Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with HSH wiring

Hey everyone

I'm planning out an HSH partscaster build and I want to know if this wiring setup is possible

Essentially I want a master volume and master tone, with the volume splitting the neck humbucker and the tone splitting the bridge humbucker. I also want a 5-way switch with the standard strat-style pickup selections, with a secondary 3-way toggle switch. When the 5 way is in the middle/3rd position, the 3way toggle switches between just middle, neck-bridge, and neck-middle-bridge.

I know the basics of guitar electronics, but not enough to know right off the bat how to do this. I've also seen some videos with the same amount of possible configurations, but with kind of confusing electronics. I saw one with a 3rd pushpull that gives neck-bridge in 3rd position and neck-middle-bridge in 4th but that seems pretty counterintuitive to me. I've also seen a newer-ish stock Fender (I can't remember if it was a thinline or a jazzmaster) with a secondary toggle switch that only worked in a certain 5-way position.

I guess my main question is if this exact configuration is possible, and if anyone has any advice or diagrams that would be great too.
    this meme was made by: 9 string fretless ukelele gang

Re: Help with HSH wiring

Hi PureCrispyBacon, and welcome to the forum!

Cool idea, and yes... it’s doable. I’ll have a diagram for you shortly. [emoji106][emoji2532]
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Like I already said, this is a pretty cool idea... might even have to try it on something myself sometime! On the HSH you see in my avatar I have a 3-way toggle for the humbuckers and then a blend pot that blends from the humbuckers only, to adding the center, to the center only. It works pretty good, but there’s an elegance to your idea that’s appealing.

By the way, what kind of guitar is this going into and what pickups will you be using?

In any case, here’s your diagram:

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask... and be sure to come back and tell us how it works!

Comment

You could make a simpler design with just a on/off switch which could add bridge to all positions. It works with a standard 5-way switch. You could have all your classic combinations + bridge, so neck + bridge, neck + middle + bridge would be available.

here it is done with a push/pull but since you have two already you could add a mini on/off switch.
        Last edited by greekdude; 11-10-2018, 11:36 PM.

Comment

That's sick, thank you so much. The guitar I'm planning on doing is a Warmoth body and neck. I want the aesthetic to be like a Fender 70's era strat, but with more versatility. I haven't chosen any pickups yet.

If you don't mind, what software did you use to make that diagram?

Comment

Sounds like a fun guitar... I look forward to hearing about how it works out for you!

The software is a freeware called ExpressSCH. It only does black and white, so I add the colors using Microsoft Paint.

Comment

Awesome, thanks. If you don't mind, could you send the file of the diagram to me at [email protected]

Also, what's the difference between a normal 5-way and a "super" 5 way

Comment

Diagram sent. You may want to take your email address off of here, though! You never know what kind of riff-raff you might run into! [emoji6]

A standard 5-way switch has two poles with 3 lugs plus 1 common on each side. Each pole is connected to one of the pickups and the spaces in between actually connect two poles together (the notch positions).

A 5-way super switch has 4 poles, each with 5 lugs and one common. Because it has five completely separate lugs (one for each position) and 4 poles instead of 2, it isn’t anywhere near as limited in what it can do as a standard 5-way would be.

The setup you were asking for is beyond the capabilities of a standard switch.

5-Position four pole lever switch. Get five great sounds from any pickup combination including S/S/S, H/S/S, H/S/, H/H, H/H/H and more! Create your own custom pickup switching configurations with humbuckers or single coils. Same as Fender 5-way Super Switch. Countless Series, Parallel & Coil Tap Options Fits Strats & Most Guitars with Lever Switches Use with Humbuckers & Single Coils Includes Mounting Screws Made in USA

Comment

Some great info on here. Since my Fender Strat has a swimming pool route it gives me some ideas with a pre-loaded pick guard.

;>)/
                  sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Thanks, and don't worry about the email. It's a burner that I use for stuff like this.

Comment

Another question if you don't mind. I'm still thinking of having 3 knobs total more for aesthetics than anything, and I'm kind of considering putting a passive overdrive circuit in for the 2nd tone control. I'm kind of thinking something like the very bottom diagram in this PDF, but I want the primary tone control to be seperate from the distortion tone control, while maintaining the push-pull to enable functionality. Could I just wire the hot from the main tone control and leave out the capacitor? Or just wire it like another tone pot? Not really sure what to do there

Comment

Help with HSH wiring

I have a Black Ice on my Westone as well... it’s kinda fun.

If I were you, I would just put in the third pot and wire the Black Ice backward from your tone control (to the right lug instead of the left. Then, when you turn the knob “up” (clockwise) the amount of distortion will increase. Then, when it’s all the way “down,” you won’t hear any distortion at all... no need for the push-pull at all.

Comment

So you're saying don't use a push-pull to enable it and just wire it as a normal tone? Like this?Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	5810511

Comment

Close...

Actually, I would put the control (electrically) right along the line between the jack and the volume control, like this:

Alternatively, you could use this diagram from the Black Ice instructions:

Either way, there’s no need for an on/off switch because when it’s turned all the way down no distortion comes through.

By the way, my diagram shows the Black Ice wired for “Industrial Strength.” If you want it some other way just follow their instructions.

Comment

Great thanks so much for all your help. I don't think I would have figured this out on my own. I'll definitely make a video or something when I finish the build

Comment

Working...
                              X