banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapped the Zink block in my proto Washburn for a steel block and WOW!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapped the Zink block in my proto Washburn for a steel block and WOW!!

The old Washburn USA one off had a traditional Strat style bridge with a thick zink block. I would fight it every time I restrung the guitar as strings would get caught in that old block and i would have to push them out with a ice pick so--. Had a steel big USA block laying around and the last time I tried to string the guitar had 4 strings not come out of that old Block so--I just said enough of this and swapped the blocks. The USA Steel block is slightly longer so will have to figure out what to do about the trem plate in the rear as it's hitting the block. What I was not expecting was the dramatic tone change and extra sustain with this steel block!! REALLY woke this guitar up punchier brighter and the sustain is nuts!! Was like pulling a blanket off the guitar!
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-12-2019, 06:09 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Swapped the Zink block in my proto Washburn for a steel block and WOW!!

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    The old Washburn USA one off had a traditional Strat style bridge with a thick zink block. I would fight it every time I restrung the guitar as strings would get caught in that old block and i would have to push them out with a ice pick so--. Had a steel big USA block laying around and the last time I tried to string the guitar had 4 strings not come out of that old Block so--I just said enough of this and swapped the blocks. The USA Steel block is slightly longer so will have to figure out what to do about the trem plate in the rear as it's hitting the block. What I was not expecting was the dramatic tone change and extra sustain with this steel block!! REALLY woke this guitar up punchier brighter and the sustain is nuts!! Was like pulling a blanket off the guitar!
    It may not always be a desirable change, but swapping a zinc block for steel is often night and day. Glad it worked out so well!
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I agree with Dystrust...sometimes the tone of zinc can be a desirable thing (quality of the casting plays a role)...but it's great to hear that the steel block brought desirable changes to that guitar! Zinc and Steel do indeed have different characteristics.

Comment

A GFS steel trem and block did wonders in my Squier Strat. I also have some bent steel saddles I haven't installed yet, using the regular ****ty OEM ones.

Noticeably louder, and just bigger sounding.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Tone was not something I was really thinking about when I did the block swap. While I knew it would make some difference had no concept it would be THAT much of a noticeable difference!
          For me I was simply tired of fighting to get the strings out of that old zink block every time I strung the guitar. Guitar has a EMG 85 / H60A set in it so was a little toward the dark side already and that didn't hurt. If it had a brighter set of pickups could have been a little harsh. In hindsight probably would have been better off with a brass block in this one but still it was night and day! Might throw a set of Graf Tec saddles on it in the future to mellow it just a bit though.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Every Yamaha Pacifica I've gotten with the stock vintage style trem I've swapped out the trem block for either a big steel or brass one from GFS and also swapped out the cheap stamped saddles for some good SS saddles from GFS. Tuning, tone, sustain and ease of changing strings all were improved.

Comment

I've always said that trem block should be the first upgrade for any guitar with those cheap lightweight zinc things.

It's always greatly improved guitars which I've done it.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                I've always said that trem block should be the first upgrade for any guitar with those cheap lightweight zinc things.

It's always greatly improved guitars which I've done it.
                Could see it with the little small Zinc blocks but this one was a big thick block. Was why i was so surprised it made so much difference. Already had nice saddles and a beefy baseplate..
                Guitars

Comment

Zinc?

Comment

Ascension , dont bother with the trem cavity cover. Yngwie (and many others) have thrown this away!

Comment

Personally I’ve always thought that replacing Tremolo blocks in MIM Strats, Etc, is one of the most important mods you can do & it’s so often overlooked..

BTW, I just so happen to own the world’s best Stratocaster (Disclaimer- Author may be biased) but it certainly didn’t start out that way. Originally it was just a really great playing 99 MIM with a cheap zinc block....

To make it what it is today I started with several sets of very expensive pickups, in fact I changed all the electronics & I still wasn’t overly impressed with the tone but once I added the steel block she just came alive! Once I got that sorted out it was much easier to find the tone I was looking for via pickups, Etc..

I’ll show you guys but you have to promise that you won’t laugh?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	D2140F0B-1389-4539-8D72-928B2E5AFC5F.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	5812915

I know, it looks like EVH, Brian Seltzer, & Clapton had a unprotected, coke fueled orgy then said orgy resulted in a very “Special” love child. Just don’t judge a book by it’s cover is all I’m saying, LOL....
                      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

That's bad-@$$

Needs a chrome volume knob, though

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                          That's bad-@$$

Needs a chrome volume knob, though
                          I actually have one that was originally on it but I use my volume knob a lot & the smaller MXR styled pedal knob gives me a little more control so it'should function over for in this case. However I should probably put a black one on it instead of the green one?
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                            ...EVH, Brian Seltzer, & Clapton...
                            Add Steve Vai to the mix.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              Add Steve Vai to the mix.
                              Lol, there you go!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X