pot shaft diameter????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pot shaft diameter????

Mainly as there are 2 forms of measurement. The modern metric system......adopted by the rest of the world quite a while ago. And the old rather confusing imperial system with all the silly fractional intervals. I think only the old lumbering dinosaur called USA holds onto this one.

But just about any time an experienced mechanic of any form orders replacement parts they will 'measure twice, cut once' as the saying goes. Now is a good time to learn this particular lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
      I think it's more than just the splines- the Asian pots actually have a narrower shaft.
      Some might be, but I've never run into one. I have always been able to use the same knobs that came off of an import guitar with cheap pots with the Bourns pots (coarse spline) that I have replaced them with. Bushing size is smaller on import pots, I've just never run into a smaller diameter shaft. I aint no luthier or tech, so maybe I've just been lucky.

Comment

If the knobs are loose on the shaft,use thin wall shrink tube plex Kodi Lucky Patcher
        Last edited by carlajiji; 09-02-2018, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Wrong wrong and wrong

Well...the spline count part is partially right. But when youve still got issues despite trying, just go to Tele-style domes with the little lockscrews
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

On my 50’s tribute Les Paul I did a Tone-Man fifties wiring harness with Bourns pots. I thought I was losing my mind when the Gibson knobs didn’t fit quite right on them. I noticed that on eBayTone-Man had knobs for sale that in his description said “these fit better on Bourns pots than most other knobs” I bought his knobs and they fit perfectly. The Gibson knobs seemed to have a narrower hole, and shallower.. The new knobs seated better and were closer to the body.

Comment

Yeah, with Les Pauls many knobs sit too high. The better ones are slightly recessed to get closer. Looks much better that way.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                Wrong wrong and wrong

Well...the spline count part is partially right. But when youve still got issues despite trying, just go to Tele-style domes with the little lockscrews
                What if you don't want tele style knobs with set screws? ...

Fine spline shaft = fine spline knobs. Coarse spline shaft = coarse spline knobs.
                Knobs are loose? The pots have split shafts, take a flat blade screwdriver and gently pry the two halves of the shaft a little bit apart. Problem solved.

Now tell me what's wrong about it.
                Last edited by Darg1911; 09-02-2018, 06:07 AM.

Comment

https://blog.philadelphialuthiertool...uitar-or-bass/

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    Yeah, with Les Pauls many knobs sit too high. The better ones are slightly recessed to get closer. Looks much better that way.
                    Washers and stuff can be used to recess the pot
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Nice link. And I realized that my 1st post in this thread missed the OP's point completely. But back on point, wouldn't the 1st thing you do be to remove the knobs and see what shaft style you have? Then order your new parts accordingly?

Comment

Tangentially related, does anyone know of a Gibson style speed knob with a setscrew for solid shaft Fender pots?

Comment

Check JAT Custom guitar parts. But they are expensive. Much cheaper to replace the pots. You could probably drill and tap a spline shaft knob but it probably wouldn't be that durable without a brass insert.

Comment

Working...
                          X