Floyd guys - a word of caution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd guys - a word of caution.

I picked up a really nice ESP M-II with a complaint about one of the string blocks not moving. It was making it hard to change the string.

I took the saddle off the Floyd and found that the block was indeed wedged into the saddle and didn't move much. It took me well over an hour to worry that thing out of the hole. The client had been tightening the block down too hard on the string. On the older Floyds, the locking blocks were hardened, and simply cracked when over tightened. Now - they bulge out at the bottom, thus resulting in the block being stuck. I sanded a couple thousandths off each side and swabbed the square hole of the saddle with light machine oil (Mobile Vactra DTE-10, if you care). Now the block moves back and forth freely, but will be held in once the locking screw is inserted.

Then I performed a complete restring and set it up nice and low so the client will be happy-happy-joy-joy when he picks it up tomorrow. Yes, I charged extra for fixing the block.

So, here's the deal - snug it down on the string, but don't cinch it down like a muscleman. You just want the string to stay put, not to damage the small parts of your axe.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Floyd guys - a word of caution.

Very few parts are ever helped by "farmer tight".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to know they bloom at the bottom. Made the mistake of overtightening before, but (luckily) it simply cracked and was easy to remove / replace.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I've had this happen decades ago, don't remember if it was an OFR or one of the Schaller cast plate ones. And yeah, I was probably overtightening, it's pretty amazing how much force is generated from that extra 1/4 - 1/2 turn on the allen wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Very few parts are ever helped by "farmer tight".
          My dad's a farmer. Every time something's wrong with the tractor the first tool he picks up is his hammer. I don't let him touch my guitars. :P
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            My dad's a farmer. Every time something's wrong with the tractor the first tool he picks up is his hammer. I don't let him touch my guitars. :P
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190604-112810_Chrome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5814418
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

As a Floyd noob,I gotta ask: what is "tight enough"?

How do I know that the strings won't slip out of the saddle? Is there a trick to making sure they don't?
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I understand your question, and don't have a good answer except "firm", if it's too loose the string will most likely slip out when you tune it up.

I know that isn't a good answer, it's definitely a feel thing after the past 3 decades. Back in the day I also have had Ibanez Edge saddles break because they are not hardened, so they require a little more care than the hardened Floyd ones.

Comment

Snug and make sure the string is centered or it may not last long.

Comment

Finger tighten it with the Allen wrench going into the bolt the long ways. Then take the wrench out, put the short end in so that you have more leverage, and go 1/8 to 1/4 turn max more. At least that's what I do.

Comment

Finger tighten it with the Allen wrench going into the bolt the long ways. Then take the wrench out, put the short end in so that you have more leverage, and go 1/8 to 1/4 turn max more. At least that's what I do.

That's a good rule of thumb. Once you know the "feel" then you can skip the first step.

Comment

+1
                        This is what I do as well.

Comment

That's a good rule of thumb. Once you know the "feel" then you can skip the first step.
                          It's not about saving time. It's about doing it well the first time, so you don't have to do it the second time.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks for the info, gents. I have had a Godin with a floyd for years that I hardly play because I'm kind of intimidated by the idea of having to do any maintenance on the bridge.
                            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                              Thanks for the info, gents. I have had a Godin with a floyd for years that I hardly play because I'm kind of intimidated by the idea of having to do any maintenance on the bridge.
                              Well that's a waste!

Comment

Working...
                              X