banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    Based on comparing the RG I just picked up to the ash body Schecter I have, I think a CC would be too mid heavy for basswood with a rosewood board, IMHO anyway. My RG has a Tone Zone in the bridge and the Schecter has an Air Zone, the RG is almost too thick sounding, at least using the same settings as the Schectum. I'm thinking about trying a set of Transitions that I have in the RG, or maybe an EVO 2 and a PAF Pro.
    I have a set of BKP Rebel Yell that I was going to install but unfortunately they are long legged...[emoji853]

Comment

I haven't tried BKPs, I usually just go Dmz in basswood, most of their pickups seem to be geared to work well with Ibzs.

Comment

I never tried any of the Customs but its on my list as well. Actually I want two of them so I can make double fillisters. Im guessing an A8 and the 2xA5 magnets as well as the ceramic (SH-5) will be among my favs.

I tried an A8 in a TB4 with double rows of hex in my basswood 87 Model-3 last night and I really liked that version of this pickup alot! I also very much liked it with double fillisters with a ceramic and then an A5... I havent tried the 2xA5 in it yet.
        87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

I haven't tried BKPs, I usually just go Dmz in basswood, most of their pickups seem to be geared to work well with Ibzs.
          I have a Super D and a Bluesbucker laying around not being used...
          I just removed the cover on the Bluesbucker last Saturday in anticipation of installing it in the Ibby.

Comment

That might be a good combo, hard to go wrong with a Super D!

Comment

That might be a good combo, hard to go wrong with a Super D!
              For the neck I also have a 36th Anny...
              I think I’m leaning toward the BBucker because it has a really sweet too end...nice and round.
              The 36th is super thick sounding but maybe a little tubby in the low end....what are your thoughts on those two?

Comment

Unfortunately I haven't tried either one so I can't help you with those. Let me know what you try and how it works out.

Comment

Will do

Comment

You should try an A8 magnet in your JB, I think you'd really like it. I've been jamming on my TB-4 double hex with A8 since last night and so far out of all the magnets Ive tried so far this is def my fav.

Did you get a short list of neck pickups going yet, or you gonna wait to sort out the bridge position first and then build around that? Sometimes that's best cause you'll have a baseline established at that point.
                    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

• Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

So today unplugged into my Blackstar HT-20 and about 20 seconds in I had a tube failure.
                      So I replaced and biased up a new set of JJ 6Ca7’s.
                      The JB actually sounded pretty damn good! It still has that high mid thing going on, which I’m not in love with.
                      I emailed Fokin today asking about a set...I’m hoping to hear back tomorrow. I just love his pickups....the set that I typically get from him has a low mid thing going on which, to my ears is perfect.

Edit:
                      Where do you get your magnets from? Addictionfx?
                      I’m absolutely not opposed to swapping a different mag into that JB.

Comment

• Re: Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

It's nice to have a good Fokin set of pick ups on your Ibby...man.

;>)/
                        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by RorySquier View Post
                          It's nice to have a good Fokin set of pick ups on your Ibby...man.

;>)/
                          Haha!
                          If you try these pickups you’ll be converted forever!!

Comment

Yea mojotone, addiction fx, cermag is who makes the 2xA5 and 2xA8 magnets.
                            I need an A2 yet to try in this TB-4 and I might try an A9 also.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              Haha!
                              If you try these pickups you’ll be converted forever!!
                              I never really heard of them but they sound like they're good pick ups. How do they compare to a Duncan '59 which I have on my beloved Godin Belmont guitar? Are they reasonably priced?

;>)/
                              Last edited by RorySquier; 02-13-2019, 11:00 PM.
                              sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

Originally posted by RorySquier View Post
                                I never really heard of them but they sound like they're good pick ups. How do they compare to a Duncan '59 which I have on my beloved Godin Belmont guitar? Are they reasonably priced?

;>)/
                                My only experience with the 59 is a “little 59” I have in my Tele. I would assume it’s close enough to the full size version. In any case the 59 is a great pickup. It’s tough to make a direct comparison because the Fokin model pickup I use is wound a bit hotter. I would guess it’s probably closer to a Custom Custom (or something from the Custom family). And his neck pickup I use is similar to the AP2....which I absolutely love the sound of.
                                I’ve got his pickups in 4 guitars.
                                My LP Standard

LP Special with p90’s (he Custom wound a set to sound like the humbuckers I described above....no extra charge)

My Kramer Focus

And My MIM Strat (HSS)

The pickups are clear and focused with a lot of midrange bite focused on the low mids as opposed to he high mids like a JB.
                                The low end is tight but isn’t “metal tight”...certainly tighter than a JB. The highs are smooth and not piercing at all.
                                The prices are great....the set of p90’s shipped to my door from Moscow were $110. The humbuckers were just a little more.
                                He has a big lineup of pickups to choose from. Everything from Vintage to Metal, and like I said he wound those Custom p90’s at no extra charge for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X