Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Balancing string tensions across different guitars

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
    GuitarStv, that’s interesting, how did you get to that?
    The original plan was to use a regular set of 10s on the Fender scale stuff, but I wasn't paying attention and bought the wrong set . . . then found out that I preferred it. :P

You get used to different string guages pretty quickly (only thing I couldn't get used to was a wound G string on electric . . . I'm not man enough to enjoy bending that bridge cable bastard. I tend to use standard tuning 99% of the time though, if you have radically different tunings on your guitars I could maybe see the tensions making more difference.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If you’re gonna go down this path, realize that it’s more of a case by case basis. The tension on my 8 string makes sense on paper as is, but the wound strings sound like a bass.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
        I started wondering recently, is it worth trying to balance string tensions across my guitars, accounting for different scale lengths and different tunings? Previously I had gone the other way, trying to keep my Les Pauls “spongier” and my Strats “snappier” in the same tuning.

Does anyone else do this? Either ballpark it with standard gauge packs, or use custom sets? Or not bother?
        Of course David Gilmour have thought about this.
        His signature string sets are :

10 for Strat and 10,5 for LP.

I use 10-46 on Fender and now I feel no change for bends with 10,5 on my SG. Great !

Currently I would like to know which gauge for the third string would feel just like as a 17 in E when you downtune to D

I use 10-46 for most guitars plus :
        10,5 for SG
        11-52 for regular slide / 12-56 for downtuned slide
        14-68 for 27"7 Baritone
        Last edited by Francois; 04-30-2019, 08:28 AM.
        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Try an 18 or 19

Also, google “D’Addario string tension pro” and figure out exactly what gauges you need
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            What scale & tuning?
            its a custom rick turner model t, 27" scale and its tuned B to B

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              its a custom rick turner model t, 27" scale and its tuned B to B
              My 27” 8 string has an 80 tuned to F#. That would be pretty gnarly tuned up to B.

Comment

im used to 11-50 on 25.5 in std tuning and would actually prefer a 52 or 54 so the 68 seems a bit light but im over making custom sets. at least for now

Comment

9-42s on everything. Simple, effective, and easy on my aging fingers!
                  Originally posted by The Commodores?
                  "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I find the same scale guitars can have amazing differences in feel just due to setup type issues. I tend to play around a little with the guitar initially.......seeing what gauge and tuning best suits the guitar. I never try and force anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      Try an 18 or 19

Also, google “D’Addario string tension pro” and figure out exactly what gauges you need
                      I am asking because yesterday I put a 11-49 (D'Add EXL115) on a 25"5 guitar I intended to tune in standard D (remembering the green Ernie Not Even Slinky I use for Open C minor slide was to tensed in D) but in standard D 11-14-18-28-38-49 has no balls and the 3rd string 18 is especially crappy.

I will get a NW020 for this.

Thanks for for the string tension pro link !
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I use, as many do, 9s on the Fender scale, 10s on the Gibson scales. I used the same gauge on all my guitars at one time, but a non guitar related fretting hand injury led me to go down to 9s on the 25.5.

So, I could say my tension is more balanced now between the scales, but the motivation for doing so may have been different.

Comment

Working...
                        X