What Floyd to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Floyd to choose?

I didn't mention it because trying to find a new kit is like getting a date with a supermodel. Even if you could, you can't afford it.

Besides, Vai goes them like dragster engines and they are cast alloy versus the steel Floyd.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
      I didn't mention it because trying to find a new kit is like getting a date with a supermodel. Even if you could, you can't afford it.

Besides, Vai goes them like dragster engines and they are cast alloy versus the steel Floyd.
      It depends on where you buy it from. You definitely can't find it from official dealers but off-the-radar sources. I got mine for less than a hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
        Two pages and nobody has mentioned the Original Edge, the most stable and sturdiest tremolo in the world. It's strong enough to withstand Vai's masturbatory tremolo antics, you know. Plus the arm is pop-in style, no screwing like the German one.

If you want to go cheap, go for the Edge Zero 2, which is no less stable. And it's low profile, no lines of fine-tuning screws getting in the way. Take it from me, an actual user.
        The Gotoh Floyd has a pop-in arm as well as being steel construction like an OFR.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Been searching around on other forums and found this:

(suhr is a high end guitar company founded by John Suhr. Their 80's shred mkII model with floyd sells for almost $4000)

Question: This question is mainly for Mr Tyler and Mr Suhr but all opinions wanted ! In fitting and repairing locking tremolos since they came out, I've found the original Floyd to have deteriorated in quality to such a point that I want a better option …. And I think the Gotoh is it at the moment. The saddles and the locking nuts are a lot harder than the original Floyd’s are now, and I wondered why it is not on more guitars as OEM particularly as the price is also good.

Suhr: Gotoh is good and I will probably switch soon since the Floyds are really being made like ASS. We spend at least an extra hour on every Floyd bridge fixing things. Since both Schallers died it has been downhill from there I built some other companies guitar with the Gotoh and they seemed very consistent and well made.

Follow up Question: What are some of the issues you're seeing with the new Original Floyds ?

Suhr: You have a few days ?
          Sometimes the back of the saddle is too tall preventing the fine tuner from having a full range of motion.
          The way the string leaves the saddle it does not have a firm break off point, the string slides around in the saddle. This changes the intonation, buzzes and can just sound bad. We have to get a detail Dremel bit and re-contour the saddle with magnifiers on to see what we are doing. We have to do this on them all !
          Fine tuners pinched too course and are rough many times.
          Saddle heights can be uneven, requiring regrinding or shimming.
          Roll away at nut not correct making the string not leave the nut edge where it is supposed to leave. This also screws with intonation and the strings can buzz when played open.
          Casting bumps in the nut slots which have to be ground off, maybe one out of five.
          Saddle to rear section of the saddle is sloppy, this cause string buzz, saddle pin has to be removed and saddle pinched to tighten it up.
          Hold plates that hold the blocks up are not pushed up far enough so sometimes the screw pin doesn’t align up with the hole in the block and you wind up cracking the block.
          Sometimes the arms start to wiggle and there isn’t much you can do since the cap on top is snug.
          I'm sure there are a few other things I'm leaving out ....

They are a pain, I wish Kahler would make Floyds again I have no idea what is stopping them since the patent has run out.
          I think I will start with the Gotohs very soon since I do love the Floyd idea.

And indeed, I checked. All suhr guitars have a gotoh Floyd Rose.

I also 'discovered' that gotoh also makes the ibanez edge pro bridges, and I have heard only but good stuff about them.

Does somebody have any experience with gotoh???
          Last edited by I NEED HELP123; 02-12-2018, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Edge Tremolos are more expensive to get than the Lockmeister, at least if you live in Europe.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

That interview with Suhr is over 15 years ago. Schaller has been using a new die for many years now. You should have no concerns with the floyd.

Gotoh has always supplied the various Edge tremolos, I assumed that was common knowledge.

Again, you are over thinking this. Buy whatever is the cheapest in your market
              -Chris

Comment

I use the gotoh Floyd and haven’t looked back. Harder materials, quality machining, arm tension that holds adjustment, and comes with a brass block!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That interview with Suhr is over 15 years ago. Schaller has been using a new die for many years now. You should have no concerns with the floyd.

Gotoh has always supplied the various Edge tremolos, I assumed that was common knowledge.

Again, you are over thinking this. Buy whatever is the cheapest in your market
                  I know it's probably common knowledge for you but I'm 14 years old and I'm playing guitar for 2 year now so I don't know everything so please correct me if I say something wrong.

And yes I'm probably overthinking this I should probably just buy the gotoh. I can buy it local for €150
                  Last edited by I NEED HELP123; 02-13-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emaccarthy View Post
                    I use the gotoh Floyd and haven’t looked back. Harder materials, quality machining, arm tension that holds adjustment, and comes with a brass block!

Thx for the reply. The gotoh also has a special trem arm so you don't have to screw it on right?

Comment

The gotohs are great, had one on a MM Axis and have used them on some guitars I built. I love the Edge, they are super smooth but yes they are cast which gives them a warmer tone but they do use hardened steel plates for the intonation screws. The Edge Zero is all cast, so the intonation screws will strip if they are overtightened. Not the end of the world, they can be fixed with Helicoil inserts, but since you are starting fresh I would probably just not go down that road. Also note that the route for the Edge may be slightly different than for a Floyd or Gotoh. And yeah, as Aryton said, the new Floyds/Schallers are fine as well.
                      Last edited by devastone; 02-13-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by I NEED HELP123 View Post
                        Thx for the reply. The gotoh also has a special trem arm so you don't have to screw it on right?
                        The arm has a threaded hole in the bottom so you spin it into the base plate to set the desired height. Then there is a set screws that applies a side load to a bushing in the arm socket that adjusts the rotating tension of the arm. I much prefer this over the usual threaded collar that that Floyd’s use.

Comment

OMG, 14... I feel old

The Gotoh is a fine choice.
                          -Chris

Comment

OMG, 14... I feel old

The Gotoh is a fine choice.

Comment

Originally posted by emaccarthy View Post
                              The arm has a threaded hole in the bottom so you spin it into the base plate to set the desired height. Then there is a set screws that applies a side load to a bushing in the arm socket that adjusts the rotating tension of the arm. I much prefer this over the usual threaded collar that that Floyd’s use.

That indeed sounds a lot better than the screw on thing

Comment

I have 5 guitars with double locking trems on them. One has the Schaller with the replaceable knife blades, three with the OFR, and one with the Gotoh. They all are solid trems, no doubt about it. The Gotoh just has something special about it. From the way the arm sits in the trem, the beveled saddles (feels awesome under my palm!), and beautifully machined metal, it is solid. If I were to choose a trem to put on a custom build, it would be the Gotoh.

Cole
                                Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Working...
                                X