alley (I have an all-original '68 Standard myself). Should be fun!

Leave a comment:

• muttznmongrelz
    replied

Sold two guitars last week and now I’ve got necks and bodies to put together two Kramer Muttz. Waiting on a ‘87 PC1 Body to go with the ‘83 Lefty Voyager Maple Neck (it’s modded for Righty) and a Warmoth Pau Ferro Board Strat Headstock Neck to go with the ‘89 Grape Ice F6K Body with Blue DiMarzios and ‘86 OFR with 34mm Big Brass Block.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 06-15-2018, 06:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

She's done for now. I like the aged pickguard better since it's a natural cream color. I might order another cream pickguard in a couple months.

As a side note, the oxidation and aging of the candy gold is pretty interesting. It rubs off if you sweat on it for awhile. It softens and is vulnerable to being removed. Now I know why this thing has tons of aging in the back. My apt. has been hot and I've been playing with my shirt off. I'm going to put a dent in this once the temp reaches into the 90s.

Leave a comment:

• RorySquier
    replied

^
    Thanks a lot. I hope I can get them finished sometime in the near future. I just have to find all the parts that I have stored away.

;>)/

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied
    Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

^^ Nice!

Leave a comment:

• RorySquier
    replied

Here's a couple of pawn shop finds that I've painted myself. I'm still working on getting back in the electronics in these guitars. Hopefully they turn out well.

;>)/

Leave a comment:

• kramersteen
    replied

I'm waiting for inspiration and motivation to help me finish my tele hybrid shred machine. I have been consumed by racing drone builds and i'm just waiting on that to settle so i can get to it again. What i need to do is a custom job for someone else that might get me motivated again.

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

Checking

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-07-2018, 08:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

Another strat build: 1998 Fender Strat AVRI '57 Candy Gold body. 1996 Squier MIK VN neck. Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon. Going for a single p'up Eb setup, but I might change it up in the future. Despite the heavy wear on the body, it has no checking. Will see if I can get it to check. The body was heavily played and used. The squier neck seems to line up, but not as much as I would like. May go with another neck instead. Did a quick mock up and it looks good so far. I might assemble it this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ChAoZ
    replied

Haven't made a bass for a while and they sell well so ......

Click image for larger version

Name:	34371621_1478944512210095_318485513059172352_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5808461

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

More progress on the SG. The cracks are becoming more undone. Doesn't seem like it was a solid repair to begin with. The seller told me the guitar came to him as a project. It's more slow going and requires more patience. Trying not saturate the wood in acetone, but it also needs to sit longer since I can't apply too much pressure. Hope to be done with the body by Thursday.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-04-2018, 03:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

Okay, so the SG is rocking a 3 piece mahogany neck. Definitely a '69 lol. One piece body and no volute. Acetone + Scotch-brite pad + elbow grease = spray paint/lacquer removal.

I'm going to use naptha and a SB pad to remove the finish off the neck. Looks like some sort of clear coat was applied to stop the finish from corroding.

The neck has tons of checking.. Seems like crime to remove it, but this will be my summer project. Already spoke with my tech/luthier, we're going to restore this in the Fall. Given all my spare parts and some of the work I'm putting in, I won't be spending too much on this. Especially since '69 Specials run for $2500-$3500. Standards for $4200-6500.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-31-2018, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kirby15
    replied

a build coming on

Ash 2-piece body, that stripe down the middle is totally natural! ...PRS shape

Name:	IMG_20180409_215132.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	5808417

Spalted beech top glued on.....

Name:	IMG_20180416_162759.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5808418

and....after dyeing...still some more coats needed at the top left for the fade into green. Thats with the ibanez wizard3 neck that will be going on

Name:	IMG_20180419_170104.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5808419

more pics will follow when its complete! hopefully it'll work out ok!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X