Well crack my walnuts!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well crack my walnuts!!!!!!

[QUOTE=eclecticsynergy;4271225]The originals have three significant features that the new reissue doesn't:

Real ebony fretboard
    - Noted. That is a bummer, but meh.

Long tenon neck joint
    - Whatever. Does nothing for me or the guitar

T-tops
    - If you love T-Tops, sure. I don't. So win....duncans would go in anyway. 59's perhaps!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Old ones run almost the same price, and can be in plain crappy shape.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The solution is easy, then...used new ones (when available)!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Aint no pro but I know what I like....
          Guitar to sound output:
          Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Then Gibson should just send them all to GC and request they be hung next to the Epiphones. They'll be used but technically still new within days.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

typical in '79. My '79 Custom had to have a refret in only 5 years of use.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                As much as people online knock Gibson, the guitars are consistently better than the Norlin product ever was.
                I disagree

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  The originals have three significant features that the new reissue doesn't:
                  Real ebony fretboard
                  Long tenon neck joint
                  T-tops

I'd look for an old one rather than paying more than it's worth for a so-so modern copy. The originals (that's The Paul, not the Firebrand or the The Paul II) play well and sound massive.

Agree, Norlin made it's modifications to reduce price, but Henry's era makes inappropriate changes and charges MORE. Forever I will be offended by offering the Les Paul Custom as a Custom Shop Only guitar with a synthetic fingerboard. That **** is ridicules and an insult to Gibson's history. Just because Henry is not allowed to purchase Ebony, that doesn't mean there are not other real wood choices to go with. He's just lazy and doesn't want to offer affordable guitars.

I would take a 3 piece Maple Neck, Pancake Body and 3 piece plain top over any fake ebony fingerboard any day of the week. Plus Norlin era wood is now aged to perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by audiocheck View Post
                    I would take a 3 piece Maple Neck, Pancake Body and 3 piece plain top over any fake ebony fingerboard any day of the week. Plus Norlin era wood is now aged to perfection.
                    Anyone who says pancake bodies sound inherently worse than single piece bodies is either dumb or has a hidden agenda.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Does the richlite stuff really sound/feel that bad? Or are people vehemently opposed to it just because?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                        Does the richlite stuff really sound/feel that bad? Or are people vehemently opposed to it just because?
                        If no one told you, you wouldn't notice a difference.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Just because......

And despite probably only being a few $$ different to buy a fretboard of one vs the other, critics somehow want the guitar to be thousands cheaper due to no ebony.

There is a manic 'like it was in the 50's' mentality with most LP owners. Its in part why the 'Norlins suck' brigade exists. Many haven't even actually played any, they just hate because the next person does and they can do no better than parrot other's beliefs - beliefs that are most likely parroted in the first place.
                          It usually comes as a great shock that the 'golden age' of Gibson was responsible for the change to a volute, 3 piece neck, 3 piece tops, oversized headstock, pancake body, 14 degree headstock angle and move away from long tenon construction.
                          The second shock is that the latter part of the Norlin era was responsible for removing most of these and returning to more vintage specs.

Henry did absolutely nothing when he took over to the construction of a LP in the USA line to make it more vintage.....he kept the nashville bridge, short tenon, 3 piece top and weight relief rolling right along.

Comment

Originally posted by audiocheck View Post
                            I loved the three piece maple necks, never had to adjust any of them and they had a little more bite to them than the mahogany necks. Volutes made sense, too.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                              I loved the three piece maple necks, never had to adjust any of them and they had a little more bite to them than the mahogany necks. Volutes made sense, too.
                              You and me both, brother!

Comment

I am not against it, just not on a guitar you are gonna charge $5K for. Martin Guitars use it on there inexpensive line and thats fine. If I was looking to save money, which I some times do, than all good on a budget guitar. It's just ever since the mid 90's Gibson has over priced their stuff and i don't see justification to put Richlite on a guitar with that high a price tag. I bought a 2013 LPJ brand new for $490 and it came with a real Rosewood Fingerboard. If it had come with Richlite, I would have still bought it.

Comment

Working...
                                X