Dean Guitar Owners Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

Plays great - pickup is noisy as hell. One of these days I'm going to install a quiet P-90.
    That's a thing with single coils. Honestly, I've never had an issue.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Plays great - pickup is noisy as hell. One of these days I'm going to install a quiet P-90.
      Why not a dummy coil?
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Why not a dummy coil?
        You could ask Dean why they didn't do it, I suppose.
        A good stacked or sidewinder humbucker shaped and voiced like a P-90 is easier and cheaper.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that single coil hum is a last century problem and we shouldn't have to deal with it in this day and age.
        We have so many options today there is no excuse for it.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

A good stacked humbucker shaped and voiced like a P-90 is easier and cheaper.
          Well, Gibson tried it with the P100 and failed miserably...Quiet? Yes, but not very P90.

Comment

Gibson's version was terrible. SD's version does that much better.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lindy Fralin's are even better than Seymour's. I also like Trev Wilkinson's quiet P-90, and the Fluence P-90 made for Greg Koch is terrific.

Comment

Listen to this clip loud. Obvious the gain is aimed. How much noise do you hear? Other than taps on the guitar?

Comment

That was not a good example....

Comment

That was not a good example....
                    I'm saying with rectifier on 11, I'm not hearing an obnoxious hum. Some gain his....yes.

Again, if you are someone who can't focus on the music over the noise, you just need to get hum buckers and get over singles/P90's.

Comment

Many of my clients do studio work, they cannot have single coil hum.
                      As for live playing in clubs and arenas - it's a "dirty" sound environment and it's never going to be concert hall quality. You assume a certain amount of noise will be swallowed up by the building and the crowd.

And as for my Dean Leslie West - the hum is obnoxious through any of my amps - Marshall, Fender, Roland. It's not just because P-90s are noisy, but it's cheap Asian P-90's that really buzz. Doesn't matter if the channel is clean, crunchy, or overdriven to JP levels. The Dean deserves a quiet pickup, and I'll install one someday. Mostly I play my Cadillac - which incidentally, is one of the few instruments I own that is completely stock. I found no need to upgrade anything - it just works.
                      Last edited by ICTGoober; 10-01-2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

"Asia". Wouldn't bother to try to get more specific than that....

I figured it out myself. They're made by World Sound Music, WSM. Hence the serial of WSMxxxxxx.xxxx. I emailed WSM and asked them about it. WSM also makes guitars for Indio, J&D Guitars(in-house brand at The Music Store in Germany) as well as some models for Dean. Pretty certain they're a part of Yeou Chern Musical Instruments, as well.

Why wouldn't you bother getting more specific? 'Asia' could be any of hundreds or thousands of manufacturers. Sorry. That don't fly with me. At that rate, you might as well just make something up. It'd be just as correct as 'Asia' <shrug>
                        Last edited by Wound_Up; 01-06-2022, 04:38 AM.
                        JC
                        -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                        -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                        -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                        -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

It's definitely a factory in China. Which one, I'm not sure. But, it's not World Music or Cor-Tek
                          It turned out to be World Sound Music. Aka WSM. I emailed them and they confirmed that's their serial number and they mfg'd any guitar with a WSMxxxxxx.xxxx serial.

http://en.worldsoundmusic.cn/

I also found import documents from Indio(Monoprice.com), who sells my guitar. Their documentation said it was Yeou Chern Instruments, which I believe WSM is part of.
                          ​​

You can, see part of that documentation in the link below

https://www.importgenius.com/supplie...enterprises-co

Why can't I post pics? I get a 503 error every time I post a pic or even a smiley? Is the forum jacked up?
                          ​​
                          Last edited by Wound_Up; 01-06-2022, 04:56 AM.
                          JC
                          -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                          -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                          -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                          -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                          -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                          -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post

I figured it out myself. They're made by World Sound Music, WSM. Hence the serial of WSMxxxxxx.xxxx. I emailed WSM and asked them about it. WSM also makes guitars for Indio, J&D Guitars(in-house brand at The Music Store in Germany) as well as some models for Dean. Pretty certain they're a part of Yeou Chern Musical Instruments, as well.

Why wouldn't you bother getting more specific? 'Asia' could be any of hundreds or thousands of manufacturers. Sorry. That don't fly with me. At that rate, you might as well just make something up. It'd be just as correct as 'Asia' <shrug>
                            What does knowing where it came from do for you in the end?

It's a good guitar or a bad guitar. What if they made it at my Mom's house? Does that change how well it was or was was not made?

Explain why you WOULD get that specific. Mind open for reasoning...

Can't be resale value, because it's a Dean.
                            Last edited by Aceman; 01-06-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X