Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tune-o-matic style bridges saddle direction question

Thread necromancy:

I'd had issues with my Les Paul since I bought it. B and G strings sharp even with the saddles all the way back.
    I had no idea I could flip the saddles. Just did it and I've got room to spare for further adjustments, and it's very well intonated now.
    I'm happy.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

[QUOTE=VinceT;3784842]+1 for intonation - on my Les Paul and 335 (both of which have Callaham replacement bridges), I had to flip a couple of saddles to get enough string to play with. And, while the Callaham did affect the tone, the saddle flip made no difference.

Hi. This was a couple of years ago but curious about your experience with the Callaham's. I've used their Strat stuff. Did you find the replacement bridge to be a worthwhile improvement? Thanks

Comment

The Callaham is a quality piece (like all Bill's stuff), but some users report a brighter tone (good or bad depending on user and guitar I guess).

The later Nashville style bridges are "thicker" allowing for more adjustment, so unlikely you would have to flip the saddles to intonate (like the ABR).
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by rom661 View Post

Hi. This was a couple of years ago but curious about your experience with the Callaham's. I've used their Strat stuff. Did you find the replacement bridge to be a worthwhile improvement? Thanks
          I can’t say I have a strong A-B because I changed to the Callaham on the 335 immediately on purchase because I enjoyed the one on my Les Paul so much! FWIW, I also took my MIM Strat to a Callahan unit for the same reason, but that was after a decade of playing the stock Fender bridge.

All of which says I must like it, I guess!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
            It's because of the design of the frame and the size of the screws. On either tune-o-matic bridge you DON'T want the string to touch the back of the bridge frame OR the intonation screws as it crosses the bridge. On the ABR-1, since the screw heads are larger than those of the Nashville, it makes sense to orient the ABR-1 with the screws facing the neck, next to the pickup.

Bill
            This is the correct answer.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
              +1 for intonation - on my Les Paul and 335 (both of which have Callaham replacement bridges), I had to flip a couple of saddles to get enough string to play with. And, while the Callaham did affect the tone, the saddle flip made no difference.

Hey Vince, how did you flip the saddles on your Callaham? I tried on one of mine, but when the adjustment screw reached the end of its travel, it just stopped turning. I couldn't get the screw out of the frame to flip the saddle.

Thanks.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

[QUOTE=rom661;4187184]
                Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                +1 for intonation - on my Les Paul and 335 (both of which have Callaham replacement bridges), I had to flip a couple of saddles to get enough string to play with. And, while the Callaham did affect the tone, the saddle flip made no difference.

See below....

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                The Callaham is a quality piece (like all Bill's stuff), but some users report a brighter tone (good or bad depending on user and guitar I guess).

The later Nashville style bridges are "thicker" allowing for more adjustment, so unlikely you would have to flip the saddles to intonate (like the ABR).
                I just put a set on my new Les Paul and I really like the change in tone. Ayrton is spot on, the Callaham set does add brighter tones into the mix, which for some Les Pauls is very much needed. In addition to "brightness" in general, the tone is also more articulate and open, with notes having more definition... both as single notes and as chords. And between the bridge and tail piece, I think the tail piece has more effect on the tone. Yes, the bridge is the same cold rolled steel, but the saddles are still nickel plated brass, like many other saddles.

I'm still getting to know the new tones of my LP with the new hardware, but overall I like the changes.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                  Hey Vince, how did you flip the saddles on your Callaham? I tried on one of mine, but when the adjustment screw reached the end of its travel, it just stopped turning. I couldn't get the screw out of the frame to flip the saddle.

Thanks.
                  It’s been a while, like 9 years or so, so I can’t quite recall how - I think I probably forced it to keep turning BUT can’t say that I did. I would recommend giving Callaham a call, or dropping them an email, to ask.

Best of luck ~Vince

Comment

Working...
                  X