Indian Laurel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Laurel?

I see Fender is using this type of fretwood. How is it and how does it compare to Rosewood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Indian Laurel?

I prefer Indian Yanny.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I know her she's my cousin's daughter
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yanny for sure.

Comment

Indian Laurel?

Never mind.

Comment

Seriously
            Never heard of Indian Laurel
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wikipedia:

"Ficus microcarpa, also known as Chinese banyan, Malayan banyan, Indian laurel, curtain fig, or gajumaru, is a tree in the fig family Moraceae. It is native in a range from China through tropical Asia and the Caroline Islands to Australia"

Looks like a moderate to fast-growing Ficus in the Fig family of trees.

There's usually only one reason Fender uses anything outside of traditional materials...lower cost.

Basically, the Rosewood look without Rosewood prices and likely much easier/faster to produce in mass

Here's a pic from Cort guitars:

Comment

I tried one CV60 in a shop last week and wondered light brown, very poor looking fretboard in it. Looked like it was dried with a heat gun. Mostly very pale brown with few darker streaks through it.

I thought they've moved to cheapest possible pieces of rosewood, (along with upping the price), but I guess it was that Indian Laurel.

It felt and sounded rather dull and lifeless. Not worth the 500€ they're now asking for them. But that might have been just that particular guitar.

I don't blame the fretboard though. It felt nice, like you'd expect for a rosewood board, less "oily" maybe.

Just didn't like the look of it at all.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Plus also without the CITES issue too. Thats a real headache and the largest reason for the move of Fender to alternates in the last 24 months.

The guitar will still sound like a strat.......and you'll have no idea if any guitar with it sounds the unique way it does due to the fretboard wood, or the way every bit combines together.

Comment

They have been using this wood on the "Bullet" series for a while and now it's finding its way further up the Squier line.

That's not to say it's "bad" wood. It's hard and dense and makes a fair "tone" wood by all accounts. Luthiers in Asia have used it for a long time. But it's fairly bland in figure and color.

There are plenty of other, more attractive woods that could make a decent Rosewood substitute.

CITES is clearly an issue, but we're talking about Fender, so they'll see the change as an opportunity to cut costs as much as possible.

It's a good time to grab a slightly older "Classic Vibe" with real Rosewood if that's you're thing...

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      They have been using this wood on the "Bullet" series for a while and now it's finding its way further up the Squier line.

That's not to say it's "bad" wood. It's hard and dense and makes a fair "tone" wood by all accounts. Luthiers in Asia have used it for a long time. But it's fairly bland in figure and color.

There are plenty of other, more attractive woods that could make a decent Rosewood substitute.

CITES is clearly an issue, but we're talking about Fender, so they'll see the change as an opportunity to cut costs as much as possible.

It's a good time to grab a slightly older "Classic Vibe" with real Rosewood if that's you're thing...
                      Prices seem to be already gettin up
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Indian Laurel was the name of a girl I dated in Jr. High School.

A couple of those woods above are nice and dark, and look like viable as rosewood alternatives. I'm actually not opposed to rosewood alternatives as long as they have the traditional dark look and don't need any drastic additional maintenance outside of occasional oiling. What I do object to are high dollar Gibson or Fender guitars with rough, light colored rosewood that looks clearly cheap or poorly finished/sanded, etc. There is still plenty of good looking rosewood available. I understand all companies, not just guitar companies, are constantly looking for cost saving methods.

If guitar companies need to use rosewood alternatives on budget and lower line guitars I get it. Just don't use it on the upper line stuff and charge the same as if you'd used rosewood.
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post

Basically, the Rosewood look without Rosewood prices and likely much easier/faster to produce in mass
                          I’m sure it has nothing to do with costs or ease of production. Indian rosewood isn’t expensive or hard to machine.

The issue is all true rosewoods are being regulated under new CITES rules.

For example, I can (and do) build a guitar with a rosewood fretboard. But if I export it I need to include a lot of documentation to prove the wood is legal.

Remember what happened to Gibson?

So many larger builders are avoiding the issue by using alternate woods.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                            I’m sure it has nothing to do with costs or ease of production. Indian rosewood isn’t expensive or hard to machine.

The issue is all true rosewoods are being regulated under new CITES rules.

For example, I can (and do) build a guitar with a rosewood fretboard. But if I export it I need to include a lot of documentation to prove the wood is legal.

Remember what happened to Gibson?

So many larger builders are avoiding the issue by using alternate woods.

I'm a bit skeptical about that. They need that documentation anyway if they're selling any rosewood products. I don't think they're sourcing them from that many places it would be big issue for a larger company.

Comment

The future is so dark, I gotta wear shades.

I'm so glad I have a closet full of great guitars to choose from, made from great materials. I feel sorry for you guys coming up, and having to deal with the market out there.
                              "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Working...
                              X