Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10-46 using drop D

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    Yeah, but loosen your truss rod all the way, and even light gauge strings will warp it into an upbow making it hard to play.

That’s why we have truss rods.
    Depends on the neck and guitar. Most of my builds with 11's or 12's at standard tuning don't move in the slightest

Comment

Your guitar should be just fine. The question is, do you want that floppy downtuned feel? I didn’t like it when I tuned down and switched to 11s. I play a Gibson scale guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        Depends on the neck and guitar. Most of my builds with 11's or 12's at standard tuning don't move in the slightest
        I put double action rods and two carbon bars in my necks. They only move where you set them.

But try it on a Fender or Gibson. I set up guitars that are brought to be with misadjusted rods all the time. Either the action is too high or it’s buzzing in the middle. [emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
          Your guitar should be just fine. The question is, do you want that floppy downtuned feel? I didn’t like it when I tuned down and switched to 11s. I play a Gibson scale guitar.

The feeling is fine. It doesnt flop too easily. But i think i have a hard time hearing the low E in drop D.
          I think ill switch the low E for a 52. Hopefully itll have more volume.

Comment

I use 10-46 religiously, in drop-d on a 25.5 inch scale length and never had any issues. You're good. Don't over think it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            -Greg

Guitars:
            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Thanks guys. I put some oil on the fretboard last night just to make it look good and healthy.

Comment

I've been using 9-46 for drop-D since, what, 1992 or so on all sort of guitars. Never had a neck warping problem because of that. What kills a neck is tuning all strings up and down 2-3 semitones all the time, weather that suck and lousy build materials.
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                  I've been using 9-46 for drop-D since, what, 1992 or so on all sort of guitars. Never had a neck warping problem because of that. What kills a neck is tuning all strings up and down 2-3 semitones all the time, weather that suck and lousy build materials.
                  Yes, but before going there (which I agree with you) I would like to add, that nut and bridge binding and dialing them in probably accounts for more than 80% of all issues IME -including screwing with the neck -and everything else get's blamed in frustration -so OP -make sure you nut and bridge are dialed in and the string moves smoothly across the tension points.
                  '
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    Yes, but before going there (which I agree with you) I would like to add, that nut and bridge binding and dialing them in probably accounts for more than 80% of all issues IME -including screwing with the neck -and everything else get's blamed in frustration -so OP -make sure you nut and bridge are dialed in and the string moves smoothly across the tension points.
                    '

If you meant if i properly setup my floyd guitars nut and bridge level flat of the body while in dropD then yes. Its been always checked if its still in level.

Comment

Working...
                    X