banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: cheap Japanese shredders still exist in 2018, after all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: cheap Japanese shredders still exist in 2018, after all!

Jackson RR3, few usual scuffs, busted Floyd collar, bit of grime... $140 w/ ohsc

Hmmm... fix clean and flip or keep-to-mod, that is the question

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-18 00.16.14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	5849350

Dayum that's some huge (and, curiously, pristine!) frets...what are those???

Name:	2018-10-18 00.16.39.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	5849351

Nice FB and neat fretwork too

Name:	2018-10-18 00.17.03.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	5849352

Quartersawn....and scarfed, both? But still....mmmm quartersawn. All in all a damn nice neck

Name:	2018-10-18 00.17.34.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	5849353
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: NGD: cheap Japanese shredders still exist in 2018, after all!

Good axe! MIJ quality and those look like hot Invaders! Those frets are jumbo frets. Good deal on that. Rather keep it unless you get double what you spent on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
      Good axe! MIJ quality and those look like hot Invaders! Those frets are jumbo frets. Good deal on that. Rather keep it unless you get double what you spent on it.
      Those are Duncan Designed hb108's = unpotted licensed Distortions w/ Invader polepieces

Actually a surprisingly fun roar scream and squeal type pickup, albeit maybe a bit unrefined

Getting "double" should be beyond easy.... step 1, flip the case, and it ends up being a $50 - 70 Japanese guitar.

I'm of the "keep one bass case for irregularly shaped guitars, flip rest immediately" school of thought. Flipping cases alone has pretty much paid for most of the guitar gear I've ever owned.

And after a thorough cleaning, oiling, setup, and applying the invaluable 24-color sharpie set, it'll be worth a whole bunch more.
      Last edited by Adieu; 10-18-2018, 05:08 AM.

Comment

You seem to have a good thing going flipping those cases. 24 color sharpie set?

Comment

I grew up near San Francisco in the days when I could see Quicksilver Messenger Service live for about 10 bucks and walk right up to the stage and carefully watch John Cippolina work his Bigsby Trem on his custom SG. Trems were a nessecity for me after that.
          I still play for fun. I just went to the local GC here in St. Louis and tried a number of trem equipped guitars. After tuning each, every Gretsch I played de-tuned after a dip or two on the Bigsby. Even a high end 24 fret PRS went right out after a few term arm wobbles.
          I have a used Blue and maple $200.00 (400.00 new) GC center brand "Laguna" LE400 at home with a graphite nut, locking tuners and nut, true coil split and a licensed Floyd Rose that has 5+ year old strings on it that stays in tune for weeks - made in "Indonesia"- go figure. Yes the FR can be fussy until you understand it, then its 10 minutes of muscle memory and mine will stay in tune for weeks (no exaggeration) with regular trem use.
          My TEST for a trem guitar is this: tune it up, play with the term a bit, then play a barred B#m chord. If it is"sour", move on.
          Despite hearing all the FR stories, the only reason I bought the Laguna was because the term arm has a screw collar that you can hand tighten to set the bar just where you want it, like a Bigsby. Nice cheap guitars coming from Revelation now from China under on-site inspection of British pick up designer Mr.Entwistle.
          I also have an all maple RIC 12 at home that plays like butter, so I know quality. But it is hard to fault the Laguna for stay in tune tremming.

Comment

Nice looking Jackson guitar...great score! I own myself a black Jackson King V guitar with a neck-thru body and EMG 81/85 pick ups which sound great.

;>)/
            sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Picked up a jackson dx10d just a couple of years ago. Wow, what a shout! For 150 bangs it was a steal and a half. The stock duncan-designed pups were really not to bad. Replaced the bridge with a jb though. The neck pup is really good. Just a few months ago the wiring piddled out on me and had to rewire the whole thing. Probably because of age.
              "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
              Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
              Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
              Jackson dx10d
              DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
              MXR Carbon Copy
              MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	5810132Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	5810133
                There is the beast in question. What a jem. Between this and my Charvel DK24 I am more than content!
                "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                Jackson dx10d
                DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                MXR Carbon Copy
                MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]93372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93373[/ATTACH]
                  There is the beast in question. What a jem. Between this and my Charvel DK24 I am more than content!
                  I picked up a '08 DXMG a few years ago for $150. It's gunmetal grey with the low profile licsenced Floyd. It came with EMG HZ's, which were eventually replaced by a zebra JB and a black no name neck pickup (8.5k, A5). Loved the Jackson neck profile, I later got a Jackson bass.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice score. I'd keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Jackson RR3, few usual scuffs, busted Floyd collar, bit of grime... $140 w/ ohsc

Hmmm... fix clean and flip or keep-to-mod, that is the question

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93364[/ATTACH]

Dayum that's some huge (and, curiously, pristine!) frets...what are those???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93365[/ATTACH]

Nice FB and neat fretwork too

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93366[/ATTACH]

Quartersawn....and scarfed, both? But still....mmmm quartersawn. All in all a damn nice neck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93367[/ATTACH]
                      You gonna change out the pickups? Seems like a more than decent find, even with the stock 108s.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        You gonna change out the pickups? Seems like a more than decent find, even with the stock 108s.
                        Im not sure

I've really liked the hb108's I yanked out of another RR3 in a different guitar... but with Jackson RR3's and their cousin the Charvel Avenger, I always had modded stuff - EMGs, Duncans, Bill Lawrence, Dimarzio, mixed active-passive, a Fender CS 69 single coil.... just about anything. Hell, even a Dimarzio Air Norton piggyback boosted thru an EMG 81's preamp...

Maybe it's just modding for modding's sake? Especially since it's about the cheapest decently solid modding platform you can get these days

Comment

For $140 w/case I’d clean it up and rock the hell out of it. Since it has two rows of screws, I’d even play around with different screw sets before rewiring.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            For $140 w/case I’d clean it up and rock the hell out of it. Since it has two rows of screws, I’d even play around with different screw sets before rewiring.
                            I don't think I've EVER seen anybody stagger or radius hex/screw poles in a guitar.

Like, literally...not once

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                              I don't think I've EVER seen anybody stagger or radius hex/screw poles in a guitar.

Like, literally...not once
                              Then you can be the first . I don't really think it makes too much of a difference with a beast such as the Invader as all finer minutiae is lost at that point. But who knows, you might be able to tell the difference on a 108.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                              X