banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repair and Touch-Up Question - Ibanez Matte Finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair and Touch-Up Question - Ibanez Matte Finish?

Alright, I need some advice.

Just took delivery of an Ibanez guitar that the seller said was "barely used" with "no chips, scratches, etc". Now, I wasn't expecting a complete case queen, but turns out it has some nasty chips in the finish, right on the edges and toward the tip. Normally, I would just send a guitar like this back without question, but this guitar is rather rare for a production guitar and I've really wanted one of these since they came out...it's a Xiphos Iron Label XPIR20E, the metal-est of modern pointy guitars!

My question...if I keep it, what's the best way to stop these nasty spots from spreading and maybe cover them up? They are quite jagged and catch/chip easily. They are all between 1/2" to 1" long.

I'd like to have this looking a bit better and even get the chipped areas back flush with the rest of the surrounding finish, if possible (in case I want to paint the bevels a contrasting color later on).

Does anyone happen to know what Ibanez uses as the base/sealer coat on these new finishes? As you can probably see, there's a surprisingly thick, translucent white/clear finish beneath the matte black top coat.

How can I get these chips level with the surrounding finish and keep them from chipping further?

Any help is appreciated!

Here's a stolen pic of an XPIR20E from the web for reference (NOT this particular guitar, but this model looks like WITHOUT the chips!):

Re: Repair and Touch-Up Question - Ibanez Matte Finish?

This shows you how well it was taken care of...check out the last few frets:

Definitely needs some attention!

Comment

great guitar!!

Comment

Thanks! I'm really excited about it. Just sad that it needs so much attention right out of the gate.

Comment

The nearest competent luthier would touch that up with lacquer or maybe even black superglue....
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
            Thanks! I'm really excited about it. Just sad that it needs so much attention right out of the gate.
            the chips are not visible from the front view, the frets seems barely played at all, it should be no biggie for you to polish them

Comment

All touch up jobs start with a Sharpie Permanent Marker and only go further if that didn't do the job

If you flip guitars a lot, get the 24-color (iirc) set
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

HAHAHA! I've done the Sharpie thing plenty of times. Hoping to do this one a little better.

Plus, I gotta stop those spots from spreading and I want to level the finish. Hard to build layers with just a Sharpie

You know, for a metal guitar, the flat black finish on this thing sure seems delicate!

The frets will polish up fine, just another thing on the "to-do" list to get this thing back on its feet, along with a setup, repairing the broken 3-way toggle (he snapped it clean off), etc.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm definitely glad I didn't pay any more for it. Either way, it'll be a nice player once I'm done with it for sure.

Comment

So what IS that really thick white coating directly on the wood?

It looks like there's maybe a primer above that and then the black finish.

Comment

Yeah its an undercoat. I would do a superglue repair on that with fantastic result.

Comment

Oh, hell no. Just send the thing back, and wait for a better one to come along. Sellers should not be able to get away with misrepresenting an item in its description.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I followed this and it turned out awesome.

Comment

Hmmm...might try the superglue. ICTgoober, how does one make "black" superglue?

I can't polish/sand this finish at all. It's too thin and shows everything

I will say that I didn't pay a whole lot for the guitar. I mean, it wasn't free, but I could probably part it out for a profit, ha ha! Still, I'd like to keep it and make it happy for now
                          Last edited by Masta' C; 12-19-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Hmmm...might try the superglue. ICTgoober, how does one make "black" superglue?
                            Stewmac sells black and white superglues in multiple viscosities.... just like clear superglue.
                            I use black on ebony fingerboards all the time. Haven't bought any white yet, but it hear it's great for white binding.
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I would prepare a burnished razor blade with tape on it for scraping, a bottle of StewMac black super glue with a pack of whip tips. 400, 600, 800 & 1000 grit sandpaper and some boiled linseed oil. First scrape off the flaking paint on the worst least visible spot. Drop in the superglue. After the glue cures scrape it like Dan Earlewine does in his video. start sanding and blending like Dan does but stop at 800 or 1000 and rub in the oil. Do Not use any buffing compounds or polish. It is a matte finish! You'll get the hang of it!
                              Scotty D.

Comment

Working...
                              X