Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Highest quality replacement tuners?

Originally posted by mupi View Post
    I ordered the Hipshot locking tuners for some $80.

Here is my problem. For the high E string I still have to make more than a full winding to tune it. Is this normal?

It is hard to pull the high E string by hand to put a lot of tension. So even though the string is locked, it is more than an octave down in tuning. I made more than a full turn and even then it is still some 3 full tones below E. It is not yet 329.6 Hz on the open E or 523 Hz (C5) on the 8th fret on high E string. I use pitchperfect software.

They may show in a video that all I have to do is make a quarter turn and it is tuned. Not really, as I cant put enough tension just by pulling using my hand as the string is smooth. The tuner also feels like it is slipping. When I am winding, it just does not feel any different from the stock tuners. So I am not sure if I should call this an upgrade. The stock tuners hold the tuning well when I use the under-over locking winding but that is a lot of manual winding and hence I wanted locking tuners.

I am putting them on a Squier Affinity. Well the main purpose of putting locking tuners on this guitar is to avoid winding and not to make it play better. I hate winding. I am also planning to add mods to the guitar like the GFS grey bottom pups. I am learning to make mods. So starting with a cheap guitar.
    1. Pull the string harder before you tighten the lock knob. (Bend the string end around your hand to pull.)

2. Tighten the lock knob harder.

3. This is normal for locking tuners (though perhaps not quite to the degree you describe, and you do need to address the slippage).

4. It isn't really a problem anyhow. The high E wrapping all the way around the post (and then some) is not going to significantly reduce your tuning stability. (But, again, slippage will.)
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-16-2018, 12:28 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Ok I pulled the string as hard as possible. Didnt want to cut my fingers as these strings can cause some serious damage to fingers if I wrap it around my finger and pull it like a jute thread. I put the under-over knot and did the winding to tune it. Will see if holds the tuning. It is a new string and I did some stretching. So I may have to tune it a couple of times. After that if it still does not hold the tuning and slips, it is going back.

I bought the hipshot tuner kit mainly because these tuners do not need extra holes for the little pins as they dont have the pins the plate keeps the 3 tuners from rotating. All other tuners either need those little pins or screws to hold them in place. I hope they hold the tune at least for a week. I dont use the trem bar. Will see how it goes. I have 30 days.

Comment

Most of my locking tuners have this problem with the high e
        One came out and I tightened it
        It was one of the planet waves trimming set and the string was too short to get back in
        I like a bit of a wrap but it is hard to tighten down on that skinny little string

I want just a bit more on the b and e myself
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          Those things need to come with a drill attachment for when you are changing strings, I can't imagine having turn the knob 40 times just to get one wrap around the post.
          Got an awful wrist ache.

You need to improve your playing technique.

No, I got it from tuning my guitar.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I haven't used these but i bet they are next level sexy.
            Introducing Schaller's Da Vinci Tuner!On-Stage Stands is the authorized US Distributor for Schaller products. Call us today for product details and pricing -...

I aslo like all the gotohs from the cheap to expensive they all seem well made.

Comment

I've had great experiences with Hipshot, Gotoh, and Grover. These two are probably my favorites.

Gotoh Delta 510 Locking Tuners:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Gotoh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	5809740

Hipshot Open-Gear Locking Tuners:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Hipshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	5809741

BTW, each of these brands give you the option of selecting from a variety of button styles from vintage to modern.
              Some recordings from my college days a few years ago: http://www.soundcloud.com/mytochon
              "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Those open gear locking Hipshots look nice! My favorite tuners are the one on my Steinberger, but of course those are purpose built for that guitar.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the open gear locking Hipshots on my partscaster (3x3 headstock), with plastic buttons. They work, they look good, and they are well made. Smooth turning, thick chrome, and made in USA. I can take or leave the locking function but I don't regret it.

Comment

More about my experience with the Hipshot

The main problem is putting enough tension in the string by hand before locking it with the thumb wheel. So the tuning is off by as much as an octave for the strings and I have to make a lot of turning of the thumb wheel and not just a quarter turn. You can see that in the image.

Another problem is that the plate holes do not line up with the peg holes on my Squier Affinity. You can see this in the image. Also the plate really does not hold the tuners from moving. There is a lot of sloppiness when I put the tuners on the plate. They are also so flimsy. I would have preferred a continuous flange on both sides of the plate so that the tuners cant move. The current design does not have continuous a flange on both sides. You want the tuners to sit in a grove created by the continuous flange on either side like a channel so that it will not rotate. That is not the case with the current plate.

