banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied
    Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Adding another project(s) into the mix. I should have a strat build coming up soon hopefully. For now: 1968-1969 Gibson SG Special. A rare and fortunate eBay steal.

Pots date to 1969, but serial is more towards 1968. Could be a transitional SG. I bought the husk only and she has definitely seen better days. The body suffered cracks by the control cavity and I believe it was spray painted black to cover it up. Its starting to peel, so I'll be attempting to remove it with acetone or naptha once more parts arrive. The goal right now is to see if it's worth restoring.

I scraped off some gunk from the frets, but need more cleaning supplies from my storage unit. I had some Kluson tuners in my parts drawer, so they got slapped on. A old lightning bridge from a melody maker. I used spare pots, PIO cap, and a cream Antiquity bridge. The pickup is jerry rigged for the moment, but surprisingly, the HB fit the route without any issues. Strung up with Dunlop Rev Willy 10s. Despite the wear, the neck feels at home. .841" at the 1st fret/1.02 at the 12th. Feels like your typically 60s neck, but it's on the fuller side. Sounds great unplugged, but will need a refret. The antiquity sits well with the SG. Once parts start trickling in, she'll be getting some vintage p90s ('55) in her. Will try it as a Special, but when I bought it, I did have the intention of converting it into a standard since it's going to be overhauled. She has potential. A diamond in the rough if I ever landed one.

I will probably post a thread once it comes all together, but I don't expect to get this one started until the Fall. I'll post an update once I piece it as a special.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-31-2018, 01:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    Oooh, Wizz with white bobbins; I dig those. Gorgeous axe!
    Might just be the LED bulb in my apt. It's more of a light cream.

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
    Slippin on some Missis. Mud and doing a pickup swap (Wizz pickups) on the ol' Koa 356. Feels good to be on summer break \m/

Edit: The end product. I have to order some gold polepieces, but I'm loving the change.

Oooh, Wizz with white bobbins; I dig those. Gorgeous axe!

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

Slippin on some Missis. Mud and doing a pickup swap (Wizz pickups) on the ol' Koa 356. Feels good to be on summer break \m/

Edit: The end product. I have to order some gold polepieces, but I'm loving the change.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-21-2018, 11:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pat_rocks_and_rolls
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_163255.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	5806430

Name:	20180429_214051.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	5806431

Name:	20180429_215300.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	5806432

Just needs some neck sanding (too much relicing on it). Final relicing on the body plus amber stain and tung oil on the dents.

Leave a comment:

• rgand
    replied

I see some really nice projects displayed here. Compliments to you all. I figured I'd better jump on board.

This is a combination of all the things I like best in a Tele, Strat and Marauder (type II prototype body). Lightweight swamp ash body, roasted maple neck. I have to route the pickup cavities deeper because I made them too shallow initially (oops). Then I can get into wiring and assembly.

Leave a comment:

• silvertonebetty
    replied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

This one's still in the planning stages, but should be fun when it's done:

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
    Currently deciding whether to go with a antiquity neck double cream or filter tron style pickup for the Fireman. She's getting a quarter sawn maple neck soon enough.

Cosmetically, I’m digging that Filtertron. It gives it kind of a cool “old“ metallic look, especially combined with the telecaster style bridge and control plate.

Leave a comment:

• YeRedHouseOverYonder
    replied

Currently deciding whether to go with a antiquity neck double cream or filter tron style pickup for the Fireman. She's getting a quarter sawn maple neck soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• silvertonebetty
    replied

I’m working on a shelf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    Love that pickguard on the seafoam Strat! [emoji1303]
    Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    Where did you locate that pickguard, my good sir? I've been looking all over for one of those in black and white.
    I've always had kind of a thing for tailfins, this one just really spoke to me. One thing that isn't readily apparent in my pic is that the trim strips at pointy end are actually chrome mirrored and fairly thick. I'm not sure if that's going to be a real problem for me or not, but for somebody who wears their Strats high it would dig into the tender part of the forearm. I've actually sanded down the uppermost point a bit just in case, but rounding it down more would leave the Lucite looking cloudy in that
    spot. It remains to be seen just how uncomfortable (or injurious) it will be in use.

Christopher, I got it on eBay two years ago from a seller in Canada. Whether they're still making 'em in black I can't say, but as of now there's one still listed for sale.

EDIT: I just checked; they now have 90 of them available so I guess they must still be making 'em.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 04-23-2018, 03:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chistopher
    replied

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89384[/ATTACH]
    Where did you locate that pickguard, my good sir? I've been looking all over for one of those in black and white.

Leave a comment:

• Lucius Paisley
    replied

It's present on many vintage style tele bodies. Having a rout there makes it quicker & easier to drill wiring holes into the neck pickup rout and the control cavity. Otherwise you have to use a really long bit at an angle.

Makes sense. Trying to put a bridge pu in place of the neck has been a ***** at times because sometimes it doesn't reach. If I didn't hate telecasters (sound fine, just ugly), I'd have had a workaround by now.

Leave a comment:

• Undone
    replied

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
    I've had this Warmoth Explorer body for probably 15 years. It's been my ongoing amateur guitar project. Had some cheaper g&b humbuckers and a strat style neck on it for a while but decided it needed an explorer style angled headstock and better pickups.

Neck is an maple/rosewood ebay special.
    Pickups are Duncan Designed HB-103's with a push/pull coil split on the volume pot
    Body is Warmoth mohagany circa 2002-2003
    Bridge is Gotoh
    Got the tuners at a local guitar shop around 15 years ago, not sure of the brand

I've left the body unfinished all these years, it's got some scuffs and dings, but I still can't decide how/if I want to finish it
    So far it plays well and sounds good. Got some black speed knobs ordered for it to replaces the amber knobs.

Leave her as is. Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X