Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners

Scored a set on Reverb for $40 shipped, just put them on my SE CU24. Aside from the screw holes not lining up with the old ones and needing to do drill some tiny holes tomorrow, these things are awesome. Had no idea how the auto trim worked before, but it’s the coolest bell & whistle I’ve ever seen on a piece of gear.

They look nice and operate very smoothly, also.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners

Does the auto trim feature eliminate that string end that acts like a hypodermic on your fingers when you try to wipe down the headstock?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't used them, but heard great reviews, so next time I need tuners, those will probably be the ones to choose.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Demonic- Yes. The hole in the post is slanted, and there’s a little collar around the base of the post that covers the lower side of the hole as it’s turned. You align the post so the hole is at the edge of the collar, put the string through the high side, tighten the thumb wheel, and as you tune it, the excess string gets cut off by the collar’s edge. If you do it right, the cut off end is covered by the collar, as well.

Mincer- I have open gear Hipshots on another guitar. They look cooler, but the PW tuners operate more nicely. It’s worth mentioning that the chrome model has a black post, but unless you’re super OCD, everything else about them is so cool you won’t care.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I wouldn't mind the black post- it gives them a unique look.

Comment

I kind of wish I’d put cheap strings on the guitar so they’d wear out quickly and I could use the auto trim feature again.

Comment

I hate these tuners with a passion. Perhaps my set is just old, but the high E always, always slips. I'm still thinking of making or finding a hardened steel pin that fits the shaft perfectly, like a Sperzel tuner, as an extension of the pillar that's connected to the thumb wheel on the back to lock the string in place. If that could get sorted, these would be epic.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I kind of wish I’d put cheap strings on the guitar so they’d wear out quickly and I could use the auto trim feature again.
                Don't use Dunlop heavy cores.

Comment

Comment

My Ehdwuld branded semihollow has the black set of PW autotrim
                    I like them
                    But you must remember to get a grip on those high e strings before they cut
                    They are real hard to dig out of carpet
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Do the ends of the strings go flying when they are cut?

Comment

I used to have a set back in the day. Zero issues. Great tuners. Very stable and smooth with a nice gear ratio. Mine didn't slip at all, and they held tuning beautifully.

I like these hell of a lot more than Sperzels, personally. Much better gear ratio. In fact, not to say they are unusable, but Sperzels would be one of my last choices when it comes to locking tuners. Back in the day, Sperzels were THE locking tuners. Nowadays, there are just so many more (and dare I say better) options.

Comment

I think tuners are one of those things on a guitar that is due for a big revolution. If we weren't so concerned with them looking traditional, I am sure there could be a better way to do the tuning thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I think tuners are one of those things on a guitar that is due for a big revolution. If we weren't so concerned with them looking traditional, I am sure there could be a better way to do the tuning thing.
                            Gibson thought so too. That's why we're all using robot tuners now. :P
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I love the idea behind the Planet Waves tuners, but I've had a couple fail/strip as the string was trimming. That was on 9-42 strings, nothing heavy!

Also had slippage issues with a couple strings. Had to warranty 2 different sets bought a couple years apart. Last was probably 6 years ago, so *maybe* they're improved?

Comment

Working...
                              X