Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Couldn’t live without a Strat

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
    Strats look cool and I love so many guys that have played them, but I've sold everyone I've ever had. I prefer a flatter radius, shorter scale, and humbuckers. SGs and Vs are pretty much it for me. Still got a tele though.
    You should try some older model G&L Legacy HBs. Basic Strat formula, but humbuckers, Gibson radius, and medium frets. Can't help with the scale, though...but if everything else was in place, maybe you'd learn to adjust to the regular scale. Be aware that a couple years ago, G&L went to 9 1/2" radius as standard, not 12" like they used as the standard for many, many years.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      You should try some older model G&L Legacy HBs. Basic Strat formula, but humbuckers, Gibson radius, and medium frets. Can't help with the scale, though...but if everything else was in place, maybe you'd learn to adjust to the regular scale. Be aware that a couple years ago, G&L went to 9 1/2" radius as standard, not 12" like they used as the standard for many, many years.
      Weird - The Tributes seemed to stick with 12" where it's an option on the US guitars. As far as shorter scale I know some MIJ Fenders used Gibson scale (though I'm not as big a fan of MIJ Fenders as other people anyway,) I think those were mostly 'contemporary' models with humbuckers etc.

(Another G&L/Tribute peculiar thing, if you look at the Tribute Superhawk/Rampage body it is much closer to the vintage shape than the US Superhawk/Rampage; the same goes for the modern F100 reissues. Lucky they seemed to have 'fixed' the US Skyhawk body shape though.)
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Strats look cool and I love so many guys that have played them, but I've sold everyone I've ever had. I prefer a flatter radius, shorter scale, and humbuckers. SGs and Vs are pretty much it for me. Still got a tele though.
        Strats with some of these modifications are some of my favorite instruments.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          It took 6 months after getting rid of my Strat to realize I’m not happy without one.

In the final death throes of my 2019 Gear Binge & Purge, I traded the SE Tremonti for a pretty slick 2006 MIM Fat Strat. It’s black, rosewood board, stock everything. Have a zebra Custom 5 (plus an A2 mag) on the way to drop in it.

I liked the Tremonti a lot, but I never end up bonding with guitars with finished necks. That one was in almost pristine condition, and I couldn’t bring myself to strip it. After giving the black Strat some TLC, SIT 11-50 strings, and a quick setup, I plugged it into my upstairs amp (Spider IV 15), and realized I made the right choice.

My S2 and SE Custom 24 aren’t going anywhere, but I feel better with some Fendery goodness back in my life. However, after years of Texas Specials, those ceramic stock singles are horrendous. Considering I’ll probably convert the C5 to a CC, what should I use for the neck & middle? I loved the Texas Specials, but wouldn’t mind something different, and I’d like to go SD.
          Feel you. For me it's not Strats it's Carvin Kiesels and I'm addicted. Tried to get away from them a couple times always come back. Finally surrendered and own 6. Bottom line if it works for you own and use it!!
          My choice on the pickups would be the Custom 5 with a pair of Texas Hot singles.
          Last edited by Ascension; 10-26-2019, 11:55 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Strats with some of these modifications are some of my favorite instruments.
            For years I've toyed with the idea of getting a Warmoth 24 3/4" scale conversion neck. I've got an old MIM strat body laying around just waiting to get tinkered with, so maybe it'll happen.
            "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              srvs setup is high but not stupid high. the 13 on the high e is the only tough one, but as you said tuned down a half step it isnt as crazy as ya think.
              If I recall correctly, Stevie used .013 .015 .019 .028 .038 .058 and sometimes swapped the 13 for an 11. The lighter gauges and the down tuning make a little easier to handle.

Of course, having Stevie's talent and iron grip helps.
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I know it's all individualized hand geometry and comfort -but maybe I'm in the minority -I don't prefer the feel of a Strat or a Les Paul -but I love the feel of the very late 50s and 60s Gibson with flat wide necks like LP Jrs, Specials and SGs, and post 50s Telecasters.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                  If I recall correctly, Stevie used .013 .015 .019 .028 .038 .058 and sometimes swapped the 13 for an 11. The lighter gauges and the down tuning make a little easier to handle.

Of course, having Stevie's talent and iron grip helps.
                  If you notice, that’s an 11 set with heavy E strings. It’s not light, but 4 of the 6 aren’t really heavy, either. Tune them down 1/2 step, and the middle 4 feel like a set of 10s.

Awhile back, I heard Jeff Boeber (so?) talking abou getting to play #1. He said it wasn’t anything like you would expect, and wasn’t that tough to play.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Strats look cool and I love so many guys that have played them

I used to think that too, that Strats looked cool, but after seeing thousands over the decades, it's become a cliche anymore. So many guys have bought them because of Jimi & SRV, but have no idea how to EQ theirs. Some guys can make them sing, and others sound shrill.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      If you notice, that’s an 11 set with heavy E strings.
                      Ding ding! Gold star for you. Many times I have said SRV used strings closer to an 11 set and people always want to argue. I had read where René Martinez was always trying to convince Stevie he didn't have to work so hard to get his desired tone.

*edit* The GHS set sold on René’s site as the SRV set are 011P, 015P, 019P, N28, N38, N58
                      Last edited by Ayrton; 10-29-2019, 05:06 PM.
                      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                        Ding ding! Gold star for you. Many times I have said SRV used strings closer to an 11 set and people always want to argue. I had read where René Martinez was always trying to convince Stevie he did have to work so hard to get his desired tone.

*edit* The GHS set sold on René’s site as the SRV set are 011P, 015P, 019P, N28, N38, N58
                        Yes, the .013 E, even tuned down, is a bear, but the .058 isn’t any harder to bend than a lighter string. With that much material to grab onto, it doesn’t feel like as much tension as it is.

Look at how popular a 10-52 set is, and no one ever goes, “Man, that’s the low strings from a .012 set! How can you play those?”
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                        X