X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality gear... who knew?

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    Berklee schmerklee. This guy has never posted a single clip of his work here.
    He's claiming to be a Berklee graduate? With this kind of musical analysis of a song?

Parts he got wrong:
    "It is a pretty basic vamp in Eb" (it isn't)
    "with tonic arpeggios" (doesn't use)
    "He is leading with the relative minor" (nope)
    "he tunes to Eb which I am betting he does" (if you read the music Securb posted you would realize this is impossible BECAUSE OF THE FIRST NOTE)
    He also fails to realize that that chords printed on the sheet music don't make sense for the notes written out.
    Then he tells everyone how simple the song is . . . but how it's impossible for him to post a clip of it. Y'know. Because?

Can you major on the tambourine at Berklee? How would someone with instruction in a melodic instrument would make these kinds of simple mistakes?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
      I have some inexpensive-to mid-price guitars that I cherish--my Ibanez Artstar 335-clone, Artwood acoustic, Artist banjo, Ghostriders; my Fender Precision "Lyte" bass; my Takamine 12-string acoustics and the DanElectro 12-string electrics. And I have many really EXPENSIVE, jaw-dropping, beautiful instruments from Taylor, Martin, Gibson and G&L. Some are just exquisite musical instruments.

I started playing back in 1965, and my first guitar was a Stella Tenor guitar with strings about 3/4" above the fretboard. My second, third and fourth guitars were better, but they weren't pro quality, either. But by the time I was 26, I had been playing professionally and supporting myself solely with music income for five years, and I owned several professional quality guitars and amps--what would now be vintage gear. This would include: a Fender BF Band Master, Acoustic 156 and SUNN amps; a Fender Telecaster Thinline and a 1960 Strat; a Gibson ES-150DCN, an ES-330 and a '75 LP Special Reissue; and Martin D-18 and D-28 acoustics. Money was tight, so I had to buy wisely, and so I bought the best gear I could afford.

And I have NEVER regretted buying quality gear--not for one second.

Nor have I ever stood on a stage with one of my $2500 Les Pauls and thought, "Gee, I shoulda bought an Epiphone!"

And I do understand that not everyone can afford to buy expensive gear--or needs to. I think there is a fallacy in thinking that buying an inexpensive guitar and modding it is somehow better than buying a good guitar to begin with--it's a false economy, throwing good money after bad. (It's one of the things I love about my G&L guitars; they have exactly the mods I would choose to do on a regular Fender Strat, and they come that way from the factory...saves me time, and money.) Not everyone is trying to make a living playing guitar, so they might not need "The Best". And that's okay. I'd rather see you provide for your wife and kids and play a modest guitar than see them hungry and in rags--but I've known some guys that will buy stuff and leave their families wanting. Makes no sense to me.

So, I learned pretty early that I like good guitars. I can certainly tell the difference between a $300 Epi and a $2500 Gibson. And as a GENERALIZATION--yep, the $2500 Gibson is worth it--to me. But my situation is different, and I am very blessed at this point in my life to have such nice guitars.

To me it's not about, "Is this $2000 guitar worth it?" The real issue is that I'M WORTH IT; my career is WORTH IT. You may not feel the same way I do, and that's fine.

My name is Bill...and I AM a guitar snob.

(Proud of it, too!)

Bill
      I don't always agree with you on everything Bill... but your post nailed it here! I've stood on stage with guitars that cost me $200 (MIM strats, Squires, etc), and I've stood on stage with guitars that cost me $3,000. And I don't ever remember thinking "I should have gone with the cheap one today". Granted, part of the experience of owning and gigging a $2K+ instrument is the pride of showing-off your "fancy" steed (like owning a Ferrari or something). But it's also the knowledge that it's unlikely that well-crafted guitar is going to let you down. I can't say the same for the cheap guitars that I gigged. Some did let me down, some didn't.

I was recently discussing my Tom Anderson strat (Drop Top Classic) with a friend (who owns four Andersons) and I told him that one of the greatest things about owning such a flawless guitar is ALWAYS knowing that any weak link in the player-instrument interface is ME. I never have to worry about it letting me down. Some days as a player I'm "on", and some I'm off (not my best). With many lesser brands I would often wonder on those days, "is it me, or is it the guitar that's causing my less-than-satisfactory experience today?" Well... in the nearly six months that I've been playing the Anderson, I NEVER wonder if the guitar is the issue. I have 100% confidence in this tool that I use and I KNOW that if I'm playing less-than-inspired... it's all ME. It removes the question and the distraction of wondering if my guitar needs to be tweaked some (or upgraded altogether). I haven't felt this kind of confidence in over 30 years of playing (despite owning some top tier guitars). I've been very close, but there were always things that bothered me that I would change or wondered if it could be improved a little. In light of this, the high price of Anderson ownership is WELL worth it for me. Worth it enough that my music store manager buddy and I are already talking about my next Anderson (probably a straight Classic -- for a more old school strat tone/feel).

And just because I adore this guitar... another picture is in order. It's getting to be my "right arm" any more. Seriously, I'd given-up on strats for the past several years and this has turned that upside down. Now I only reach for the LPs when I'm in an LP-specific mood. Otherwise, it's the Anderson every time. Can ya feel the love?

Last edited by Red_Label; 03-24-2015, 07:17 AM.
      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

That Anderson is gorgeous, but I can't help but feel you're going to taint how people view their own instruments. You'd have been better off buying 10 $300 guitars that don't make you as happy, then spend your time convincing yourself it was a good decision rather than playing the crap out of the nice one.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          He's claiming to be a Berklee graduate? With this kind of musical analysis of a song?

