Highest quality replacement tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest quality replacement tuners?

I’ve researched it myself but have no way of knowing for sure since I can’t test before I buy.

I’m looking for a smooth preferably high ratio tuner for my explorer. The stock mini Grover’s leave a certain sour taste in my mouth. They function fine but feel like they are greased with cooking oil.

I tried schallers once on a les Paul. Those were super smooth. Anyone have any specific recommendations? I am leaning towards hipster with their universal mounting trick and seemingly 1:18 ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Highest quality replacement tuners?

I just saw the Graph Tech Ratio tuners a few days ago. Different ratio for each string, and locking. Pretty pricey but they look good.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a preference for Gotoh tuners, but do have a set of Hipshot tuners on a Gibson guitar. The universal mount is great and the ratio feels pretty smooth. They hold tune really well and the tuner buttons are interchangeable. I want to get a set for my Koa 356.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Steinberger 40:1 tuners are amazing, and so are LSR tuners if you can find them.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My favorite tuners of the major brands are the fulltime Grover 106 self locking series. No knobs to twist or post tops to tighten. Just insert string and turn the knob to lock and tune. I didn't like the mini Grover nearly as much. If they made the 106 in nickel I'd have them on every guitar I own.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Steinberger 40:1 tuners are amazing, and so are LSR tuners if you can find them.
            I don’t mean to sound like a pansy but they don’t come in black

I wonder if the hip shot with the LSR style buttons would function the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve got the Grover locking tuners on two Les Pauls. I have no issues at all with them. One was a factory install and the other replaced the robot tuners on my Special. Iirc, I paid less than $65.

Comment

Grovers on most of mine
                Two have the rear lock knob
                One has the top locking post
                They all work fine

I also have planet waves with the auto trim in black
                Those work well also . The trim function takes some getting used to

I also have some Chinese lockers on some
                One is Allparts branded two have KD brand
                Those have been trouble free as well

I have a dragonfire set from guitarpartsonline and they are kinda junk
                Not enough to make me replace them.

The off brand that came on my Ehdwuld guitar , those had stripped gears and never worked
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about the Planet Waves...those are nice, too. I also dig the new crop of lightweight high quality tuners that many companies are offering, especially if you deal with a neck that is slightly too heavy.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    ...so are LSR tuners if you can find them.
                    Those things need to come with a drill attachment for when you are changing strings, I can't imagine having turn the knob 40 times just to get one wrap around the post.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Hipshot take the cake for me with Schaller and Gotoh not far behind.
                      -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                      I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

I do also have the newer Gotoh Magnum tuners if you're looking for locking tuners. They work like a charm. The ratio is butter smooth, holds tune, and locks the strings in place. They seem pretty bulky tho, I'm just not too much a fan of locking tuners I suppose. I went with open gear Hipshot due to anesthetics and "weight". They're a bit on the pricey end, especially if you want them in gold. $97 in gold, which is why I don't have any for the koa 356.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Grovers are not very good these days. Old sealed ones are (say '70's and '80's ones), if you buy a set that hasn't been beat. Ugly-ass standard buttons, though. It's just such a lame shape.

Sperzels are good, and lightweight for sealed tuners. They can easily be custom ordered in many different ways, directly from the company (it's a real mom and pop shop). I prefer opting for the small #6 buttons, as all their other buttons are ugly to me. Sperzels are the way to go if you need lightweight, locking, staggered, sealed tuners, and you don't mind drilling a registration hole for each tuner into the back of your headstock. Look at options and order here: http://www.sperzel.com/index.php

Hipshots are very good. I have been trending toward these, as opposed to Gotohs, for builds in which a modern look is okay. They are just solid as all hell, and they are available with very attractive small metal butterbean buttons. Hipshot hardware is really top notch stuff, and always has been.

Schallers are good, but all their buttons are ugly IMO. I'm not really a fan of them over all, because there are more aesthetically attractive options that do the same thing in terms of quality.

Gotohs are good, and available in a million different configurations. Over all, IMO they are the best tuner brand, in terms of available products, and options/features. Their H.A.P. and locking features are awesome. They are the way to go for a vintage look with modern features, or for upgrading the old tuners on a real vintage guitar, without having to modify the headstock. They are my go-to.

Waverlys are very good open-geared tuners, but the buttons are ugly and they are ungodly expensive.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-16-2018, 10:19 AM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I ordered the Hipshot locking tuners for some $80.

Here is my problem. For the high E string I still have to make more than a full winding to tune it. Is this normal?

It is hard to pull the high E string by hand to put a lot of tension. So even though the string is locked, it is more than an octave down in tuning. I made more than a full turn and even then it is still some 3 full tones below E. It is not yet 329.6 Hz on the open E or 523 Hz (C5) on the 8th fret on high E string. I use pitchperfect software.

They may show in a video that all I have to do is make a quarter turn and it is tuned. Not really, as I cant put enough tension just by pulling using my hand as the string is smooth. The tuner also feels like it is slipping. When I am winding, it just does not feel any different from the stock tuners. So I am not sure if I should call this an upgrade. The stock tuners hold the tuning well when I use the under-over locking winding but that is a lot of manual winding and hence I wanted locking tuners.

I am putting them on a Squier Affinity. Well the main purpose of putting locking tuners on this guitar is to avoid winding and not to make it play better. I hate winding. I am also planning to add mods to the guitar like the GFS grey bottom pups. I am learning to make mods. So starting with a cheap guitar.

Comment

Gotoh Made in Japan
                              Schaller Germany

For the expensive models... cheapies? Who knows
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X