Headstock Finish repair questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock Finish repair questions

Hello! Promised my boy a new PRS CE24 as his first real US built guitar. Found a 90’s one that was listed as mint and flawless so I took the bait and the cheap way out and bought it. The body is flawless but the headstock has a series of chips on the non-painted side. Is it possible to repair damage like this on the cheap and get it looking 100%? Being a CE it’s a satin finish on a maple neck. It was hard to photograph but I’ve included one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A0173631-79D0-41EE-963B-263599603C92.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	5853005

Thanks!
    "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Re: Headstock Finish repair questions

Honestly, for a 90s one, if that is the only issue, you are lucky. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If it’s lacquer then it’s quite fixable, if it’s poly then superglue is actually pretty phenomenal to patch the finish. I wouldn’t bother with it to be honest, your son will adore it as-is.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Thanks everybody for weighing in - I will think on what to do from here.
        "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Comment

Those are so minimal, I wouldn't worry about it. Indeed, if it's really from the '90s and in that condition, you are incredibly fortunate. If your son plays it properly, it'll see more wear than that as it ages

Comment

When he first picks it up walk past him, and bump the headstock

Tell him you just did it

He'll forgive you
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

That is NOT worth worrying about. Give it to the kid and tell him to play it until his fingers fall off.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

A 'quick and dirty' repair would be to drop a tiny bit of satin poly into each chip, ensuring it flows throughout the chip. Might make them less visible.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                X