NGD: Schecter C-1 Platinum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Schecter C-1 Platinum

This has got to be the worst "impulse" buy I've done to date. Went into GC looking for a 3-way switch, and came out with this. It caught my eye, and felt great in my hands. I didn't bother to plug it in because 9 times out of 10 I swap the pups for Duncans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schecter_C-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	5849085

And since my photography skills suck:

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-1 Platinum-02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	5849086

And linky: Schecter C-1 Platinum

I know this is intended to be a metal guitar, and you shouldn't buy a guitar based on looks, but I couldn't help myself. (Next time I go to a guitar store, I need to take my wife with me.) Right next to it, they had a similar model in a gorgeous deep flame red, with Duncan Designed HB-105's. I wanted it more, but it had a Floyd. I really wanted the hardtail. But this one is still gorgeous. This has the EMG 81/85 set, aka the Zakk Wylde ZW-set. Not really my cup-'o-tea. Almost sterile and lifeless. But, I imagine these are meant to be played through a dimed Marshall. Oddly, they sound kinda good through my BBE Acoustimax processor with the Sonic Maximizer engaged. That's probably committing blasphemy with this axe, but it does sound good.

Anyway, I really need to play with this some more. I don't want to swap these pups out without giving them a chance. Then again, I have a set of Dave Mustaines' and a new Livewire Classic II set sitting here waiting for a project.

Artie

Re: NGD: Schecter C-1 Platinum

Sweet guitar! I really like Schecter's designs and finishes–super cool guitars. Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks Trey. Schecter is becoming one of my favorite brands. This is my 3rd. Nice axe's.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Thanks Trey. Schecter is becoming one of my favorite brands. This is my 3rd. Nice axe's.
        Most welcome and I can definitely understand that! The Apocalypse series is one of my favorite looking guitars out there. I also like how even their cheaper priced guitars seem to have really good looks, decent quality and good tone.

You should get some good use out that! Let us know if you keep the pups or swap them out.

Comment

Congrats man!

This has the EMG 81/85 set
          I had this set in a Kramer I have. I found that 85 is *way* louder than the 81 making it hard to balance the volume between bridge/neck. Also for this particular one (alder body/ maple neck) 81 didn't sound right in the bridge. I don't know the case with mahogany body (maple neck).
          All my problems were solved by simply swapping 81/85 -> 85/81 . 81 sounds nice as a neck pup, while 85 kicks ass in the bridge!

so you may simply do this simple experiment before anything else

PS
          I have 81/60 in my all mahogany Ibanez, and I would not do the same mod there.

Comment

I'll bring into the forum one of the things we were just chatting about in PM's. I think that one of the reasons the EMG's sound good through the BBE Acoustimax, is that they have a similar sonic quality to a piezo pickup in an acoustic guitar. They translate the string vibration to an electrical signal. Wouldn't it be a kick in the psyche if this metal guitar was a good acoustic simulator?

Comment

I'll bring into the forum one of the things we were just chatting about in PM's. I think that one of the reasons the EMG's sound good through the BBE Acoustimax, is that they have a similar sonic quality to a piezo pickup in an acoustic guitar. They translate the string vibration to an electrical signal. Wouldn't it be a kick in the psyche if this metal guitar was a good acoustic simulator?
              Adding to this–anyone ever try the EMGs through a hollow body or semi-hollow? Just a thought.

Comment

Nice.
                And it's not at all surprising to me that it sounds good through an acoustic simulator. The best metal distortion starts with a good clean, some would call "sterile", sound.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I LOVE the dave mustaine livewires. I used to own a guitar with 707s and kinda hated them.

I’d swap them in half a second. That’s me, though. Some people swear by the emg’s. Historically, not really my thing

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                    I LOVE the dave mustaine livewires.
                    I may do that. But I want to give them a chance.

Comment

The C-1 FR (with the cool bat inlays) has got to be my favorite sub-$1000 dollar guitar. You definitely get quite a lot for the money.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

They make really good guitars. I got a used one (I think it was an older C1 platinum) with passives, coil split and a Duncan JB/59 for dirt cheap at GC a month or so back. It plays and sounds great. I have another, a Hellraiser Hybrid, which is also a really good guitar for the price. That one has actives and I use it for Drop B stuff.

Comment

Thanks Chistopher. Love this thing in my hands. Still trying to love it in my ears.

Comment

The Livewire Classics would sound really killer in there. That is the one set of actives I've had an interest in trying.

That is a really nice guitar Artie. Schecter makes some great quality guitars for the money. For many years I wanted one of the C1 Classics, but they've made several really nice models. Like you, I also prefer the hardtail over the Floyd. I'm stoked that you have a new toy that you like.

Congrats Artie.
                            My Sound Clips

Comment

I don't think that was a bad impulse buy at all. I've been tempted by that very same model.

Schecter is a super solid brand, especially the MIK stuff. The US quality check after import and before hitting stores is really good, perhaps the best out of all brands that do imports.

You are on the money about the 81/85 set - it sounds great through a Marshall. It doesn't have to be a dimed one. The 81/85 set sounds good in a preamp-dependent Marshall like a DSL, simply because the pickups hit the preamp so hard and create sweet saturation.

The matte finish on the Platinum series feels good. Crud, I may have just talked myself into one of these guitars!

Comment

Working...
                              X