banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: Gibson "Gary Clark" SG in TV Yellow... Is this an issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD: Gibson "Gary Clark" SG in TV Yellow... Is this an issue?

The placement means they could grow to be an annoyance... i'd demand more like 60% off
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I'm not feeling it. The electronics are awful! No hum in bridge position, hums in middle, no hum on the neck. Okay, that's acceptable with P9O's, but the tone controls are whacked! For some reason, when I turn the neck tone control down, the bridge pickup hums madly. What you'd expect from a P9O, but why is the neck tone pot effecting the bridge pickup? I don't dig how far the neck sticks out from the body either. Reminds me of the Firebird a recently sold for the very same reason. There may be a logical explanation for the way the tone pots operate, whatever. Also, two of the pots feel like they're binding-up. I'm going with PRS.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
        I'm not feeling it. The electronics are awful! No hum in bridge position, hums in middle, no hum on the neck. Okay, that's acceptable with P9O's, but the tone controls are whacked! For some reason, when I turn the neck tone control down, the bridge pickup hums madly. What you'd expect from a P9O, but why is the neck tone pot effecting the bridge pickup? I don't dig how far the neck sticks out from the body either. Reminds me of the Firebird a recently sold for the very same reason. There may be a logical explanation for the way the tone pots operate, whatever. Also, two of the pots feel like they're binding-up. I'm going with PRS.
        If it plays so nice it might be worth it to replace most of the electronics, maybe the pickups as well. Don't ever let them ruin the rest of the guitar.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Good move.

Comment

SG returned. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i woulda milked em for more than 10% but im sure itll be fine
              +1000 A bit late to the party, but yeah, I would've milked more too. Looked like the finish checked. It looks more serious since the nitro is pretty fresh.

To the OP, enjoy the PRS I suppose. What are you trading up to?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

How much had they charged you for it?
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Lol. I am surprised they didn’t try to say the cracks weren’t there when you bought it, when u went to return. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
                    +1000 A bit late to the party, but yeah, I would've milked more too. Looked like the finish checked. It looks more serious since the nitro is pretty fresh.

To the OP, enjoy the PRS I suppose. What are you trading up to?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
                    I'm either going with a PRS McCarty Soap Bar WF neck (not McSoapy), or possibly a 50's Tribute LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      How much had they charged you for it?
                      1437.00 OTD. The tone of the guitar is too thin sounding. May just be the pickups, but I don't think so. I've played stock 60's Tribute LP's (P90) that sound much better. Gibson should go with a fatter neck profile and a thicker body on the SG guitar. Also, set the neck deeper into the body for easier access to the upper frets for a more natural playing position. Firebird's suffer the same neck positioning issue, IMO.
                      Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-16-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                        Lol. I am surprised they didn’t try to say the cracks weren’t there when you bought it, when u went to return. Lol
                        That thought occurred to me as well, especially since I was returning it to an alternate SA location. I could get a cherry version, but I'm just not impressed by it.

Comment

I'm either going with a PRS McCarty Soap Bar WF neck (not McSoapy), or possibly a 50's Tribute LP.
                          Good idea, McCartys are really nice guitars. They are the perfect bridge between Gibson and PRS, from both a technical and historical standpoint.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

1437.00 OTD. The tone of the guitar is too thin sounding. May just be the pickups, but I don't think so. I've played stock 60's Tribute LP's (P90) that sound much better. Gibson should go with a fatter neck profile and a thicker body on the SG guitar. Also, set the neck deeper into the body for easier access to the upper frets for a more natural playing position. Firebird's suffer the same neck positioning issue, IMO.
                            They could, but then the traditionalists would complain

Comment

Working...
                            X