X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quality gear... who knew?

Originally posted by DreX View Post
    All I know is what you've volunteered, they may have or had dead frets and don't play well, for whatever reason. To prove my point, all one would need to do is find an import that plays well and has no dead frets, and tbh, it would be a much harder task to find one that didn't play well, or which had dead frets.
    The original post said the MIA Strat I bought is nicer than the other guitars I own. I said nothing of any other import guitars. I made no generalizations about anything.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

There's nothing wrong with generalizing if the generalization is true. In general, domestic guitars have more costly cosmetic and token appointments, for example, I would agree with that.
      Wow....................... I can't even describe the amount of irony in this post...
      Originally posted by dg27
      Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

...and second, he never loses his cool in an argument.
        Yeah he does... just those threads have been nuked into that great black hole in the sky
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Just for the record, I'm well aware of the whole Drex thing (not that it isn't obvious).

But, you gotta give the guy credit. I just realized:

First, unlike many, he has proven he plays (recent clips he posted).

...and second, he never loses his cool in an argument.
          No, but he appears to be quite the contrarian... some/many times that comes across as quite troll-like. It's like trying to argue with a lawyer. They love it. Ends-up being a dog chasing its tail even trying.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            The original post said the MIA Strat I bought is nicer than the other guitars I own. I said nothing of any other import guitars. I made no generalizations about anything.
            I'll annotate the generalizations:

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            First off, I apologize for repeated posts about my new Strat. I'm just REALLY fired up about it

In the past, setting up a guitar [not these particular guitars] always took me quite a few tries to get right. Maxed out truss rods, less than stellar fret work, etc... The stuff I ended up sticking with were the gems of the cheap bunch. They sound good and I could get them playing well enough.

Fast forward to a few days ago, and this MIA Strat[no specific model mentioned] has really opened my eyes to how crappy all my other stuff is. I cleaned and oiled the board, polished the frets, put on new strings, raised the action, intonated it, all in a single sitting (minus time for the uber thirsty rosewood to soak up the oil). I've never had a guitar that played so well.

Budget guitars[not these particular guitars], it was a fun ride, but it's pretty cool to be able to play every fret on the neck.

Comment

The problem with this debate is that there is no debate. It is just a series of "no, it isn't" responses to every point made. Kinda like the Monty Python argument shop skit.

Put something else in for pricier guitars, and you can have the same non-argument.

Polyester budget shirt vs. upper-end cotton shirt

1. I love my new cotton shirt. I can't believe it feels so much better than my old polyester ones.
              - no it doesn't. You just think it does. Define "better feel"

2. Well, it breathes better. You know, lets moisture in and out.
              - that's just your preference. Sometimes the purpose of a shirt is to keep moisture in.

3. Well, it feels nicer, it's softer.
              - there is no way to quantify that. Some people may prefer the feel of polyester. You are just a natural-fibre snob.

4. But almost every sane human being prefers the feel of cotton, come on, man!
              - they only feel that way because they are all mindless dupes of the cotton marketing cabal. There is no quantifiable difference between cotton and polyester.

5. Are you serious? Polyester feels gross!
              - there have been remarkable developments in artificial fabrics. You are thinking of old disco suits from the '70s.

6. No I'm not. I'm talking about the five polyester shirts in my closet.
              - well, you must have bad ones. The vast majority of polyester shirts are every bit as nice as pricey cotton ones.

7. Ask anyone to touch a polyester shirt and then to touch a cotton one. Overwhelmingly, they will prefer the cotton one.
              - there has never been a study scientifically proving cotton shirts feel better than polyester ones.

8. I'm sure scientists have better things to do than to do studies on the blatantly obvious.
              - that doesn't refute the fact that no such test proving your side exists. Therefore, you are wrong.

9. How does the absence of a test proving me right prove me wrong?
              - Here's a study showing how bees can't tell the difference between hay and garden flowers.

10. (New participant) You know, I wore polyester shirts for years. Thought they were good enough. Finally sprung for some cotton ones. I gotta admit, they are better.
              - Your experience is irrelevant, and subjective.

11. Of course it's subjective! I'm wearing the damn thing!
              - You only like it better because it looks fancier.

12 It doesn't look fancier. It's a plain white shirt, just like the polyester ones!
              - Here's a graph.

Comment

If I showed that post to my 7 year old, his first grade education would enable him to understand the guitars I'm speaking of are the ones I own.

