Jackson Rhoads and King V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Rhoads and King V

Which guitar is easier to play sitting down, Jackson King V or the Jackson Rhoads?

Re: Jackson Rhoads and King V

Never had a King V, but Rhoads style Vs are way easier to play sitting down than a Gibson Flying V.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've never owned either, but I've played both. They're pretty comparable and comfortable to play sitting down as long as the output jack is in the upper wring of the V and not the lower.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I love the King V. When I first bought mine it was awkward to hold or balance it until I figured a way holding it standing up or sitting down. When I'm standing up I have the lower horn in between my legs to hold it stable and in a very comfortable playing position. When I sit down I hold the guitar like a classical guitar with the lower horn again between my legs propping up the guitar into a very comfortable position. The King V is definitely comfortable sitting down or standing up. I never played a Rhoads V but I would imagine it would also be comfortable to play.

;>)/
        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

The Rhoads is easier play sitting down. With the King V you have to sit on the edge of the seat.

Comment

I had a RR5 and have always loved the king V as well. part of why the rhoads came into existence was to solve the sit down problem.

Comment

Another vote for the Rhoads as far as sitting down goes. As Dystrust says, just make sure the output jack is in the top wing (most of the models these days are)

Comment

Depends where the jack is.
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Sweet! Thanks guys!

Comment

Rhoads is definitely easier. However, the KEY to playing any V seated is to use a classical foot stand on the left foot!

Sit the "crotch" of the V on right thigh. Then elevate the left leg with the stand, place neck/body joint on left thigh. Good to go. Makes it totally comfortable.

Here is an example with a King V

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3280.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	5814522

I will point out though, that if you are playing the V seated, you are doing it wrong....
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Had both.
                      Both very uncomfortable for me.
                      I'll stick to Strats & Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Rhoads is definitely easier. However, the KEY to playing any V seated is to use a classical foot stand on the left foot!

Sit the "crotch" of the V on right thigh. Then elevate the left leg with the stand, place neck/body joint on left thigh. Good to go. Makes it totally comfortable.

Here is an example with a King V

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99018[/ATTACH]

I will point out though, that if you are playing the V seated, you are doing it wrong....
                        I am 100% unsuprised that you have a jenna jameson king V

As to the OP i say try both. i find the King V easier to sit with, i put the lower horn between my legs and behind my right calf, like this i can get the neck to stand up at a better angle than i can get a rhoads to do the same. But I will agree with ace if you are playing them sitting down you are doing it wrong.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

That belongs to Steve Dallas....
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Classical position for both but as mentioned above, the King V would be easier because you can rest the wing in your calf.

Comment

Cant speak for the king V, but as others have said the Rhoads is fine sitting down in the classical position. I play my RR5 sitting quite a bit. But as Aceman said, play it standing! (Just kidding on that, I have a bad knee and my legs get tired)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190513_205541_302.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5814540
                              Last edited by v8stang289; 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM.
                              "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Working...
                              X