Henry J talks the future of Gibson Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry J talks the future of Gibson Guitars

This is a LONG interview with the outgoing prez.... Grab some coffee and a snack, then kick back and read.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Henry J talks the future of Gibson Guitars

11 Million on robotuners ..... need i say more.

Juss-ka-nim-witts needs to fade to black permanently.

Ive owned 11 Gibsons. None of them bought retail from Gibson.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-01-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

The best future for Gibson is Henry J's dismissal.

Comment

It's a pretty funny article for me... sounds as if he really believes everything is wonderful.

Funniest is he continues to call quality issues "fake news"... And that's pure emporeer with no clothes...

Interviewed a big independent last week that dropped Gibson in 2017 because quality got too low... Their in house luthier couldn't keep up repairs on new out of the box and Gibson wouldn't take them back. So they fixed them up and sold them off.

After c11, G is calling and the dealer asked what has changed from quality perspective and the rep indignantly argued that there never has been a quality issue.

Dealer has decided that they are wildly in love with PRS and have no plans to take G back unless they change.

Back to Henry, no modesty, no change of direction, no recognition of need to change... I'm so hoping creditors are waking up, but this article certainly sounds like business as usual and he strongly states that he's the CEO.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
        Koo
        Last edited by zionstrat; 08-01-2018, 08:22 PM.
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I don't think he thinks anything is wrong, which is the worst kind of leader.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Excerpt from article:

“So the filing for Gibson in Chapter 11 is not because the company was troubled, was somehow struggling financially - it was a case of a major part of the enterprise was struggling and we are in a process of winding that down."

Hmmm. Chapter 11 is not because the company was troubled, was somehow struggling financially, it was a case of a MAJOR PART OF THE ENTERPRISE WAS STRUGGLING.....

So according to Henry, the company is fine, don't worry; it's all good. It's just a major part of our enterprise is struggling. If a major part of your enterprise is struggling, Henry, your company is struggling. Don't they teach that part of business at Harvard?
            My Sound Clips

Comment

A Harvard education isn't what it used to be. And hasn't been for decades.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

A Harvard education isn't what it used to be. And hasn't been for decades.
                PREACH IT, BROTHER!!!!!!!!
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                  11 Million on robotuners ..... need i say more.

Juss-ka-nim-witts needs to fade to black permanently.

Ive owned 11 Gibsons. None of them bought retail from Gibson.
                  Ive always felt like a young kid in the guitar community, but when Gibson came out with that sh!t, I just had to wonder --- is this an ageing guy's conservative rage, or are they just idiots???

But then I think I was still in my late 20s, probably?? So I just decided this must be idiocy, and havent even bothered trying a new Gibson since

What a turnoff

Robotuners...on high-priced oldskool guitars targeted at a wealthier, older, more conservative crowd.... lol what kinda research chems they smoking???
                  Last edited by Adieu; 08-02-2018, 02:45 AM.
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                    Ive always felt like a young kid in the guitar community, but when Gibson came out with that sh!t, I just had to wonder --- is this an ageing guy's conservative rage, or are they just idiots???
                    Good for you!
                    Most people imagine that the things that they like and want are what is best... But with product management, that is rarely the case, and you did the right thing... You questioned your ability to make an unbiased decision and that's a quality of a great product manager...

Of course in retrospect, your gut was correct, but your initial thinking would have led to testing... simple concepts presented to personas that represent key markets would have totally changed the robo tuner debacle... Obviously, the market had little interest.

Hate to bore you guys with process, but we dig into testing in Saving Gibson 4 and sounds like many of you have the required skills!

Comment

50% of solving a problem is knowing you [have] a problem and what it is.

1/2 measures avail you nothing.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        50% of solving a problem is knowing you [have] a problem and what it is.

1/2 measures avail you nothing.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

No matter where you go, there you are.
                        Yep!

Comment

Sidebar, I wonder if "fake news" is as divisive outside of the US as it is within and how much of a negative impact this positioning has with the international market?

Again, I'm a sample of 1, so my hypothesis has no value unless it is tested, so here it goes

If you are international, does Gibson's claim that quality issues are 'fake news' reduce your concerns about Gibson quality?

While we're at it, same question for US buyers?

Comment

Well, like any news story, I try to get it from a few different sources. I wonder if the rest of Gibson's board are as hard-headed and accusatory. Or if they are scared of him. But hey, if the room is on fire, I am not going to listen to the guy standing in the middle with the gas and matches. That seems like the definition of 'fake news'.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Well, like any news story, I try to get it from a few different sources. I wonder if the rest of Gibson's board are as hard-headed and accusatory. Or if they are scared of him. But hey, if the room is on fire, I am not going to listen to the guy standing in the middle with the gas and matches. That seems like the definition of 'fake news'.
                              Though, in extension of your metaphor, do you know how one puts out an oil well fire? With explosives.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Demanic; 08-02-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X