banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you sell the first guitar you ever had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you sell the first guitar you ever had?

Really just enjoying reading everyone's guitar stories, in this thread. Keep them coming!

Comment

Bought my first guitar in high school, in Germany, in 1969. It was a cheap Framus. I don't even remember what happened to it. It was unusual in that the pickups, controls, and output jack were all installed in a raised plastic piece that you could remove the mounting screws from and slide the whole assembly out from under the strings.

Comment

I've actually been back and forth on this a few times over the years, but now the answer is firmly NO. My first guitar was/is a Gibson GK-55, the weird bolt-on '55 Les Paul Special "tribute" with humbuckers instead of P90s and Heritage style cavity covers. My parents bought it for me new and started me on lessons back in '79, and even though I've been off and on about learning and practicing, been annoyed and disappointed with how it sounded, broken the headstock twice in one month, had the pickups stolen, put in storage when apathetic about playing, looked at it in disgust while imagining buying and playing cooler guitars, then got nostalgic about the whole thing and stripped it down for a full refinish and mods. And I have seriously considered selling it back when I was less successful financially, or irritated with playing. Fortunately it is just undesireable enough to simply be not worth selling. It took me a lot of years to realize it is more than some beaten and healed bastard Gibson. It is also a symbol of my childhood, of my parents' love, of my personal growth. Next week will be its 40th birthday, and the beginning of the final modification run where it earns this new designation:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	5814679

And now the most shameful part of all this.... The first song I learned comprehensively was

Talk Dirty to Me

Comment

Yeah man....this Christmas is my #1's 40th Birthday. (Actually, I think April was really it).

Heavy thought.....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Sold it a long time ago, and I don't regret it. My first guitar was a Rogue ST4 strat copy. It didn't sound very good(neither did I lol). After a few months I sold it to my cousin and got an Ibanez RG220B, which I still have.
            "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Would you sell the first guitar you ever had?

Still got the first guitar I learned on... it was my mom’s and I play it like once a year and then remember why I don’t like nylon-strings. I’ll never get rid of it though.

Still got my very first guitar... had it for 35 years now and still enjoy playing it.

Lost my first electric (a cheap Lotus LP copy) in the same fire that scarred up my Westone (the one in my avatar). Wish I still had it. Check out one of my senior pictures from 1986: [emoji23]

Really, I’ve always been one to keep them... have sold very few over the years.

I really don’t recall my first song learned. Probably something like “Leaving on a Jet Plane” on acoustic and “Breaking the Law” on electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by BriGuy1968; 06-22-2019, 04:16 PM.
              Originally posted by The Commodores?
              "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I learned on my sisters 1978 Yamaha G-231 classical. Still have it. It’s not worth anything to sell.

First guitar I bought was a 1979 Sears Stratocaster. The neck broke by 1983. Still have the body. Nothing there to sell.

First real guitar I toured with was a 1983 G&L F-100. My dad bought it for me. I later sold it to the rhythm guitar player in my band at the time.

The first real guitar I bought myself was a 1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Still have it, still play it. Will never mod it and would only sell if I am not able to play anymore.

I can’t remember which song I learned all the way through because I’ve always learned 5-6 or more songs at a time. I think the first song I attempted on acoustic was “Pigs On The Wing” because it was very short and just had cowboy chords. The first song I attempted on electric was “Cocaine” because it was only two chords mainly, and just the same barre chord shape moved around. I learned to solo by jamming over records, like “Spoonful” live by Cream, and “Young Man Blues” live by The Who. That’s mainly all I can remember.

Comment

My first guitar was a POS JC Penny catalog guitar from the 80s. My first real guitar was a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top. I had that guitar for 10 years. It was beat to **** but all original. I swapped out the mini humbuckers for a pair of Duncan Hot P90s. It needed frets really bad. I was just out of college and broke and ended up selling it. big mistake....
                  Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                  Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    I did, for drug money. I regret.

Ya'll don't act like 20 something year old me plz.

Life will be so much easier for you if you learn to listen and consider experience instead of everything learned the hard way -like my stubborn a**
                    That Jaguar I learned to play on, I was supposed to trade it for a cassette player but the kid sold it instead...for drug money. (We were 16 or 17.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                      That Jaguar I learned to play on, I was supposed to trade it for a cassette player but the kid sold it instead...for drug money. (We were 16 or 17.)
                      Was it me? ha ha I kid . i kid.

technically my first Guitar I owned was a GTX brand bass -which was a knock off brand from the 80s/90s -which I traded for Drug money when I got a little older

First 6 string guitar I learned to play on was a Kramer Focus 1000 just like this, which my brother took to college and ended my love affair with it.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

At one point, I'd have considered selling my first guitar; now, I never would. Not only do I seem to enjoy it more now on a practical level, but it was my dad's '76 Takamine and he died last year. Visited my mom and found these: My Dad with his Takamine (and my mom) in the late 1970s:

Here he is with the same Takamine in the early '90s (I'm in the pic but not ready to admit which one I might be: )

Dad gave it to me (or I absconded with the guitar, to his approval) when I was fifteen or so, ~2000 . Here's the same guitar now; note the chairs from the above pic, which I saved by getting to the house before the trash man (my dad's favorite - and the only ones that are comfortable on my thighs as well somehow. My mom throws things away with such quickness that I became a very paranoid person: )

Also pictured: Part of my dad's record collection, and my uncle's bass amp. Nice to inherit things and be able to see stuff like that.

I sold my first electric (a crappy-ish plywood Jay Turser) and my first bass (an Epiphone EB-0 that wasn't at all what I wanted at the time) early on, and I don't really regret doing that; even if every so often I get pangs of wanting aspects of them back.
                        Originally posted by King Buzzo
                        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Working...
                        X