NGD – My first Gibson Les Paul!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD – My first Gibson Les Paul!

Nice guitar, that's a catch for sure! Congrats on your new axe Enjoy!!
    If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Dammit! I wanted that....

Awesomeness....

Go to black speed knobs, a Dimebuicker bridge and a Demon in the neck. Bare pickups, nom covers.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Nice! Comgrats!

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Dammit! I wanted that....

Awesomeness....

Go to black speed knobs, a Dimebuicker bridge and a Demon in the neck. Bare pickups, nom covers.
          Now we're talking! I installed the black pickguard and also the stock black speed knobs. I love the sound of the humbuckers, but I might try the brigde w/o cover or even both. Do you do this only for aesthetics or does is affect the sound?
          "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

The covers force you to extend the screws slightly
            The changes the tone a bit
            But otherwise no
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Love the color!

Congrats Walt! [emoji41][emoji1303]
              Originally posted by The Commodores?
              "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Fortune cookie say: blessed is your future with strings.

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
                  Now we're talking! I installed the black pickguard and also the stock black speed knobs. I love the sound of the humbuckers, but I might try the brigde w/o cover or even both. Do you do this only for aesthetics or does is affect the sound?
                  It's good you got a pick-guard for your LP so you won't scratch it. I have a 2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Gibson 490R/490T pick ups and I have the cover off the bridge pickup. I do this more for looks to mimick a Telecaster guitar where there is a cover on the neck pup and no cover on the lead. Jimmy Page does this to most of his LP's. The black speed knobs are another good option. I have them also on my black Epi and the knobs blend in well with the body. I can also see the white numbers very clearly. Speed knobs are one of my favourites...go for it.

;>)/
                  Last edited by RorySquier; 12-12-2017, 02:01 PM.
                  sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

NGD – My first Gibson Les Paul!

Funny, I prefer the pickguard off...once you screw it into the wood...those holes are there forever.
                    My studio has a pickguard....I bought it already installed.
                    My Standard and my DC Special have no guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      ...once you screw it into the wood...those holes are there forever.
                      That is true, however, the guitar did come originally with a pickguard, so no additional holes to be made.
                      "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Gorgeous guitar. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          Funny, I prefer the pickguard off...once you screw it into the wood...those holes are there forever.
                          My studio has a pickguard....I bought it already installed.
                          My Standard and my DC Special have no guard.
                          I also typically like them off aesthetically speaking but I kinda require them unless I want to wear a hole through the finish in the first year that I own the guitar!!!

With this one I really wish they'd skipped the guard though...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	5804417
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
                            That is true, however, the guitar did come originally with a pickguard, so no additional holes to be made.
                            Same with my Studio. I bought that one used and it already had the guard on.
                            My Standard I bought brand new and opted to keep the guard off.

Comment

FIRST IMPRESSIONS - an update

Hi guys, just some comments and thoughts on the guitar.

When I bought the guitar I tested at the guy's house through a Hughes & Kettner head, a big 4x12 box, and a pedalboard. The guitar sounded good and more importat it FELT and PLAYED really good. I arrived home late that day, so I couldn't play it much.

I've tested it during this week through my one-and-only 15W Marshall amp, using the same settings as always. The amp has only one channel and I set it to crunch, I like to control the volume, gain and "cleanness" with the guitar controls. I have to say that I am AMAZED at how good this guitar is. I could just play powerchords on her all day long, it sounds REALLY good. The controls give a huge range of sounds, that is without touching anything on the amp. I get exactly the Led Zeppeling tones that I wanted from the bridge pickup, it does "woman tone" and the sustain and tone from the neck pickup are what I wanted when I play Guns 'n Roses. Rolling the volume to 8 gives very mild distorsion and going down to 7 gets me very clean sounds for picking and chords with minimal volume loss.

Quoting Greg from Wildwood Guitars: "A guitar has to (1) Play good, (2) Sound good and (3) Inspire you." This one does all three exceedingly well!

Additionally, a few comments regarding some other posts of mine, where I was torn between Epiphone and Gibson and different pickups. I now own a 2003 Epi Les Paul Custon, a 2006 Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top and this 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, and I can say (in my opinion and please don't start a war on this) that this specific Gibson is miles ahead the other two Epis. I can say that confidenty in my experience, same amp and settings and same player. The sound of the Burstbucker Pros is unveliebable and they are also Alnico V like the Epis I own. The controls are also more versatile, I can get clean sounds at vol.7, whith the Epis I need to go down to vol.3-4 to be clean and is with very low volume. I guess this things can be replaced. But the way the wood resonates and the neck feels is also superior. Not to mention the custom paint job that I got on this one!

Thanks again for your help on my other posts, now I can really understand what you were saying.

You guy's rock!
                              Cheers,
                              Walter

Comment

RIGHTEOUS!!!!

Congratulations
                                My Bands -
                                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...