Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for the guitar builders.

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    The lower double dots, as you say, aren't disorienting (in fact, I have a '27 Martin with said inlays). The higher ones are to me, though. It's not only that they are there in the first place, but that they are on the IV of the open strings up high, and the V down low. Perhaps not so disorienting in real-world use (especially since I don't go up there anyhow), but it accounts for the neck initially seeming to be an odd length in photos, I think.
    I get what you're saying about being disorienting. I was going to copy that idea on my necks but decided I could never play them...I'd get confused where I was playing (I do play all over the neck and to have the dbl dots down low on the 5 position and up high on the 4 position really messes with my mind.

So I ended up deciding to put dbl dots on the 4 position low and high (5th and 17th frets) and triple dots on the 12th fret.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Why not just build a LaBaye copy instead, if a rectangular guitar with good upper fret access is your goal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	labay2x4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	5814530

1967, the Summer of Love. Everything still seemed possible, and anything went. No more war, racial and gender equality, Fresh Cream, the Beatles best record ever, the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Phew! What a difference the next year would bring! And that applied to guitars. None more than this classic minimalist La Baye 2x4 "Six." This
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I gotta be honest, I don't like that at all. Partially because I don't like Bixby's, and I'm almost exclusively a "sit-down" player. That would never sit in my lap. But mainly, it just doesn't look good. Sorry.

I think this is my final "The Bo" design. I tried to add a little radius on the lower bout, and I'd like to do a simple MT/BV/NV configuration, using my own special dual-vol technique. (Hitherto, never seen before.) I also widened the body just a pinch. Maybe 3/4".

Name:	Gretsch_Bo-Diddley_mod-7sm.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	5814531

Comment

That looks cool. I could totally get into that (except for the fret markers). I like the dimensions now that you widened it slightly, it doesn't look weird just unique. I also like the BV, NV, MT idea...i use that on almost all of my builds. However, I add a mini toggle for a tone bypass.

You gotta have a pup selector switch.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            That looks cool. I could totally get into that (except for the fret markers). I like the dimensions now that you widened it slightly, it doesn't look weird just unique. I also like the BV, NV, MT idea...i use that on almost all of my builds. However, I add a mini toggle for a tone bypass.
            Yeah, the controls aren't written in stone just yet. The fretmarkers aren't a problem because I'm going to utilize a neck that I already have. I don't feel comfortable trying to build a neck at this time.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            You gotta have a pup selector switch.
            Actually . . . I don't. It's one of the cool things about my unique volume control design. I'll provide a little more info on that later.

Fretmarkers fixed.

Name:	Gretsch_Bo-Diddley_mod-7sm2.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5814532
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Actually . . . I don't. It's one of the cool things about my unique volume control design. I'll provide a little more info on that later.

Fretmarkers fixed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99033[/ATTACH]
              Well, knowing you, I'm not surprised that you've got something quite clever up your sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Y
                Fretmarkers fixed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99033[/ATTACH]
                thank you. I was having palpitations
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It was throwing off my sense of . . . . wait for it . . . . scale.

Comment

Working...
                  X