banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

^^ Nice!
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

^
      Thanks a lot. I hope I can get them finished sometime in the near future. I just have to find all the parts that I have stored away.

;>)/
      sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

She's done for now. I like the aged pickguard better since it's a natural cream color. I might order another cream pickguard in a couple months.

As a side note, the oxidation and aging of the candy gold is pretty interesting. It rubs off if you sweat on it for awhile. It softens and is vulnerable to being removed. Now I know why this thing has tons of aging in the back. My apt. has been hot and I've been playing with my shirt off. I'm going to put a dent in this once the temp reaches into the 90s.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sold two guitars last week and now I’ve got necks and bodies to put together two Kramer Muttz. Waiting on a ‘87 PC1 Body to go with the ‘83 Lefty Voyager Maple Neck (it’s modded for Righty) and a Warmoth Pau Ferro Board Strat Headstock Neck to go with the ‘89 Grape Ice F6K Body with Blue DiMarzios and ‘86 OFR with 34mm Big Brass Block.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 06-15-2018, 06:06 AM.
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
          1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
          Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
          Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

That '69 SG project is right up my alley (I have an all-original '68 Standard myself). Should be fun!
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              That '69 SG project is right up my alley (I have an all-original '68 Standard myself). Should be fun!
              Does your '68 have 3 humbucker routes under the pickguard? This one is rather light. I'm debating whether to restore it as a special or make it a "standard". I got it dirt cheap. Unfortuantely, the nibs were taken off during the last refret and there's the break by the cavity. A couple hundred bucks is better than a $2750-$6000 SG Special or Standard. Once I'm done, this will be roughly be the cost of a new SG Standard. I want to restore it to this:

Edit: F***in a, 2018 sg standards are $1500+??? Wow. Nevermind, I might go under ha.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-14-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

The guard on mine has never been off, so I don't know what's under there.

Those old Gibson finishes are THICK. Paint stripper will make quick work of that finish with less risk to the wood and far less effort than Scotch-Brite pads. Just take care to keep it off the bindings and the peghead face, by applying a little at a time in controlled areas. And work outside, with gloves, a mask, and preferably a pair of long-sleeved coveralls. Put cardboard down first. Melted laquer that has re-hardened is hard to remove from concrete.

Some Bondo will take care of the cracks. Just paint it a solid color, and make sure to use several applications of wood pore filler on the entire guitar body, so you have a glassy smooth surface (will keep the Bondo'd crack from showing a different texture than the rest of the guitar). Try to keep the pore filler out of the serial number.

The proper tuners are individual double ring keystones, which are available new (Gotoh, I think).

I am sure you're aware it had a Vibrola originally. Reproductions can be purchased new (relatively inexpensive, since it's not a Maestro Vibrola with the extra trim plate).

It's worth whatever you put into it, IMO. It's a great project.

FYI, MJT Aged Finishes do refin set necks. While I personally dislike fake aging, they do a tasteful "closet clean," which can be requested with no yellowing and no artificial dings, and which you can polish up further yourself in order to get it looking like new. Worth the price for a vintage peice, IMO. I have refin'd set necks myself, and while it's certainly possible at home, with good results, you do have to know what you're doing, and be ready for a long, involved process.

Personally, I would keep it a Special.

Good luck. I am jealous of your opportunity to work on such a project!
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-15-2018, 12:31 AM.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Those old Gibson finishes are THICK. Paint stripper will make quick work of that finish with less risk to the wood and far less effort than Scotch-Brite pads.... Melted laquer that has re-hardened is hard to remove from concrete.
                  For real lol. I used lacquer thinner and it was syrupy and thick. Clogged up the scotch brite pads. I did make more progress however. Any suggestions for removing the melted lacquer more cleanly? I'll working on it Saturday and Sunday. Hope to finish it up this weekend.

I'm going to have my luthier assess the guitar this Saturday. More so the break. I found a screw that's embedded with wood putty. I feel comfortable stripping it. Fixing the break is a bit iffy, but finishing is out of my league. I've had him restore an old MM for me. It came out good.

