banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is advanced music theory really required at all for rock/metal guitar?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is advanced music theory really required at all for rock/metal guitar?

Yeah...they do.

As do a few others..like this.

Oh ..& do feel free to post a couple of your own and show me how it's done..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Comment

Good clean technique, bending, vibrato, theory, groove/rhythm, it all works together, and it takes work to be able to play.

After watching those videos I'm going to backtrack and say yes, some rudimentary understanding of music is necessary for playing any kind of music.
        Last edited by devastone; 06-03-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Backtrack all you like ..as Obsessive Compulsive likes to say.. "it's your perogative"

Feel free to analyse as many as you like..here's a couple more to pass your time with

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Youtube

Comment

Knock yourself out...there's an orgy's worth of analysis to be done right there ^^

You can:

a)Point out all the 'mistakes'
              b)be 'confused' at what's going on..
              c)crib about tone
              d)crib about anything else that catches your fancy
              e) and last but far from least tell me how much I need advanced theory.. ( 'cuz we all love beating dead horses don't we?)

In other words lots of fun to be had...

Youtube

Comment

^What's the confusion? It's just typical early 80s rock in minor keys and notes, with occasional passing tones. Or something that I miss? It's 5 fn' minutes ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  I think the above videos answer the question on whether or not theory is necessary.
                  Ummm....pretty sure neither of those were blues progressions.

If grasping the definition of a traditional American style of music that has been around for hundreds of years is too tough there’s no way we can expect any type of grasp of major scale harmony from the op.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria
                    Knock yourself out...there's an orgy's worth of analysis to be done right there ^^

You can:

a)Point out all the 'mistakes'
                    b)be 'confused' at what's going on..
                    c)crib about tone
                    d)crib about anything else that catches your fancy
                    e) and last but far from least tell me how much I need advanced theory.. ( 'cuz we all love beating dead horses don't we?)

In other words lots of fun to be had...
                    You’re presenting this like you were minding your own business, someone walked up to you and yelled, “You need to learn theory!”

No one is forcing you to learn any theory, and anyone who is suggesting it’s not a bad idea ONLY did so because you asked. I bet if your next thread is “Does anyone care if I don’t want to learn theory?”, no one will say yes.

As far as the clip, I’m moving this weekend. Once I get settled, I’ll record a clip of whatever you like.
                    Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 06-04-2019, 04:04 AM.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      Ummm....pretty sure neither of those were blues progressions.

If grasping the definition of a traditional American style of music that has been around for hundreds of years is too tough there’s no way we can expect any type of grasp of major scale harmony from the op.
                      Don't expect it then..who gives a hoot

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        You’re presenting this like you were minding your own business, someone walked up to you and yelled, “You need to learn theory!”

No one is forcing you to learn any theory, and anyone who is suggesting it’s not a bad idea ONLY did so because you asked. I bet if your next thread is “Does anyone care if I don’t want to learn theory?”, no one will say yes.

As far as the clip, I’m moving this weekend. Once I get settled, I’ll record a clip of whatever you like.
                        I kinda was minding my own business actually All I said in the other thread in reply to the post above me was that I use my ears when I play...not theory 'cuz I find that to be a better, more effective & fun approach to the sort of stuff I do. That's what set this off in the other "theory' thread..

This thread that I started was again about how I was able to re-affirm my position based on the various blogs/websites I checked out 'cuz I had'nt read anything anywhere that 'caused me to change my views. I then said anyone was free to add their two bits if they felt differently. I did'nt ask anyone anything about theory at all 'cause I've got bugger-all interest in it ...as I've repeatedly said before

..& I'll be waiting with baited breath

Youtube

Comment

So, to be clear, question is about "theory" as in understanding the concept behind a musical piece or the ability to read/write a musical piece on paper? Is it both? Thread was TL;DR, i cant do the latter but would like to learn sometime, the former I have some grasp of & would also like to increase my knowledge of it. I find it interesting, not everyone has too. Certainly no need to force it down on anyone.

What I like about knowing theory is where to use it to alter something to make it different than what it originally was. Some ideas i cant hear in my head, i can get ideas from analysing a part, might even be for 3secs in the entire song but enough to sometimes open a new approach to it & make the piece bigger or interesting. It's fun if I'm drained out of ideas or find things to be repititive, it helps me.

Its a free world, learning anything of value is nice. Wanting to learn music theory is a desire for some, its alright if some dont wish to do the same. I would like to own an altosax one day & sound like Dave Koz, well I hope so...

Comment

I have a theory about music.

It goes like this: if you’re playing music even remotely close to what is generally accepted as sounding “good,“ you’re using music theory… Whether you realize it or not.

…But it’s just a theory.

[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by The Commodores?
                            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

well, I agree with you and that's basically what I've been saying all along myself. I don't have to get it from a book...that's the difference. If you're (ie..anyone's) out their poring over theory books, attending theory classes etc & I'm out there playing what your learning that way already by using my ears ..well that's just fine by me then (way I look at it)

I personally don't have any interest in how things work in music as long as my ears tell me they work. You (ie...anyone) are most welcome to do whatever the **** you please though...that's your thing...leave me at mine

Youtube

Comment

I hear ya, but consider this:

I absolutely agree with you about the whole “to each his own“ thing, but the difference between someone who plays with no knowledge of theory whatsoever and someone who plays and has tons oh theory background isn’t quite as black and white as you make it seem. Just because someone knows theory, DOESN’T mean that they sat around doing nothing musically during the time of their study. I know LOTS of musicians (as do you I’m sure) and my experience has been that most of the guys who know theory well started out with just their ears. They didn’t need to “pass a course“ or anything like that in order to be able to play, but rather learned the theory because they were interested in it or had a desire for further knowledge.

But theory is absolutely NOT a requirement of good musicianship. I think it’s like any other subject. For instance, I work for a paint manufacturer and have been selling paint for about 30 years. About three years ago I started working at our factory/ distribution center as our buyer and at that time started rubbing elbows more with the guys who actually make the products. To be honest, I am a guy who knows the features and benefits, but to this day when they start talking about all the additives, binders, pigments, defoamers, resins, and other sciency stuff that goes into a gallon of paint my eyes still glaze over because I could give a rats ass about what’s in it. I know it’s important, but I simply don’t care enough about it to feel like learning it.… and I don’t NEED to learn it in order to be able to sell it. But at the same time I have nothing but respect for those who DO care about it... I need them as much as they need me, and every once in a while, no matter how hard we try NOT to, we learn something from one another that actually comes in handy.

Music theory is the same way… If you want to cruise by with just your ears then that’s absolutely what you should do, but don’t pretend that the guys who do enjoy learning theory have nothing to offer musically. Learning theory, despite some of the talk out there, does NOT squash creativity one iota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by The Commodores?
                                "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Working...
                                X