CITES changes in the works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CITES changes in the works?

The finished goods for musical instruments portion was ridiculous. I get it though, as if only raw logs/lumber were controlled, they’d just find a way to build all the furniture where it’s harvested.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Plus it's less expensive and works very well. Also, the sawdust doesn't make me sneeze like ebony dust will.
    I’ve heard exotic wood dust can be rather harmful to your lungs. (From my woodworker friend)
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      The finished goods for musical instruments portion was ridiculous. I get it though, as if only raw logs/lumber were controlled, they’d just find a way to build all the furniture where it’s harvested.

I’ve heard exotic wood dust can be rather harmful to your lungs. (From my woodworker friend)
      Black Limba dust can kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        Black Limba dust can kill you.
        I know wenge and padouk can cause rashes.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I couldn't find a picture what white streaked ebony looks like, but it does sound actually better for looks than usual dull jet black ebony boards.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            I couldn't find a picture what white streaked ebony looks like, but it does sound actually better for looks than usual dull jet black ebony boards.
            I wouldn't call it white, but lighter/brownish. On one of my guitars I have an ebony board white a light stripe - hiding exactly under the A string. I actually kinda like it - the "imperfection" makes it looks less designed and more natural.

Comment

I think Kiesel uses the striped ebony in a lot of their builds.

Comment

The owner or Taylor guitars owns the worlds stock of African Ebony.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I had never played a guitar with ebony until I played a Taylor. It's a lovely wood for a fingerboard. The grain is so much tighter than rosewood, it feels awesome.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I think Kiesel uses the striped ebony in a lot of their builds.
                    Yep sandard ebony boards can have some streaking all black is an upcharge now and with really highly streaked ebony they call it royal Ebony and charge more for it. Was about to post this. Here is one with a Royal Ebony Board from their instock section
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Royal Ebony Kiesel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	5816892
                    Last edited by Ascension; 08-29-2019, 10:01 AM.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The irony is that guitar players want perfectly black ebony with extremely tight, nearly invisible grain. Ok, how about Richlite, it’s all these things? WHAT?!?! NO?!?! That’s not natural wood!
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        The irony is that guitar players want perfectly black ebony with extremely tight, nearly invisible grain. Ok, how about Richlite, it’s all these things? WHAT?!?! NO?!?! That’s not natural wood!
                        Richlite burns at a higher temperature so it's safer for shredding on too . . .

:P
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Richlite also comes in all kinds of patterns and colors, but they only use black for guitars, for some odd reason.

Comment

Working...
                          X