Comment

Paint stripper + a putty knife, and some patience (and plenty of protective equipment – breathing paint stripper, even outside, for too long can give you a hell of a nasty cough). That'll make relatively clean work of the finish removal.

As for the break, ideally you could separate the broken pieces, clean off the old glue, and re-glue the pieces well. The re-gluing part is easy. The rest is not; it might be more trouble than it's worth. I would personally be tempted to just fill the cracks that are there with Bondo, and just slightly re-shape the body if its necessary in the spots where the broken piece sticks out farther than the body lines. The good news is that that area is just about the least contoured part of the entire body, so any re-shaping needed will not be too hard to do seamlessly.

Shame about the re-fret, but what can you do? At this point, just be happy the frets are decent – maybe have them dressed if needed. Mine are ground away beyond the level at which they should have been replaced. I really need to get it re-fretted. But I loathe the idea of of a re-fret, because: 1) It plays so well, and I love those frets (wide and low). 2) Hard to trust that a guitar tech can do a fret job right, preserving the binding nibs, while also getting the perfect size of fret on there. 3) The guitar is, quite literally, 100% original down to the screw, and belonged to my dad since it was only 6 or 8 years old. Those are the frets he played on for 30+ years.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM.
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

The guitar is, quite literally, 100% original down to the screw, and belonged to my dad since it was only 6 or 8 years old. Those are the frets he played on for 30+ years.
                      Dude, that is awesome. That guitar has been in the family for decades. I see why you'd want to keep it bone stock.

Ah, okay. I think I recall reading a thread at TDPRI regarding the putty knife. Makes tons of sense now. Cool, I'll definitely use that for the next portion of work. It'll cut down the cost of the restoration. The frets are passable and may only need a dressing. There is more wear in the first position though.

As for the break, I spoke with my luthier and he gave me 3 options. 1) Glue it place with bondo or epoxy, but risk the repair show due to contraction of the surrounding wood while the bondo or epoxy remain rigid. 2) Reinforce the cavity with a mahogany "veneer" under it. 3) Most extreme, but beneficial for the refinish, remove and add a new wing/bout. I was iffy about that. I understand why he recommended it, the entire right corner fell off. This would be the "2nd" repair. I'll post a pic soon. I don't mind modifying vintage guitars that have been already hacked (the nibs cut off and binding shaved), but I sorta draw the line with removing that much wood. Anything under the guard and maybe the inlays are fair game, but a bout? Man, I have to sit on it. Granted, I got the guitar dirt cheap, so I have options. I'm leaning towards bondo and the veneer under.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-16-2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5A73F13-7A77-4C48-AABF-ACFCA15617C0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	5808637Click image for larger version

Name:	2D20B161-1907-49F2-864A-3DE3F5838B22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	5808638Warmoth Pau Ferro Neck arrived - R3 Nut, Compound Radius, Jumbo 6100s and ‘59 Back Shape.
                        Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 06-18-2018, 07:46 AM.
                        MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                        1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                        1988 Kramer Nightswan
                        1989 Charvel Sambora
                        2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                        Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                        Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Finally got around to doing this to the Fireman Tele. Maple neck should be done in August. Will probably do a pickup swap on the 336 mahogany.

Comment

• Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

This beaut
                            My neck is finished and will be shipped early this week .

I’m thinking I need a bigsby for my ash tele [emoji848] it also needs a neck . The old one twisted on me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by silvertonebetty View Post
                              I’m thinking I need a bigsby for my ash tele [emoji848] it also needs a neck . The old one twisted on me .

I have a Tele vibramate in nickel that I'm not using if you're looking for one for your ash Tele.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                                I have a Tele vibramate in nickel that I'm not using if you're looking for one for your ash Tele.
                                I would but I’m that broke it’s not funny I could barely afford a 85cent peanut butter ball

Comment

Working...
                                X