Parts he got wrong:
          "It is a pretty basic vamp in Eb" (it isn't)
          "with tonic arpeggios" (doesn't use)
          "He is leading with the relative minor" (nope)
          "he tunes to Eb which I am betting he does" (if you read the music Securb posted you would realize this is impossible BECAUSE OF THE FIRST NOTE)
          He also fails to realize that that chords printed on the sheet music don't make sense for the notes written out.
          Then he tells everyone how simple the song is . . . but how it's impossible for him to post a clip of it. Y'know. Because
          Can you major on the tambourine at Berklee? How would someone with instruction in a melodic instrument would make these kinds of simple mistakes?
          Never said I graduated Berklee Steve I attend two years before transferring to another school. There are many different majors at Berklee none of them are tamborine. Do you know what my major was? I thought not. Steve I barley looked at your stupid piece of music and could care less about. I don't know if you are implying that I am lying about attending the school but could give a crap. Steve if you want to go there we can go there I have no freaking problem.

Steve what is your musical resume besides playing in your bedroom and being a self appointed internet guitar hero? What have you done?
          Last edited by Securb; 03-24-2015, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Now I remember why I took a break from this place....
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
              Now I remember why I took a break from this place....
              Um, yeah. Seems like this stuff was usually just in The Sound Room way back when.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Never said I graduated Berklee Steve I attend two years before transferring to another school. There are many different majors at Berklee none of them are tamborine. Do you know what my major was? I thought not. Steve I barley looked at your stupid piece of music and could care less about. I don't know if you are implying that I am lying about attending the school but could give a crap. Steve if you want to go there we can go there I have no freaking problem.

Steve what is your musical resume besides playing in your bedroom and being a self appointed internet guitar hero? What have you done?
                'My' stupid piece of music that you're referring to was the sheet that you found on your own. I read earlier in this thread that someone said you were a Berklee alumi which translated to 'graduate' to me. I have no idea if you attended Berklee or not, your demonstrated lack of understanding of music theory just seems a bit incongruous for someone who has seriously studied music.

I play guitar mostly as a hobby, occasionally for small bar gigs. Pretty much everything I've learned has been from books checked out of the library and from other people I've played with. Hell, my high school didn't even offer a music class! I am by no means a virtuoso, guitar hero, or a professional musician . . . which is why I've never claimed to be. I've certainly never claimed:

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                My musical resume dwarfs anything you have done with your crappy 80s cover band.
                . . . because that's an extraordinary claim. And would required . . . y'know . . . proof of that claim. And if I didn't provide that proof . . . I'd come off looking like an idiot.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

' I am by no means a virtuoso, guitar hero, or a professional musician . . . which is why I've never claimed to be. I've certainly never claimed:

. . . because that's an extraordinary claim. And would required . . . y'know . . . proof of that claim. And if I didn't provide that proof . . . I'd come off looking like an idiot.
                  Gee Steve I don't know where to start - I was doing radio interviews and got airplay before I was even out of High School. This was for an original band not some high school cover act. I don't know how I will prove this to you outside of pointing you to an old band page. I played on an album that won a Boston Music Award. I have played every major venue in Boston with some of the most impressive National Acts.

On the administrative side - Worked for a music publishing company and ran the in-house recording studio. I worked as an assistant to Aerosmith's Manager while I was in college. After college I managed the largest entertainment complex on the east coast which housed one of New England's largest rock clubs. I have booked rock shows with almost every important act from the Mtv era - Ace, Twister Sister, Slaughter, Jake E. Lee, Firehouse, Greg Howe, Cinderella...ect..

I did this all before I was 28. So yeah I have been around a bit. As far as theory goes I forgot half of what I learnt 30 years ago at Berklee because I haven't used it in 30 years. I will try to sharpen my skills for your benefit. Please give me a call next time you are playing Starbucks I would love to drop in for a cappuccino.

Comment

Cool. Got any recordings I can hear?

Comment

• Re: Quality gear... who knew?

I just came in to say that the cheap guitars that I've modded have always been better for me than the USA guitars I've owned.

I'm not going to spend 90% of the cost of an instrument getting that last 5% out of it.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I just came in to say that the cheap guitars that I've modded have always been better for me than the USA guitars I've owned.

I'm not going to spend 90% of the cost of an instrument getting that last 5% out of it. There's other things to spend money on.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Can you major on the tambourine at Berklee?
                          Doubtful... but I'm pretty sure they offer a major in the skin flute.

(drumroll please!)

*badump-tsss*

Comment

Cool. Got any recordings I can hear?
                            Here are the two songs that were getting airplay when I was in high school

One summer night in 1982 myself and my best friend Lenny were staggering through Malden Square. The Manager of an all night restaurant called Joe D's called us...

Last edited by Securb; 03-24-2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              Doubtful... but I'm pretty sure they offer a major in the skin flute.

(drumroll please!)

*badump-tsss*

How do you know that was your Mom an alumni?

Comment

I didn't go to Berklee or similar. I learned pretty much the same as the Alien on the bike dude did (GuitarStv).

What I have been doing in the last 15 years or so (31 years total experience) is of course tweaking guitar tone
                                (learned how to build my own guitars and amps) and the big mutha of them all: recording/mixing/"sound engineering".

I play out once in a blue moon (like to help out my bass player buddy with gigs) and contrary to popular opinion, I do not
                                play in an 80's cover band. I used to play in an 80's cover band... in the 80's.

Here's 3 very recent clips in no particular order:

LLL - The Sails Of Charon

LLL - Highland Wedding

LLL - BIAS Holy Wars
                                Last edited by LLL; 03-24-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X