Schaller S-Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller S-Locks

So I recently ended up with $65 in Reverb Bucks from a refund they processed after my last sale. I could have converted it to cash and transferred it to my bank account, but I decided to leave it for something in the future. The other thread about Strap Locks got me thinking about the 3 guitars I still have with the old version of the Schaller Locks. Perfect opportunity to upgrade them.

I already have one set of Ruthenium Locks on my 57' Reissue. They look great but lately I'd been thinking that something a little lighter in color might look even better. Ah ha..... Satin Pearl; perfect. My two Dean Hardtail's..... they both need Ruthenium. Perfect, one new pair of Ruthenium into the basket. Now, what about the strat with the gold hardware? Duh, gold locks, right? Wait.....I'm going to put an aged mint green guard on it with aged cream covers. Hmm. Oh, Vintage Copper..... that will look great with the other aged stuff instead of shiny gold. Into the basket.

Satin Pearl
    Ruthenium
    Vintage Copper

All on the way. Prices on the different colors have come down. I think I paid $40 + shipping for my first Ruthenium set 6 months ago; and I had to order them from Schaller Germany. Now they're $24.99. So was the Vintage Copper. That used to be the most expensive of all colors when they were released. Hell, Satin Pearl was only $20.99. To top it off, all came with free shipping. $5 out of my bank account to cover the amount over $65 and now I'll have S-Locks on all of my main guitars.... except the Taylor which doesn't need them anyhow.

Cool. Love the S-Locks. Great Product.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-12-2018, 12:27 AM.
    My Sound Clips

Re: Schaller S-Locks

Indeed. They are a huge improvement over the old type which I still have on most of my guitars (but I am slowly switching over).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I LOVE mine. I can't wait until I can get a batch shipment of buttons from the US.

Comment

I just added a set on my Ovation. Not realizing that the the buttons and screws are a solid unit required a whole different approach in mounting the forward button because the Ovation utilizes an anchor in that position. My only complaint is it would have been nice if they offered a heads up on the different design.

Comment

I've been thinking of switching over from the old to the new based off the improvements. I'd be like Mincer though, rolling over as needed
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I normally wouldn't have done them all at once, but over the past year I've really pared down my guitar collection. I had 9 guitars that were what I consider higher (or actual high) end for my purposes; guitars that I paid or are worth more than $1,000. I now have 5, including my Taylor acoustic. I have another guitar that's on the border of that definition, a 92' Alvarez Dana Scoop. Made in Korea and I paid $600 for it in 93', which was a lot for me then. I see them on eBay with asking prices near or at a grand, but I don't know the actual value.

My point is, if I still had 9-10 guitars that I wanted strap locks on, there is no way I would expend that much on strap locks at one time. But, being down to 3 guitars that needed the new ones (not including the Alvarez) and having the $65 in unexpected Reverb Bucks, I figured it was a perfect combination of events.

Nagisa - have you already ordered the batch of buttons or are you still looking for someone who will ship to your location?

Jeffblue - that is unfortunate. I haven't seen all of the adverts for the new locks, so I don't know what they do and don't cover. I learned about them here from a video that was posted (by Mincer I think), and in that they clearly go over that specific change along with all the others, but that certainly doesn't mean they do it in all of their advertising. I hope you were able to make them work with no permanent alteration to your Ovation.

The prices on these sets are starting to come down and if you want the standard shiny nickel or chrome, you can get them for right at or slightly under $20 on Reverb. I haven't checked eBay or any of the large online sellers. The new design solves the two main issues people had with them; the squeaky movement of the strap clip on the button and the nut coming loose on the strap portion. The new nut on the strap portion is such a huge improvement that I can't see a scenario where, if attached correctly, the nut would ever fail... during the majority of use. I'm sure there is some extreme someone might come up with that might cause a failure, but not during normal, sane use.

Plus, I think all the different colors are cool. You can match shiny, satin, gold or black hardware with ease. I'm just a big fan, but I realize that everyone has their own preferences and like other options. Different strokes are good.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Don't get me wrong.........the design is excellent. I was able to make it work on the Ovation, it just wasn't/isn't ideal. On this guitar, the original would have worked with the same thread machine screw (just longer) which could have been a better way to go. FYI, the new S-Locks are not ideal for Ovation guitars. Buy the Grover which are the same as the old Schallers which can be bought from StewMac.

Comment

I recently converted mine from Dunlop, and I like the Schaller much, much better. I used to have the occasional slip-up where I'd thank God I was holding the neck. Not anymore. Very solid feel now, and I'm never nervous that gravity will take over accidentally.

Comment

Working...
                X