I shall assume you are either 6 (or less) years old, or you quit school prior to first grade.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                  No, but he appears to be quite the contrarian... some/many times that comes across as quite troll-like. It's like trying to argue with a lawyer. They love it. Ends-up being a dog chasing its tail even trying.
                  There's a segment of the guitar community that's utterly religious about the notion that nitro sound better than polly coatings, that dry wood sounds better than wetter wood, steel parts better than zinc, and so on, and the thing is they act like it's a universal truth, for example the assumption that you would buy a $500 guitar with zinc parts with dreams of one day replacing them them Callaham steel parts, or even upgrading the pickups, but the truth is all those stock components perform flawlessly and do not require upgrading, the upgrades are purely optional. They make assumptions that imports are for beginners and domestics are for pros... but they can't tell you why that should be, or how that came to be. It's circular logic: why do pros play domestic guitars? Because they're the best. Why are they the best? Because the pros play them... When you have a group of guitarists so deeply entrenched in domestic guitar worship, a dissenting opinion is going to seem contrarian. If this were a domestic gutiar worship forum, I could be be considered a troll since I would be there to defy the very thing that forum us about, but this is a pickup forum, and I'd bet you dollars to donuts they find their way into more imports than domestics, by orders of magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

There's a segment of the guitar community that's utterly religious about the notion that nitro sound better than polly coatings, that dry wood sounds better than wetter wood, steel parts better than zinc, and so on, and the thing is they act like it's a universal truth, for example the assumption that you would buy a $500 guitar with zinc parts with dreams of one day replacing them them Callaham steel parts, or even upgrading the pickups, but the truth is all those stock components perform flawlessly and do not require upgrading, the upgrades are purely optional. They make assumptions that imports are for beginners and domestics are for pros... but they can't tell you why that should be, or how that came to be. It's circular logic: why do pros play domestic guitars? Because they're the best. Why are they the best? Because the pros play them... When you have a group of guitarists so deeply entrenched in domestic guitar worship, a dissenting opinion is going to seem contrarian. If this were a domestic gutiar worship forum, I could be be considered a troll since I would be there to defy the very thing that forum us about, but this is a pickup forum, and I'd bet you dollars to donuts they find their way into more imports than domestics, by orders of magnitude.
                      Well then I guess all the upgrades on my IMPORT strat copy have been moot! I guess the stock ceramic bar magnet single coils aren't as ****ty as I remember! All because Drex says they didn't need to be upgraded!

The arguments of nitro vs poly has nothing to do with the debate... That is a touchy subject that has believers on both sides. However there is almost no argument on the quality of budget vs high end guitars... sure with a good setup and pickup adjustment you can get an affinity squier to sound and play pretty good stock. But you'll soon realize after playing a MIA strat that there is no comparison. Sure you can upgrade the squier but in the end it's still a squier.... not bashing squier it's just the truth. It's like buying a Ford pinto... it's cheap and gets the job done. sure you can make it faster, paint it, handle better etc but in the end you're still left with a pinto... however when you see a brand spanking new mustang you're gonna wonder why you even bothered with the pinto when the mustang already has everything you want. It's fast, looks good, handles great and to boot it's somewhat affordable... That is essentially what the OP was pointing out... except in relation to guitars of course.
                      Originally posted by dg27
                      Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Anybody else notice a broken record playing in here?

Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                          Anybody else notice a broken record playing in here?

Its been playing for what the last 5 months?
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                            Well then I guess all the upgrades on my IMPORT strat copy have been moot! I guess the stock ceramic bar magnet single coils aren't as ****ty as I remember! All because Drex says they didn't need to be upgraded!
                            Some Duncans and DiMarzios use ceramic magnets...

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                            The arguments of nitro vs poly has nothing to do with the debate... That is a touchy subject that has believers on both sides. However there is almost no argument on the quality of budget vs high end guitars... sure with a good setup and pickup adjustment you can get an affinity squier to sound and play pretty good stock. But you'll soon realize after playing a MIA strat that there is no comparison. Sure you can upgrade the squier but in the end it's still a squier.... not bashing squier it's just the truth. It's like buying a Ford pinto... it's cheap and gets the job done. sure you can make it faster, paint it, handle better etc but in the end you're still left with a pinto... however when you see a brand spanking new mustang you're gonna wonder why you even bothered with the pinto when the mustang already has everything you want. It's fast, looks good, handles great and to boot it's somewhat affordable... That is essentially what the OP was pointing out... except in relation to guitars of course.
                            The thing about "quality" is that it usually it applies to how well something functions, which is to say good quality lasts a long time or works well / low quality breaks quickly or performs poorly, but in the world of guitar the meaning of the word "quality" has been perverted to simply mean "vintage". For example, a nato or poplar body guitar is considered "low quality" compared to ash or mahogany, but all these woods perform equally "well" and none will wear out faster than another, if at all, but the ash or mahogany is prized because it's what was used in the vintage era, and the latter are associated with import guitars. Same with steel versus zinc, the difference between them is one of tone, not of performance. Contrast this with soft metal saxophones, where the soft metal will cause the instrument to contort and break, such is not the case in electric guitar application, where the metal type has to no consequence with respect to functionality. When you spend $1000, mostly what you're paying for is vintage style and aesthetic, not better "quality" in the word's true meaning.

Comment

DreX, JB_From_Hell has been a member for quite a while. He's a respected member of the community. He comes back to talk shop again, or share an experience, and you manage to turn it into an 8-page religious debate (which is a banned topic), and if I were he, I'd just quit again. You try to make people believe that your opinions are fact, and in doing so, are driving away members whom I value personally. Established, respected members.

So can you please do us a favor and make your point then refrain from arguing about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                                Its been playing for what the last 5 months?
                                Well, if you think complaining about me is a valid use of your time, more power to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X