Interesting & Unexpected NGD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting & Unexpected NGD!

So, I was browsing the 'bay last week for something completely unrelated to guitars when this barebones shred monster popped up in my feed.

I wasn't in the market for a new guitar AT ALL, but the auction was ending within minutes and I simply couldn't stop myself from bidding (forgive me, wife!).

Internet lore suggests this model was originally designed by/for George Lynch, but he didn't end up moving his endorsement over to Washburn, so it sort of fell off the map. Who knows?! I DO know that one of the Washburn dealers several years ago offered a limited run of these with painted bodies and a different pickup, but this one appears to be true to its original (Lynch-inspired?) form with a satin natural body finish. It still has an original SD Custom Shop "El Diablo" holding down the lonely bridge spot, although this is probably not the pickup Lynch would have settled on if this had become his official signature model!
    • Schaller Floyd
    • 25.5" Scale
    • 1-11/16" nut width
    • 24 Jumbo frets
    • Quartersawn neck
    • Reverse, tilt-back headstock

Great fretwork with nicely rolled fretboard edges and a very fast, yet comfortable, Jackson-like neck profile. All in all, I'm very impressed! This guitar really makes me want to PLAY!

Now, I just have to convince the wife to let me keep it...

Does anyone here know anything else about this particular model?

EDIT: Washburn got back to me with this...

Originally posted by WASHBURN GUITARS
    Clint,

That looks like a Prototype "Outlaw" that was originally designed for George Lynch.

The production guitars had bullet hole inlays rather than bullets, and the Outlaw logo.

We have never taken one in for service and have not seen this guitar in person!
    Last edited by Masta' C; 03-17-2017, 03:55 PM.

Re: Interesting & Unexpected NGD!

Very nice. Especially with the stock El Diablo bridge.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Not my thing at all, but it sure is pretty! Congrats!

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Nice find! I'm not sure if it's just the photo, or something to do with black hardware on Maple, but in the reverse shot, the headstock looks really oversized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Beauty! Love that....what model IS it? hah

Vince T - Those Washburn head-stocks are big, but it angling back makes it look even bigger in that picture.
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
            Nice find! I'm not sure if it's just the photo, or something to do with black hardware on Maple, but in the reverse shot, the headstock looks really oversized.
            Thanks!

The headstock looks oversized in the reverse photo because of the tilt-back design putting it a little closer to the camera than the body and the fact that I was probably about eye-level with the headstock when I took the pic exaggerated the perspective further.

In person, it's very close to a standard "Strat" size headstock and has a very similar shape:

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            Beauty! Love that....what model IS it? hah
            Thanks! I love its simplicity.

No idea what model it *really* is, but there's a cowboy logo burned into the headstock, does that help?

Makes me wonder...if this really WAS intended as a Lynch signature at some point, it may have been dubbed the "Outlaw". Interestingly, Washburn issued a Lynch signature acoustic guitar called the "Outlaw" a few years after this was made. Coincidence?

I'm going to see if anyone at Washburn knows anything more about this oddity...

EDIT: Just emailed Washburn. Hopefully they deliver a better response than I received the last time I called on them (for warranty service, no less).
            Last edited by Masta' C; 03-17-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Washburn got back to me with this...

Originally posted by WASHBURN GUITARS
              Clint,

That looks like a Prototype "Outlaw" that was originally designed for George Lynch.

The production guitars had bullet hole inlays rather than bullets, and the Outlaw logo.

We have never taken one in for service and have not seen this guitar in person!

WOW!!!

Guess the internet lore was spot on this time...this really WAS meant to be a George Lynch sig called the "Outlaw" and mine may be the real deal original prototype!

Hell yeah!

My life's goal is now to have George sign it!

I may have to toss in a Super V or a Screamin' Demon in place of the El Diablo "just because"!!!

Comment

Wow, killer hot rod proto guitar find!

Comment

Tone Wood

Comment

LOL!!! I opened the thread and saw the first pic and I was like, Oh man, I thought the one on EBAY was the only one of these... haha I was watching this guitar.. If Id been in a buying position, I have snagged it cuz of the uniqueness. plus the El Diablo.
                    The bullet inlays tho... They are both cool and yet unappealing to me.. But again, the fact its so rare made it cool. Espec with the Lynch connection!
                    Congrats!!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

That is a cool score, with an awesome pickup there. Congrats!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks, guys!

For those that don't know, I have a longstanding love-hate relationship with the El Diablo. I first got one in a Kevin Bond signature Rhoads V back in '05 or so and have owned them off and on 3-4 times since, including another go 'round fairly recently.

It's an absolutely killer pickup and I'd rate it among the very top pickups Duncan has produced, but, without adding at least a coil split, the versatility outside of hard rock and metal is limited, especially in a one-pickup guitar (same problem I had with it in my Kevin Bond Rhoads).

I have the new SD Duality arriving any day and, as chance would have it, I ordered TWO! I'm going to try one in my Kevin Bond Rhoads and, if it works out as well as I suspect, this ol' Lynchy prototype might just get the same treatment!

Other option, assuming I don't stick with the El Diablo, is to grab a Super V pickup OR toss in a Screamin' Demon, which is one of my all-time favorites and probably the way George would have wanted it.

Decisions, decisions...

P.S. - The wife loves it, ha ha!

Comment

SH-6
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                            SH-6
                            Ooooh...old school Lynch right there!

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X