The tuners move easily when I tighten the nut. Since I cant see the other side while tightening the nut, I cant make sure the tuners are all along a straight line. It becomes a 2 man job. I may have to ditch the plates and use the screws. The main reason for getting these tuners was not to drill holes on my guitar. I have to decide whether to drill and use the screws or just make the peg holes bigger so that the plate does not partially cover the peg holes. Either way I am damaging the headstock. It is a cheap guitar. So I dont really care.

But the main problem is the need to do winding. I broke a #11 string while winding a locking tuner!! It looks like I have to use regular tuners for the E and B and locking tuners for the other 4 strings. I cant trust the post in these locking tuners to hold up against a thin string which is under a lot of tension. It is bound to slip. Regular tuners with the manual winding, using the under-over method is probably the way to go. I have that on my old Lyon and I only check the tuning like once a week. This manual method holds the tuning very well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The tuners move easily when I tighten the nut. Since I cant see the other side while tightening the nut, I cant make sure the tuners are all along a straight line. It becomes a 2 man job. I may have to ditch the plates and use the screws. The main reason for getting these tuners was not to drill holes on my guitar. I have to decide whether to drill and use the screws or just make the peg holes bigger so that the plate does not partially cover the peg holes. Either way I am damaging the headstock. It is a cheap guitar. So I dont really care.
                      You don't need to drill, the screws are self tapping.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        You don't need to drill, the screws are self tapping.
                        I'd still drill pilot holes so the screws go in easier.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yep I also like to drill a pilot hole for anything before putting a screw. Whether I drill or not, eventually there is going to be a hole made by the screw :-)

In my case it is a Squier. So it doesnt matter. If I were to put extra holes on an expensive guitar, I would not use such tuners as it would affect the resale value. The small hole that you see in the image is the hole for the stock tuner.

Comment

Line the tuning machine up, mark the center of the mounting hole with a little awl or punch (or nail for that matter). Drill a pilot hole (nice and straight) and use some wax or soap on the threads of the screws.

Good luck not snapping a screw or, at least not tearing up the head first, if you don't drill.
                            Last edited by Darg1911; 09-22-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

The main problem is putting enough tension in the string by hand before locking it with the thumb wheel. So the tuning is off by as much as an octave for the strings and I have to make a lot of turning of the thumb wheel and not just a quarter turn. You can see that in the image.

Another problem is that the plate holes do not line up with the peg holes on my Squier Affinity. You can see this in the image. Also the plate really does not hold the tuners from moving. There is a lot of sloppiness when I put the tuners on the plate. They are also so flimsy. I would have preferred a continuous flange on both sides of the plate so that the tuners cant move. The current design does not have continuous a flange on both sides. You want the tuners to sit in a grove created by the continuous flange on either side like a channel so that it will not rotate. That is not the case with the current plate.

But the main problem is the need to do winding. I broke a #11 string while winding a locking tuner!! It looks like I have to use regular tuners for the E and B and locking tuners for the other 4 strings. I cant trust the post in these locking tuners to hold up against a thin string which is under a lot of tension. It is bound to slip. Regular tuners with the manual winding, using the under-over method is probably the way to go. I have that on my old Lyon and I only check the tuning like once a week. This manual method holds the tuning very well.
                              You seem to be struggling with an incredibly easy task, finding terrible problems in things that are extremely easy to resolve if you have basic mechanical sense. Your plates line up with your tuner holes fine; you just have them cheated too far one way, i.e. you do not need to enlarge any tuner holes. No, it is not a two-man job – that is ridiculous. Yes, you can see the tuners on the back of the headstock as you tighten the nut on the front of them – are you telling me you can't reach around to tighten while looking at the back of the headstock? No, the adapter plates do not need to have a full lip on both sides in order to work. Simply hold the tuners in alignment using a straight edge, and tighten the nuts until the tuners hold firmly in position. It's the same deal with or without the new style Hipshot adapter plates. That is how tuners are generally put on in proper alignment.

You also seem to be hung up on the idea that you must have only a quarter turn on your strings with locking tuners. Firstly, it's no big deal if you don't have only a quarter turn, or if you go around once. Secondly, it is common for the plain strings to go all the way around at least once. Thirdly, I already told you how to deal with that problem, if it is, indeed, a problem to you. Pull harder on the string and tighten harder on the lock wheel. Put some force into it.

I have to ask: have you read any installation and/or usage instructions for locking tuners?
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-22-2018, 02:37 PM.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

You have one bracket upside down
                                EHD
                                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                                X