X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative fingerboard material.

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
    Aristides has stainless steel frets.
    Orpheo, you would know since Artisides use Richlite for the fretboards ... What are the risks of re-fretting a Richlite board? Are the chances of chipping the Richlite likely?

Comment

Depends on who made the guitar. If you campher the edges of the slots before fretting and the guy/gal refretting knows how to do his/her job: nah no risk.

In other words. Richlite behaves like ebony in this respect but better. Easier to sand, fret and repair. And your instrument is so much more stable than with wood..

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
        It's a $200 guitar. That you hate the pine based board has pretty much been established.

Maybe you've posted it in the past and I missed it but I'm curious as to what guitars you own or favor. I ask out of my own curiosity as I'm trying to figure out whether your are a cork sniffer or maybe just a contrarian in general. Of course, you are free to ignore the question.
        The lack of a reply is no epiphany.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

It's a $200 guitar.

Maybe you've posted it in the past and I missed it but I'm curious as to what guitars you own or favor. I ask out of my own curiosity as I'm trying to figure out whether your are a cork sniffer or maybe just a contrarian in general. Of course, you are free to ignore the question.
          I'm a proud bargain hunter cork sniffer:

Guitars:
          1972 Westminster maple board lpc (rebadged matsumoku Ibanez 2393), Super 70 bridge, EMG 81 neck, active/passive series wiring --- bought for $125
          ~1995 ESP Eclipse FR, emg 85x bridge 81 neck - bought for $380 - most I've ever spent on a guitar that I didnt flip for profit
          Fender Partscaster, MIJ alder strat body / MIM tele neck maple board/ Hot Rails + 2x CS 69's - about $200 in used parts

Basses:
          1987 Fujigen Ibanez RD-707 strung BEAD, bone stock - $150
          MiJ Fame Pbass, Kahler bass trem, vintage Seymour Duncan minitoggle active, ash body maple/maple- $85 (lol)

Amplification:
          Bugera 6262 combo converted to head - cost me ~$100 net expense, since I got it in part trade for some pretty worthless crap then flipped chassis and speakers
          Carvin 412 frontloader, Rola sticker g12-65's up top, Rola sticker g12-k85's on bottom - cost $175
          DIY homemade 212, UK v30 / mc90, about $100 in used speakers $60ish materials
          Carvin 115 bass combo, 80s - cost $150

Projects to do list:
          Restore a possibly-MIJ early LTD eclipse I got for $89 and redo electronics w/ Distortion and Demon
          Put some lines on a $99 Cort Fretless lefty with Bartolinis and restring her for righty
          Refinish and redo a $100 lowend MIJ noname SG...though that might need a refret alas

PS as to the pine, my bigger question isn't about getting FAR greater mileage out of $200, which you cleaely can but used market only ---- i know manufacturers gotta eat too ---- but rather about the reluctance to just use a maple board instead...

But then again I guess I'm a maple board fan
          Last edited by Adieu; 09-16-2018, 02:17 PM.
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I think the Japanese made/make some fine guitars. But, I don't think your gear would qualify you as a cork sniffer. That's not a knock on your stuff.

I'll just leave it there.

Comment

I think the Japanese made/make some fine guitars. But, I don't think your gear would qualify you as a cork sniffer. That's not a knock on your stuff.

I'll just leave it there.
              Well if you're sent into a guitar store today with no credit limit but a new-gear-only policy, can you really do better?

Only on the amp front, but a 5150/6505 knockoff into an excellent cab can hold its own and then some vs. a 6505 or 5153 into the 6505 or 1960a you're likely to find... also, you'd need to spend around $5k on guitar, amp, and cab to get close.
              Last edited by Adieu; 09-16-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Quality for the price ... I would assume not. But it depends completely on what the buyer wants. Personally, I don't like maple boards, active pups, and don't want a Floyd Rose. I also make an effort not to dump on other peoples gear or prospective gear.
                Last edited by Darg1911; 09-16-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

A strong Fender, a solid something Gibsonish, and a high-end Floyded metal shredder for guitars... a classic-flavour Pbass with all available top shelf improvements and a modern slick-necked metal-oriented PJ for bass... I daresay Im pretty diversified

Comment

Working...
                  X