New Hamer Standards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hamer Standards??

Ive always wanted a Hamer standard. (well, visually, not having played one..) But, they dont come up for sale much, and when they do, they are way out of my price range.

So, looks like they are avail again. (imported) Has anyone played the new ones? If so, how are they? I assume they are a pretty good import. Do they have thick or thin necks?

Seems they are only avail in cherry burst. Id really like to have a black one. Always loved Lita's and Jay Jay French had one in an old Twisted Sister vid.

Anyhow, just curious if they are decent, if the necks are fat or thin and if they are in any way comparable to the originals..

Thanks for any info...

Linky:

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Hamer Standard Flame Top Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

I hate to say it, but I really like the Tommy Thayer explorer too...
    Last edited by BloodRose; 11-02-2018, 04:11 AM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: New Hamer Standards??

If it’s an import, it’s likely made by World Music that’s makes the import Schecters, ESP’s,Dean, etc... And the quality on those is spot on. The specs on those look better than the original Hamer imports- Is give them a look if I got to try it out first

Comment

Oooo, nice. The specs say the neck shape is a thin U.

If I was to go after an Explorer type, I'd go after either the matching Dean Z to my Chicago Series ML or a Gibson Explorer.

IDK, but I kinda want to put a decal of John Travolta from SNF on the back....LOL

Comment

One of my clients was enamored with Hamers, and ordered this from Chinese maker Rare Guitars...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'd be into it if it had a fatter neck. Don't mind the "U", but thin is non "in" with me.
          Al

Comment

Zombiwoof, I prefer thin necks, so would work for me..

JHM151, I had no idea the maker, but many of the imports these days are pretty good. And if it is the same that makes Schecters and such, thats some good stuff!!

ErikH, I have an Explorer. would like to add another to the stable. No money tho, so will be awhile, so "window shopping now" . Really like the looks and specs of the Tommy Thayer Epi.. Not because of him tho. But again, have always wanted a Hamer (Love the headstocks for one thing)
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I know BTMN knows more about Hamers here than anyone, so hopefully he will chime in.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've never owned a Hamer Standard, but I've played both the USA & MIK versions before Hamer closed shop a few years ago. The USA Standards are amazing guitars; at least as good and probably a bit superior to my Gibson Explorer. I'd have loved to have bought one, but like the OP I could never swing it financially.

OTOH I wasn't impressed with the MIK version; the neck was too skinny, the finish felt really plasticy, and the fingerboard edges were pretty sharp. I'm really picky about neck profiles and the fingerboard edges, so it may not bother others as much. It's one of the major reasons I sold my MIK Echotone, and it's why I've never bought an Epiphone.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Have not played one and as I understand it this new company has had Gibber shut them down on doing this and the V shapes. These have nothing to do with the Hamer of old. Find a nice older Korean import if you want and can't afford a USA. Those were nice guitars and as mrntioned might need a slight tweek to get it just right. RWIW, I have had several import Standards pass through here along with a few other Hamer imports and enjoyed them all. Of course I did not let any bad or not so good get past the strum it test either.
                  Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                  Guitar to sound output:
                  Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                    Have not played one and as I understand it this new company has had Gibber shut them down on doing this and the V shapes. These have nothing to do with the Hamer of old. Find a nice older Korean import if you want and can't afford a USA. Those were nice guitars and as mrntioned might need a slight tweek to get it just right. RWIW, I have had several import Standards pass through here along with a few other Hamer imports and enjoyed them all. Of course I did not let any bad or not so good get past the strum it test either.
                    Interesting about Gibson shutting them down on those shapes, I wonder if Eastwood will be next, they have been making an RD Artist (even call it that) since before Gibson came out with the reissue and have wondered how they got away with it. I think they've covered another old Gibson design but can't remember what it was. It will be interesting to see what happens if the new Gibson is going to start getting litigious over their discontinued guitar designs, I even had the thought that they brought the RD back to set a precedent for putting the brakes on the Eastwood version. I love the fact that Eastwood brings back discontinued models from different brands, like the scroll headstock Ampeg bass (in fretted and unfretted versions, like Rick Danko used), the Ovation Breadwinner (which I once played, I liked it a lot), the Ibanez Talman, and many others. They sometimes put out upgraded versions that address the shortcomings of some of the originals, too.
                    Al
                    Oh yeah, Eastwood has done a V, at least a bass version. There might be another one, too.
                    Last edited by Zombiwoof; 11-03-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Who owns the new Hamer company? I am guessing it is just a group who can afford the IP rights- are they just investors or actual Hamer lovers who bought this brand?
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've always wanted a Hamer, too, but one with a decent sized rounded neck. If the new ones are all slim, I'd be out.
                        Al

Comment

I just sold my USA Hamer Artist Custom... It was really the best guitar I've ever owned. It was refined, tone for days, and beautiful. I'll eventually buy another I'm sure.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                          Originally posted by Securb
                          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Ima havin' some problems with Indonesia = $800

Buy an old Korean Hamer XT.

And - as always, Gibson needs to worry about making their own guitars for $800 - not stopping everyone else. The person who buys that was not spending 1600 on a CSB Explorer...
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Hamer guitars seem like a great investment if you're looking for a kick-ass guitar. Judas Priest seems to like them very much.

;>)/
                              sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X