No announcement yet.

String Set With Heavier Treble Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: String Set With Heavier Treble Strings?

Yep, damn cold meds got me all messed up.

I seem to recall something like that too.

Here ya go, .010-.038

Last edited by Hsb; 09-04-2019, 02:02 PM.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      thats an 11 set on the bottom and a touch lighter on top which is kinda the opposite of what the op was asking for. i swear there used to be a 10-38 set out there somewhere but i cant find anything currently
      Yeah, that’s the Jimi/Duane/Wayne Krantz set I mentioned. Wasn’t it called Rock Light, or something?
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Here's what I went with: 12, 15, 22, 28, 36, 48. Does this seem like a good set or should I go back and get some different ones? I don't quite want to try them on yet as I'm waiting for a new bridge to come in first.

Will this require any trussrod, nut, or saddle adjustments?

Comment

thats an odd set but you can try it if ya want. the 15 is gonna be lower tension than the 12 and 22 but if it works, then run with it. im assuming the 22 is wound?

youll probably have to adjust the trussrod for relief and saddles for intonation with the new set

Comment

The 22 is not wound. Should it be?

Comment

Fender is making a Jimi Hendrix .010-.038 set. I remember playing something like that once, and thinking that it felt a little wonky. Not a fan of the heavy/light sets, at all.

Comment

I changed the strings up to this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190904-182016_Chrome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	5816958

My last set of strings was a set of slinkies that was 11ish on the bottom and 10 up top. How will the tremolo react with more tension? Will it get more range?

Comment

If you float the trem, then you will have to wholly readjust to reclaim equilibrium.......otherwise as you tune up strings, the previous ones go flat and the base just pulls further and further forward.

Trem Range is a function of physical space.......if you haven't routed the guitar at the same time you change strings, then range of trem movement remains the same.
                  Additionally, I think you need to bend further to get the same pitch change on heavier strings if memory serves. So the same physical arm movement may well result in fractionally less pitch change.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                    Fender is making a Jimi Hendrix .010-.038 set. I remember playing something like that once, and thinking that it felt a little wonky. Not a fan of the heavy/light sets, at all.
                    That used to be a standard Fender set, they recently stopped having that gauge in the regular line and re-introduced it as the Hendrix set, as he was a popular user of that gauge (although others used the same gauge back in the early 60's, it was one of the only rock gauges around back then). Other companies also make that gauge, I think DR might, and I know that you can get 10-38 Pyramid Classics.
                    Al

Comment

Originally posted by Driver Blues View Post
                      The 22 is not wound. Should it be?
                      I played with .11s with a wound third for several years with my Epi Dot. It sounds great, but if you're a fan of bending the G string be aware that it's going to be radically more difficult. That's the reason I eventually went back.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                        That used to be a standard Fender set, they recently stopped having that gauge in the regular line and re-introduced it as the Hendrix set, as he was a popular user of that gauge (although others used the same gauge back in the early 60's, it was one of the only rock gauges around back then). Other companies also make that gauge, I think DR might, and I know that you can get 10-38 Pyramid Classics.
                        Al
                        I think they purged quite a few non-standard sets from their line recently, including the .009–.040 set that I swore to for years as well. Admittedly, the only difference to their .009–.042 set is the thick E string, but whilst I can definitely live with that, I would prefer the less boomy sound of the .040 any day of the week, even if it means that I have to watch my right hand more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                          I think they purged quite a few non-standard sets from their line recently, including the .009–.040 set that I swore to for years as well. Admittedly, the only difference to their .009–.042 set is the thick E string, but whilst I can definitely live with that, I would prefer the less boomy sound of the .040 any day of the week, even if it means that I have to watch my right hand more.
                          The Fender 9-40 set was the second "rock" string set that Fender came out with back in the Sixties, after the 10-38 gauge set. At the time, Gibson also had a 9-40 set and Fender wanted a set that was light but a little more balanced than the 10-38. This was before Ernie Ball came out with Super Slinkies, after that all the string companies went with EB's gauges and the sets became standardized, when before the gauges used by different companies were all over the place.
                          Al

Comment

Robin Trower uses combination heavy unwound and light wound strings because he does a lot of bending.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                              The Fender 9-40 set was the second "rock" string set that Fender came out with back in the Sixties, after the 10-38 gauge set. At the time, Gibson also had a 9-40 set and Fender wanted a set that was light but a little more balanced than the 10-38. This was before Ernie Ball came out with Super Slinkies, after that all the string companies went with EB's gauges and the sets became standardized, when before the gauges used by different companies were all over the place.
                              Al
                              That sounds just about right. It surprised me greatly, though, that this set went out of production, owing to the EVH connection. It is well known that he used these on the first Van Halen albums, and considering the lengths some people go to emulate him I would think there would be a market for them, but apparently not. Beats me.

Comment

Working...
                              X