Belated NGD - Finally some Authentic content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belated NGD - Finally some Authentic content

A few days ago I visited a friend at a music store. I walked past a collection of used guitars. One of them caught my eye: a 2010 Gibson Trad

Now it didn't look like this on the wall. The lighting made it look like a boring plain top.

Now, being the curious person that I am, I asked to try it out. What's the harm? I have three of this guitar shape and they're all killers.

Big mistake.

Not only was it better than my three MIJ Lawsuits (AND lighter) , it was better than every other Les Paul I've tried out or played I've had the privilege of trying out many standards throughout the year, a Heritage H150, one of those really, really high end Tokais and a few CS Historics. Of that list, only some Historics (not all) and the H150 were on par or slightly better.

For good measure, I A/B'd it with more Gibbies the store had. I A/B'd it with other, more figured flametop trads, a 2000 classic, a 2011 Trad, a 2008 Standard, A friggin 2007 R8 and a CS Black Beauty. This one was the best. I didn't care that it was a swiss cheese guitar, I didn't care that the neck was bowed noticeably, I didn't care that the fingerboard was dry or that the frets were gunky. It was the most resonant, and it sounded great and loud acoustically.

I went home, scored some deals by flipping some gear (guitars, basses, pedals, pickups, even computer parts), and went back to the store the moment it opened the next day.

I've given it some TLC: a proper setup, new strings, handwound PAF "clones", ordered some. Faber stuff to try out (all reversable mods)

I've always thought that the notion that "a guitar picks the player" was horse**** up until I was "called" by a guitar that turned out to be so much better than everything else I've tried. Could be still in the honeymoon phase, but I feel as connected to it as I do my no. 1 Rangka strat.

The nitro finish was a plus too. One of the things that makes this axe so comfy to play

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Re: Belated NGD - Finally some Authentic content

Did you get your perfect guitar
    Just to change all the hardware and pickups ?

If it sounded and played fantastic
    A cleaning and setup would suffice
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

That's sweet. I wouldn't change a dang thing on that, other than the strings.

Comment

I totally get it. If it doesn't sound good unplugged, it's not gonna sound good plugged in. I have a guy who never plugs in at the store. He says, "I can make it sound as bad as I want at home".
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Congratulations!! I love my 2013 Traditional. Good to see someone find a guitar that’s a great fit for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Did you get your perfect guitar
            Just to change all the hardware and pickups ?

If it sounded and played fantastic
            A cleaning and setup would suffice
            No, the pickups were "eh" at the start.

I liked the guitar *acoustically*

I agree on the hardware, which is why all the mods are reversible. I just *wanted* to try things out. If I liked the stock stuff better, I can always drop them back on.

Last edited by Archer250; 08-12-2019, 07:33 PM.
            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Also, it was kinda a financial decision

I already had those PUs lying around doing nothing (because I sold the guitar that had them), and 57 classics can be sold at a higher price (hell, they start off AT a higher price)

Comment

i love my lp trad, 2009 i think, but i didnt love the 57 classics that were in there. thats a beautiful guitar! enjoy

Comment

It is a beautiful guitar

I played my Gibson for about a year or so
                  And made the same decision with some aftermarket pickups I had laying around
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wow, that looks great!

Glad you decided to grab it when you did!

Comment

Man, that guitar is gorgeous! I love the more subtle flame top and the color.

Good choice.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Love the subtle flames! Stunning guitar, no doubt about it.

Comment

Indeed

Comment

Working...
                          X