X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G string blues.......

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
    It's just 9-46, but yes, I would totally understand that.
    Just for an experiment- try a G string from a 9-42 set (I am not sure what size is on the guitar now). I wonder if that would stay in tune better.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

those both probably have a 16 gauge 3rd string, they dont get heavier till the wound strings.

do the balls in the nut roll smoothly if you move the string in the slot? the ping sure sounds like the but is binding

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        those both probably have a 16 gauge 3rd string, they dont get heavier till the wound strings.

do the balls in the nut roll smoothly if you move the string in the slot? the ping sure sounds like the but is binding
        Yes, they are the same. You mean nut right?

Comment

yes, unless there are other issues you havent mentioned

Comment

Comment

Ok, Houston? We've had a problem.

The knife edges are ROTTEN

The whole thing needs to be replaced. Fender, this is unforgivable. NO WAY should a guitar 5 years old be that shot. We're talking MAJOR wear.

Honestly at this point I think I block it and get a Suhr. I don't wanna put anymore money into this thing.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Dang, that makes it even weirder, you got a damaged tremolo unit and only the g goes out of tune. It's especially odd because the other strings stay in tune with tremolo use, but the g loses its tuning even when you bend it. Really odd indeed.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

As others have said, the nut is the usual suspect for that behavior, but if it is the saddles, as nice as Callaham is, the graphite is the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    Dang, that makes it even weirder, you got a damaged tremolo unit and only the g goes out of tune. It's especially odd because the other strings stay in tune with tremolo use, but the g loses its tuning even when you bend it. Really odd indeed.
                    you are right, but the pitch changes noticeably more on G, low E, the strings with the heaviest core.
                    Now, if it is indeed the knife edges, floyd rose, Ibanez ppl have a long history with various techniques to repair this (like sharpening the existing knife edges).

BTW A trem stabilizer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsxfKyhu2Do&t=12s would solve your problems . I have bought this specific one and is great.

Comment

What I've done is ditched the trem (w/o a proper block) , locked it down and have it totally flush.

I agree with what you guys are saying about the nut but nut sauce ought to at LEAST help. Absolutely not all. Not even a tiny bit. It wasn't that way when I got it. It was fine unless I did crazy stuff and again, the LSR has been replaced once. Yeah, with FR usually the whole thing is sharp/flat.

With it locked down and flush with no arm I can now "we eee EEE" and still in tune. Good enough for the time being.

I should have taken a pic, it's unrepairable. They knife edges basically are like they were hit with a nuke. They are mangled. I'm surprised it stayed in tune at all.

Comment

2 Things:

1) The knife edges on the trem can definitely be sharpened and polished to better-then-new condition. No need to ditch it or block it if you like and use the trem;

2) You description tells me that your problem is absolutely the nut (when you bend the string it pulls some string through the nut toward the saddle and binds the string when you release the pull. This leaves the string sounding flat. When you use your trem it releases some tension on the string allowing it to go through the nut toward the tuner. The nut binds the string and when the trem is released there is more tension on the string between the nut and saddle and therefore the string sounds sharp). I don't care if you've replaced it 10 times, the problem is still the same and it MAY just be coincidence that it was the G string both times. You should NOT use any kind of lubricant on an LSR roller nut...only compressed air to blow it clean. The lube will collect dust and other particulate matter that will grind the heck out of the rollers and gum it up causing the rollers to freeze up and pinch the string.

If it were me, I'd leave the saddles alone and replace the nut with a fixed bone nut. Make sure each groove is filed to the perfect size and shape with a widening taper and getting deeper toward the tuner. If done properly, the only part of the nut that touches the string should be a very small "U" shaped edge next to the fretboard. The rest of the groove in the nut should not touch the string.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I appreciate all the help given, but nobody seems to be listening to the things I've done. I've moved on.

Comment

Working...
                          X