banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a Neck Heel / Pocket Gap affect scale length ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a Neck Heel / Pocket Gap affect scale length ??

So I have about 3 identically set up Ibanez guitars but 1 in particular has always felt quite stiffer to play (the strings feel tighter, despite being gauge 9's)

After close inspection, I've noticed that the Neck doesnt fit as snugly in the bolt on pocket, and there is a slightly larger gap between the neck pickup and the neck heel . I can confirm also from looking side-on that the other 2 guitars' necks sit deeper in as the side dots of the 19th frets are deeper into the neck pocket.

Could this be a potential reason for the guitar being harder to play / feeling tighter ? I'm assuming the larger distance between neck heel and body result in a slightly longer scale length ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nekc Heel Gap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5851503

Perhaps if I could sand / smoothen the edges of the neck pocket OR corners of the neck heel I could get the neck deeper in hence reduce the unnecessary gap and potentially help playability ??
    -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
    -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
    -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
    -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
    -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
    -RG7 BKP Brutes

Re: Does a Neck Heel / Pocket Gap affect scale length ??

No, because you intonate the guitar by adjusting the saddles so it plays in pitch.

Of course your setup affects the precise intonation, so guitars of identical measured length could end up with different saddle positions. But then again your setup is the root cause of guitars plying differently in the first place.....so its all academic with the original premise.

Comment

That's some great info actually, thanks man !
      -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
      -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
      -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
      -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
      -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
      -RG7 BKP Brutes

Comment

With the guitar strung up, loosen the neck bolts and wack the neck snugly in the pocket then tighten the bolts.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          With the guitar strung up, loosen the neck bolts and wack the neck snugly in the pocket then tighten the bolts.
          Extremely poor advice, especially without even seeing the guitar. That is "bull-in-a-china-shop" advice. There is no need for brute force when dealing with a precision instrument. I would never advise doing that to any guitar.

If your guitar is accurately intonated, it is fine, leave it as is. If the scale length is indeed off, too long, it will be an insignificant amount to affect the feel or playability of the guitar. String sets of the same size can actually feel drastically different depending on brand or type of string (thicker core wire, hex or round core, alloy, etc.).
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

What the other Clint suggested here has been done many times with reasonable success. Seems a bit barbaric to me, but dozens of guys from the Warmoth forums to the Strat and Tele forums swear by it. Though, they say to let the string tension do the work...no need to bump it under tension.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
              let the string tension do the work...no need to bump it under tension.
              Ah, and there is the key. If the neck is already wedged tightly into the pocket (which we don't know because we haven't seen the guitar), "wack(ing) the neck snugly" may cause damage, like cracking/splitting the wood. Wedges are used to great success to split logs.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X