Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well crack my walnuts!!!!!!

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
    Got a real '79 over here if ya wanna try it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93834[/ATTACH]
    Dammit Gene - stop that!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Richlite vs Ebony would be like pleather vs real leather on your Ferrari. Would you notice? Probably not. But that's not the point....I PAID for a Ferrari!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        Just because......

And despite probably only being a few $$ different to buy a fretboard of one vs the other, critics somehow want the guitar to be thousands cheaper due to no ebony.

There is a manic 'like it was in the 50's' mentality with most LP owners. Its in part why the 'Norlins suck' brigade exists. Many haven't even actually played any, they just hate because the next person does and they can do no better than parrot other's beliefs - beliefs that are most likely parroted in the first place.
        It usually comes as a great shock that the 'golden age' of Gibson was responsible for the change to a volute, 3 piece neck, 3 piece tops, oversized headstock, pancake body, 14 degree headstock angle and move away from long tenon construction.
        The second shock is that the latter part of the Norlin era was responsible for removing most of these and returning to more vintage specs.

Henry did absolutely nothing when he took over to the construction of a LP in the USA line to make it more vintage.....he kept the nashville bridge, short tenon, 3 piece top and weight relief rolling right along.
        Agreed, way too much cork sniping going on with Les Pauls. Everyone seems to forget that 50's Les Pauls were discontinued because they were a failure. They didn't sell well. They were plagued with design faults up until '56. By that time the damage was done. So Norlin brought back a failed guitar that, somehow was gaining a lot of interest in the used market. They made decisioned based on producing cost effective models. Why and how would they ever know there was a golden age in 1969?? The used market saw people buying up all old LPs and Modding them. So what basis did they have of any type of holy grail model??

You are right, Norlin woke up and reintroduced some very important design elements. Things started seriously changing by 1982. By late 80's Henry improved the USA line by doing most with book matched tops again. That was a nice improvement. The Golden age of Cork Sniffing hit in the late 80's-early 90's. Early to mid 80's no one was interested in LPs, Golden Age or not.

Just a side note: I think the Norlin Maple neck LPs are the best ones to play metal on. They just have that extra bite.

Comment

wtf is wrong with you people

Aceman buy the guitar, you'll love it
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Richlite isn't all that "cheap". Less expensive than the better grades of rosewood and ebony but not less expensive than the lower cost fretboard blanks. At least not what it costs an individual to buy them. I don't know what the cost differences would be for manufacturers.

Comment

Had an old Firebrand. It ripped.

Anybody talking smack on all Norlin Gibsons because ‘muh uncle’s roommate’s pancake body’ needs to lay off the kool aid.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                Had an old Firebrand. It ripped.

Anybody talking smack on all Norlin Gibsons because ‘muh uncle’s roommate’s pancake body’ needs to lay off the kool aid.
                Amen!

BC rich glues a dozen pieces of wood together and it has GOD-tone. Gibson glues three together and it sucks....as if you can see it anyway. I have two Pancake LPs. A 73 and a 74 repro. They sound fantastic.

Maple neck win > pancake loss (Not that there really is any except according to the internet)

Comment

I have a much more extensive Walnut LP response in the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Amen!

BC rich glues a dozen pieces of wood together and it has GOD-tone. Gibson glues three together and it sucks....as if you can see it anyway. I have two Pancake LPs. A 73 and a 74 repro. They sound fantastic.

Maple neck win > pancake loss (Not that there really is any except according to the internet)
                    Your 73 has a maple neck? Mine’s maho.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      If you love T-Tops, sure. I don't. So win....duncans would go in anyway. 59's perhaps!
                      I like T-tops for neck position. At the bridge, not so much. But in a walnut The Paul they sound larger than life.

Not trying to dissuade you from buying the reissue. But if you can find an original one nearby, you might try it out and see how they compare feelwise. Since you plan on switching pickups anyway, feel is what really matters.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                        Your 73 has a maple neck? Mine’s maho.
                        I have maple necks on my 73, Frehley, and my 79!

Smooth, fast, bright, and strong as %$#$. Best LP necks ever IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                          I like T-tops for neck position. At the bridge, not so much. But in a walnut The Paul they sound larger than life.

Not trying to dissuade you from buying the reissue. But if you can find an original one nearby, you might try it out and see how they compare feelwise. Since you plan on switching pickups anyway, feel is what really matters.
                          I spent a half hour playing the reissue today (Through Kemper). Felt great. Not quite like original...but can't say how exactly. Been a decade since I had one in my hands.

Full Disclosure: I have a T-Top in the neck of my 79. That particular pickup, in that particular guitar just seems to work.

Comment

Working...
                          X